News   May 03, 2024
 976     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 598     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 287     0 

VIA Rail

And everything points to the company that owns the track to not wanting it repair the track (a lot was washed out due to floods the kind that no one has ever seen) as it was operating at a loss so the barge is probably going to be the only way to get it out.
There seems to be some dispute about just how extensive the damage actually is. The problem is, even if it were cheaper for VIA to contribute to reconstruction rather than rescue, Omnitrax just wants rid of the track entirely. (And of course some within VIA would probably not be too sad at abandonment either, given how much would be saved in operating costs)

There seems to be some dispute about just how extensive the damage actually is. The problem is, even if it were cheaper for VIA to contribute to reconstruction rather than rescue, Omnitrax just wants rid of the track entirely. (And of course some within VIA would probably not be too sad at abandonment either, given how much would be saved in operating costs)

My guess is that Omnitrax is holding out to try to get a large annual operating subsidy from the gov't. Not sure if it is justifiable vs Canada purchasing the tracks and rebuilding. But it is a priority to continue to have access to the North.

So why is such an essential link been sold to foreigners?

I think there is a key difference between an essential link and the owner. Anyone can own the infrastructure so long as there are rules that ensure it is maintained and accessible. Foreign ownership is a red herring.

The only user of Churchill of any significant size was the CWB. When its monopoly ended it was the swan song of the Port of Churchill. No matter if the owner was Canadian or American the rail line and port activities would shut down eventually. It was just sooner than anticipated with the flooding.

Creating isolationist policies like foreign ownership restrictions (other then technology needed for security) is a bad idea for Canada. Our pension plans and companies are huge owners of infrastructure around the globe.

But having a port accessible by train so close to the arctic is a fairly important piece of infrastructure. My view is the Cdn gov't needs to step in and subsidize this line (or alternatively build an army base which uses the tracks...an indirect subsidy).

But having a port accessible by train so close to the arctic is a fairly important piece of infrastructure. My view is the Cdn gov't needs to step in and subsidize this line (or alternatively build an army base which uses the tracks...an indirect subsidy).
The 'national defence' aspect can't be overlooked. I think there must be consideration to re-acquiring the line federally, and using *Armed Forces* personnel to repair the damage. It's a required expertise of almost all other advanced nations to have a unit in the military devoted to exactly that.

Putin's peaking over the horizon, we're already failing badly with the naval presence in the North, this could be a very *economical* way to keep a big foot on Hudson't Bay and points north. There's no other way to move large amounts of heavy equipment this far north (other than limited and highly expensive airlift or very slow ship) to what should be a northern naval base. As to what loading the tracks could/would take over muskeg and permafrost is good question, but this is a question that should be answered by inquisitive and connected minds.

Normally I'd say there's no case to be had to keep investing in this line, but defensive ones trump that.

My guess is that Omnitrax is holding out to try to get a large annual operating subsidy from the gov't. Not sure if it is justifiable vs Canada purchasing the tracks and rebuilding. But it is a priority to continue to have access to the North.
Not necessarily by rail though. (For clarity, I mean a road instead)

Not necessarily by rail though. (For clarity, I mean a road instead)
Yeah, there's talk of a highway now making a competitive business case, if not a better one. There's still other factors to be considered though. One of the downsides of the rail is the incredible ease of sabotage in times of crisis. Highway wouldn't be immune by any means, but much more resilient to sabotage and repair after.

This is a serious issue, just not for the ones the media is fixated on right now though. And then there's the case of the icebreakers...

Churchill isn't anywhere that is critical for defense or for heavy goods delivery. There are so many other towns and cities in the far north that get by without rail access, it's hard to make the case for this one town to have it, especially if the money to fix the line could be better spent.

VIA has had a good run on this route, but there will be very little impact if the line is abandoned.

- Paul

No rail = no port (for shipments out, like wheat). = no jobs = no population = No Churchill.

There are no shipments out now. Churchill is still there. Eighty per cent of tourists arrive by plane anyways. So long as Churchill has an airport, it is on equal footing with every other town in the North. So long as it has an airport and polar bears, it has an economic purpose and a job base.

A bit of history - Churchill was not the original choice as terminus of the Hudson's Bay Railway. In fact, the original right of way had been graded to a different proposed port a little further south when the plan was changed and a second line was constructed, favouring Churchill. That original alignment can still be seen on aerial photgraphs including Google maps. The point being, the decision to give Churchill a railway was a bit arbitrary and unless there is actual value being derived from the line, it can be taken away.

If the line were actually serving as an economic driver, I would be the first to argue for its retention, It isn't delivering any goods.

- Paul

But having a port accessible by train so close to the arctic is a fairly important piece of infrastructure.

Military here. Churchill is simply not strategic from a military point of view. I know from my Navy buddies that there are port developments at Iqaluit and Res Bay, setting them up as the two vital ports being developed especially as the Arctic patrol vessel comes online next year.

On the air side, we don't use Churchill at all.

Last edited:
(And of course some within VIA would probably not be too sad at abandonment either, given how much would be saved in operating costs)
You are underestimating what importance the Churchill line has to VIA: there has been a close cooperation with the tourism industry in Northern Manitoba which has allowed to significantly grow the tourism markets during the seasons for watching polar bears (July to November), Whales (June to August) and the Northern lights (January to March and August/September). This has helped to significantly improve the performance of the Winnipeg-Churchill train, yielding a higher cost-recovery and lower per-passenger-mile-subsidy figure in the last two years than the Toronto-Niagara service:
upload_2017-6-27_21-57-8.png

In fact, the timing of the washout could not have come any worse, as polar bear season is just about to take off and would have brought in many tourists, many of which are prepared to pay Sleeper class fares. Even worse, hundreds of Canada 150 Youth Pass holders were already getting excited about discovering the northernmost city of this country, which can still be realistically reached without expensive plane tickets, and would have probably shared their adventures with many thousands of young Canadians via Social Media, spreading the word about this hidden gem (ask anyone who's been up their) and thus creating more tourist interest in this remote area over the next years.

Instead, the passholders had to rebook on the other VIA trains, thus putting additional stress onto the capacity on the Canadian and the Ocean (just go on viarail.ca and try to book any seat in Economy on any departure in July on either service) and we have one trainset stuck in Churchill while we are anticipating 4,000 travel-hungry youngsters and countless tourists from all over the world for this country's sesquicentennial anniversary this July, which is already one of the busiest months in a normal year...

Churchill isn't anywhere that is critical for defense or for heavy goods delivery. There are so many other towns and cities in the far north that get by without rail access, it's hard to make the case for this one town to have it, especially if the money to fix the line could be better spent.

VIA has had a good run on this route, but there will be very little impact if the line is abandoned.

- Paul
Rail and port access in Churchill does not only play a crucial role for Churchill itself, but also for all the Arctic communities even further north, who depend on transport channels for basically everything and now face a severe crisis. I have no idea what providing or subsidising services to the north costs every year (except for VIA's Churchill service, which was apparently $17,565,000 or $0.49 per Canadian last year), but I'm from a country where richer Bundesländer (Germany's equivalent for provinces) pay billions every year through the Länderfinanzausgleich to fund their poorer peers. The same happens in the European Union and in both cases with the explicit goal of helping achieve a convergence of living standards and prosperity across the respective territories and populations, as exemplified by the EU's Economic and Social Cohersion strategy.

If there is one thing I admire about this country, it's its demographic, geographic, climatic and environmental diversity and as someone who has travelled this country from-coast-to-coast (and itches to explore the real North), I believe that even if it sometimes comes at a price for us taxpayers, the cost pales against all benefits...

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-27_21-57-8.png
    upload_2017-6-27_21-57-8.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

Back