News   Apr 25, 2024
 256     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 834     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 837     0 

VIA Rail

For the "in planning", could someone remind me what the "new" routes would be in Eastern Canada? IE what's not served right now?

A new Halifax-Moncton train to supplement the Ocean has been talked about for a while. I would really like to see that service, if it happens, extended to Saint John.

So. Let's assume there's an HFR announcement tomorrow. My question is, can HFR be built to make progressive speed improvements with grade separations wider curves, etc. over time or are we stuck with what we build?

So. Let's assume there's an HFR announcement tomorrow. My question is, can HFR be built to make progressive speed improvements with grade separations wider curves, etc. over time or are we stuck with what we build?

Lots of things can be added over time..... diesel today, electric tomorrow, etc.....but refurbishing a track bed and then moving it would be pretty wasteful, where there are culverts, bridges, or interlockings that have to be made serviceable now but replaced or shifted when the upgrade happens. Small scale things would certainly be possible later, like easing individual curves or completing grade separation over time.

- Paul

looks like bad assumption

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...id=rss1&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The federal budget is not expected to announce new money toward VIA Rail’s proposed “high-frequency” rail. Liberal MPs had pushed hard for Mr. Morneau to support the plan to double-track parts of the rail line along the Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto corridor. The plan would allow VIA’s passenger trains to offer more frequent and faster service by no longer having to wait for freight trains, which have priority on the existing tracks.

While the federally owned passenger rail company has said most of the project could be financed by the private sector, it is looking for Ottawa to spend about $1-billion on new trains. Last year’s budget gave Transport Canada $3.3-million over three years to conduct an in-depth assessment of VIA’s plan, but the Liberals appear to be balking at the price.

That story is misleading, if not incomplete. This budget may not address the HFR proposal most of us are discussing, the ex O&Q alignment, but here's what the Globe referred to:
[...]
The federal budget is not expected to announce new money toward VIA Rail’s proposed “high-frequency” rail. Liberal MPs had pushed hard for Mr. Morneau to support the plan to double-track parts of the rail line along the Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto corridor. The plan would allow VIA’s passenger trains to offer more frequent and faster service by no longer having to wait for freight trains, which have priority on the existing tracks.

While the federally owned passenger rail company has said most of the project could be financed by the private sector, it is looking for Ottawa to spend about $1-billion on new trains. Last year’s budget gave Transport Canada $3.3-million over three years to conduct an in-depth assessment of VIA’s plan, but the Liberals appear to be balking at the price. [...]
Curious by omission is the "dedicated electrified O&Q proposal". This particular article is a mish-mash of separate items never meant to be lumped together.

VIA's new fleet acquisition request is separate from the proposed HFR, and even for HFR, the fleet was always proposed as "owned by the government" and the RoW "by investors".

Last edited:
That story is misleading, if not incomplete. This budget may not address the HFR proposal most of us are discussing, the ex O&Q alignment, but here's what the Globe referred to:

Curious by omission is the "dedicated electrified O&Q proposal". This particular article is a mish-mash of separate items never meant to be lumped together.

VIA's new fleet acquisition request is separate from the proposed HFR, and even for HFR, the fleet was always proposed as "owned by the government" and the RoW "by investors".

I know for sure the first thing I will do when the budget is released is will be to Command+F "VIA Rail" to see if they got some money. Fingers are crossed.

I know for sure the first thing I will do when the budget is released is will be to Command+F "VIA Rail" to see if they got some money. Fingers are crossed.
I believe, as stated prior, that what will happen is that monies may not be allocated directly at this time to VIA, but in lieu of that, the announcement for beginning the framework of the Investment Bank and/or a scheme for a PPP/PFI framework for the O&Q alignment to start attracting capital, perhaps on a fractional 'government matches a dollar per four private' and arranges for financing the scheme with the Gov underwriting the risk, so that the most favourable lending rates are realized for it. THAT will attract private capital, and that was always Desjardins-Siciliano's scheme for this. Government coffers are tight, but a massive amount of investment capital is sloshing around looking to attach to proposals that show a long-time slow gain, rather than a quick buck.

The markets have just given a favourable nod to Morneau's doing this, as Trump is on the dump. US Markets have just taken the worst dive in five years or so.

It's not good. The budget calls for "$867.3 million over three years on a cash basis, starting in 2017–18, to support its operations and capital requirements." That's $289.1M a year.

In fiscal year 2015, VIA reported $377.9M in government funding. At first glance, this looks like a cut.

Still some stuff in there about the Infrastructure Bank. So hopefully we can see a launch in the coming months. HFR is the only big project in Canada that offers the visibility needed for an infrastructure bank launch.

It's not good. The budget calls for "$867.3 million over three years on a cash basis, starting in 2017–18, to support its operations and capital requirements." That's $289.1M a year.

In fiscal year 2015, VIA reported $377.9M in government funding. At first glance, this looks like a cut.

While that is true, VIA always gets topped up in the Supplementary Estimates later in the year. It's certainly not dire just yet.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

My take also. The infrastructure focus is gone this year, and while there is discussion of "innovation" eg self driving cars there isn't any profile to VIA as a green solution, or a solution to anything else.

- Paul

While that is true, VIA always gets topped up in the Supplementary Estimates later in the year. It's certainly not dire just yet.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Interesting perspective - I would be very surprised to see this government put VIA in a situation where they had to cut service.

Back