254     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 753     0 

Vegan Restaurants in Toronto

Mislav

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before but could anybody recommend me a good vegan restaurant here in Toronto?

I'm a big fan of Hogtown Vegan on Bloor near Ossington-- the menu of "vegan comfort food" is unpretentious but not "earnest" (in other words, it actually has flavour). The nearby Disgraceland also has an extensive menu of vegan fare (although it is not exclusively vegan), but I've never been so can't give a direct recommendation. Out on the east end on Danforth, Jean's Vegetarian Kitchen is a favourite of mine, and does very good Thai/Malaysian food that is largely vegan (although it does do a lot of mock meat, so if that's not your thing, you may not like the place). I've heard The Porter House is good if you're looking for pubby-type fare.

Of course, these kind of recommendations overlook the vast number of various "ethnic" restaurants whose cuisines natively have a lot of vegan items. There are plenty of vegetarian/vegan Chinese restaurants, for example, and in most Indian places you can find vegan fare (at least if you're not too picky about ghee, and even then you might be accommodated). Most Japanese places will serve up vegan sushi rolls, seaweed salad, tofu, and other items. I've eaten vegetarian at Sri Lankan places, and again those dishes were (as far as I know) vegan. Ditto for Ethiopian cuisine (one of my favourite types of food, especially Ethiopian House just off Yonge north of Wellesley), although again, I don't know if they use niter kibbeh (spiced clarified butter) that is in some traditional dishes.

If one is very strict, then I would limit myself to the places that are explicitly vegan.

Thanks for the detailed reply; I've heard good things about Hogtown Vegan. I should check it out when I'm in town. Not too worried about the food having a bit of flavour since a lot of vegan places do that as do a lot of vegan recipes.

Back