News   Apr 26, 2024
 432     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 349     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 546     0 

VIA Rail

"The current rail tunnel is used extensively for freight by CP Railway and is not available for passenger use."

Honestly screw CPR. I realize they are a private organization but they are the blight of passenger rail in Canada.

Yeah they are here to make a profit but I'm sure they get zero government subsides and tax breaks from the feds *rolls eyes*

The tunnel is only unavailable because a few freight trains need to use it, but more because no one has discussed the price yet. Why would CP offer up free use of something its shareholders invested money in?

Now, if someone suggested building a new tunnel that would accommodate HSR and could be uses by CP's competitors at off hours.... watch CP squirm!

- Paul

"The current rail tunnel is used extensively for freight by CP Railway and is not available for passenger use."

Honestly screw CPR. I realize they are a private organization but they are the blight of passenger rail in Canada.

Yeah they are here to make a profit but I'm sure they get zero government subsides and tax breaks from the feds *rolls eyes*

That tunnel once had many more trains serving it, including several passenger trains a day. CP runs some freights through, yes, but nothing like the Michigan Central days.

The reality is that US but also to some extent Canadian immigration "formalities" are not conducive to efficient cross border rail operations except in cases where the train only serves one destination in Canada (Vancouver, Montreal).

I would think there are far higher priorities for Detroit-area heavy rail such as getting Ann Arbor commuter rail going, maybe some service to/from Toledo or extending Pontiac trains to Flint, than service to/from Windsor and certainly than to/from the rest of Ontario.

It's always good strategically to have potential opponents/critics are flushed out into the open, where one can address their concerns ahead of the full debate.

Gormick has flogged the High-Performance concept before. All this says to me is that it hasn't been forgotten and may have gained some supporters out there. It's a pretty pragmatic package and I can't say I disagree with it per se, it may in fact align with what is needed west of Toronto, and it's doable.

The significance of this news piece is - it's a reminder that when the formal political debate on HFR happens, every community west of Toronto will ask the same question... "What's in it for us?". VIA needs to have an answer for this. The HFR proposal must have to have a spending and service design for Toronto-Windsor even if the Havelock-Quebec is where the big investment happens. A "manyana" promise won't cut it.

The other interesting note in this article is the hint that Wynne's HSR is firmly opposed in the hinterland. If you take that at face value, she may lose interest in the idea pre-election..... or Brown may come up with a more basic and less extravagant sounding pitch of his own. Frankly, their Tories might do well to dig out Gormick's HP paper and run with it as their Windsor-Toronto strategy.

I'm not sure I have a link to the HP paper, but it's out there for thise who care to hunt for it. Edit: it's here

- Paul

Last edited:
Interesting article that discusses the prospect of seeing passenger service connecting Windsor and Detroit, and beyond. Still a long way off however.

Moroun looks to bring passenger trains back to landmark Detroit station
Windsor Star - September 20th, 2017

Why would anyone need this? I pay $5 and use the Windsor public transit to get to Detroit if I want to cross the border.

His station is not close to downtown nor the existing transit lines. The Amtrack station is right next to the Q-Line and not in a sketchy area of town. They are also planning to use this station for a commuter train to Ann Arbor.

He just wants public handouts.

The existing Amtrak station in Detroit isn't in an amazing location, but it is right off Woodward Avenue, with good (for Detroit) transit - local D-DOT buses, a limited-stop D-DOT/SMART route to the suburbs, and the new QLine Streetcar. It's closer to Wayne State University and the satellite campuses of UofM and MSU. It's also set up for the route north to Pontiac (and, potentially, Flint).

The only thing near Michigan Central Station is a gentrifying area known as Corktown, including Slow's BBQ. Transit on Michigan Avenue isn't nearly as good as it is on Woodward. MCS' one advantage is that it's at the tunnel. It would be great if VIA could route its trains into it, with Canadian and US customs and immigration in the station building, but that's the only advantage right now. (VIA would have to build a new Windsor station on the CP line too, and re-route its trains onto the busier CP route from its exclusive ex-CN Chatham-Windsor route). It doesn't make a great commuter rail terminal for trains from Ann Arbor because there's another mile to go before you reach downtown, and the tracks leading downtown (where there once were commuter train stations) are gone.

I think the question of rerouting VIA on CP to the MCS is - how many actual riders does this bring in, since you're only connecting locally rather than to Michigan/Illinois services?

If the Q-Line was tunnelled to Ouellette on the Windsor side and a joint CBSA/CBP terminus, the need for the current Windsor Tunnel Buses would be eliminated and the Q-Line streetcars would have a long charge under-wire before emerging back in Detroit. It would cost a crap-ton of money (especially when you consider how little has been spent to build Q-Line) but it would actually move people to and fro who are already moving to and fro but subject to tunnel delays (and more of whom would have a one-seat ride if heading to destinations along Woodward beyond the immediate downtown), and move them to central downtown Detroit rather than the Speculated Land of the Morouns.

More details here on how VIA will get their assets out of Churchill:

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Photo by Patricia Sinclair
You may recall that VIA's Winnipeg-Churchill train has been stranded in Churchill, Manitoba for months, since flooding severed the line in May. No work has been done to repair the track so the two locomotives and five passenger cars have been sitting by the station.

Soon VIA Rail's trapped train set is going to be extracted from Churchill by ship.

Two If By Sea
The CBC and the Winnipeg Free Press are reporting that the MV Nunalik is bringing 2.2 million litres of propane to Churchill, and it will take the two locomotives and five train cars to Quebec afterward.

A set of rail panels and ties appeared in Churchill in mid September and many people speculated they were going to be used for transferring the VIA trainset to a ship.

I expect the track will be laid on the ship and then the cars will be individually hoisted aboard.

The Nunalik
The MV Nunalik is a heavy lift ship with its own cranes on board (2 x 180 tonne), so it is certainly capable of lifting a locomotive or passenger car. It is new to the Inuit-owned NEAS fleet serving the North. It was built in China in 2009 so it is pretty new.

The news articles suggest the ship will arrive in Churchill on October 8th but the NEAS schedule shows October 13th as the arrival date and October 15th as the departure date. The CBC is also calling the Nunalik a "barge", which is wrong.

Nail in the Coffin
I don't think anyone blames VIA Rail for doing this. It's October and nothing has been done to fix the rail line, and the construction season is just about over for the year. There's no chance of getting the train out by rail this year, and as VIA indicated in an interview for the Free Press, the train is starting to rust. They have to preserve their asset.

It's just a very visible indication that the rail line isn't getting fixed this year. And that sucks.

See Also

Steve Boyko at 10/04/2017 11:08:00 pm

Bombardier's good news is more than just about the CSeries, the rail division, although doing poorly in Canada, has sprung back in Europe:

From tomorrow's Times of London:
Big order for Bombardier train unit
Robert Lea, Industrial Editor

October 17 2017, 12:01am, The Times

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F2dd300de-b2a2-11e7-a7ed-96e3d3dae681.jpg

The plant in Derby has received an order for 333 electric carriages to run on the West Midlands Trains franchise
Times Newspapers Ltd

Bombardiers’ train assembly plant in Derby has emerged as the big winner in an order for rolling stock in Birmingham and on the main line to London.

With thousands of jobs under a cloud in Belfast, amid a trade dispute between Bombardier’s aerospace company and Boeing, Derby has received an order for 333 electric carriages to run on the new West Midlands Trains franchise.

The contract is reckoned to be worth about £500 million to Bombardier and comes after a £900 million order last year from Abellio for 665 electric train carriages to run on the East Anglia franchise.

From December, the Midlands commuter franchise will be run by Abellio, the British division of the Dutch state railway, in partnership with JR East, a Japanese…[...]
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/big-order-for-bombardier-train-unit-dzhxzsgmt

One of the concerns for Airbus and Boeing alike was the Chinese poised to buy into the CSeries Division:
[...]
There had been speculation that the Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China, the state-owned planemaker usually known as Comac, could invest in or buy the divisions. It was the potential for Comac to become an investor in Bombardier that was reckoned to be, in part, behind Boeing’s attempts to ensure a US embargo on Bombardier selling 75 of its C-Series aircraft to Delta Air Lines.

Comac’s C919 aircraft, which is in development, is the aircraft feared by Boeing and Airbus because if it can be delivered as a credible short-haul rival, that would significantly diminish the opportunities in the Chinese market for Boeing 737 and the Airbus A320.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...-to-workers-at-troubled-plane-maker-6lpg09bnj

CRRC is likewise poised to buy into, or outright, Bombardier's Rail Division Cdn operations. I suspect you'll be reading more on this in the Cdn press shortly. It could do for the Rail Division as what Airbus has done for the CSeries.

Halifax councillor says commuter rail may soon get green light

STUART PEDDLE The Chronicle Herald
Published October 17, 2017 - 8:04pm
Last Updated October 18, 2017 - 8:28am

Coun. Tim Outhit says commuter rail for the Halifax Regional Municipality has “never been closer.”

Frustrated commuters may get some relief in the near future if Outhit’s prediction is correct, as the city is set to consider commuter rail as part of the overall Integrated Mobility Plan study.

Outhit, who represents District 16, Bedford-Wentworth, said the study is coming to council’s committee of the whole in the first week of December.

The IMP touches on many aspects of municipal transportation in general but also will include data on rail service along the corridor from downtown to Windsor Junction.

“It’s going to look at active transportation, cycling, bus rapid transit, bus lanes, and I’m pretty confident that it’s going to recommend commuter rail in this corridor,” Outhit said.

Commuter rail has been discussed and studied for years as a potential means to mitigate traffic snarls into and out of downtown Halifax. A feasibility study completed in 2015, conducted by CPCS, suggested how it would work through several scenarios, including how far the system would extend and what rail cars could be used. It concluded the concept would be feasible but was too expensive.

But in 2016, Via Rail approached HRM with a proposal that would bring both the startup and operational costs down.

“Via’s come along and said, ‘Listen, we can work with you and get that pricing down significantly,’ so that is the opportunity with Via,” Outhit said, adding that he and Mayor Mike Savage went to a recent meeting of Via Rail’s board of directors.

He said the studies are basically done. The proposal just needs data on access capacity and the pricing from CN, which owns the existing rail structure. He expects that will come sometime early in the next year.

While Outhit couldn’t say it’s definitely going to happen, he sounded confident that the data will point in that direction.

“It’s never been closer,” Outhit said. “I can’t tell people we’re going to have commuter rail. I can tell them there’s never been better support from a willing partner like Via, we’ve never had more council and public support. And staff support. We’re going to have the IMP recommending that it’s probably the best way to go in this area.”

He said once everything gets a green light, it could be up and running within a year to a year-and-a-half.

Tim Hayman, webmaster and board member for the public transportation advocacy group Transport Action Atlantic, welcomed the news that commuter rail may be going forward.

“Certainly on our part, we’d be very happy to see that.” Hayman said. “The commuter rail thing is something that we’ve been particularly supportive of, partly because of the clear benefits that come from that as something that provides potentially a much more efficient and environmentally responsible form of transportation. And certainly (it’s) an option that is far superior to all of those cars that are plugging up the Bedford Highway coming in.”
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/...r-says-commuter-rail-may-soon-get-green-light

Back