News   May 17, 2024
 544     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 396     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 4.6K     5 

Vancouver Olympics

Pyeongchang... third time's a charm?

They have tried for the 2010 (lost by 3 votes in round to Vancouver), 2014 (lost by 4 votes to Sochi) , and now 2018 olympics.

They've said they're basically going to bid until they win. I would be incredibly surprised if they don't get 2018 (and right now it looks like Munich and Annecy are just bidding to "practice" for 2022). It'll have been 20 years since Nagano, and an Asian games is due (I don't think Sochi is really an Asian games...). Then i think the games go back to Europe for 2022. It's just too close to Vancouver for Canada to win, and it sounds like the IOC is a bit tired of the USA.

In terms of timing, a 2020 Summer games makes the most sense for Canada. It'll have been 24 years since a North American Olympics and the US has already been told not to bid for 2020. Furthermore, the Games will have just been in a "risky" location in Rio (so the IOC will want to ensure that the next games will be in a "safe" location: see London after Beijing), Europe will be 8 years removed from a games, and Asia will be 12 years removed. It adds up to the best opportunity for Toronto, it's just a matter whether they want to take the bait.

In terms of timing, a 2020 Summer games makes the most sense for Canada. It'll have been 24 years since a North American Olympics and the US has already been told not to bid for 2020. Furthermore, the Games will have just been in a "risky" location in Rio (so the IOC will want to ensure that the next games will be in a "safe" location: see London after Beijing), Europe will be 8 years removed from a games, and Asia will be 12 years removed. It adds up to the best opportunity for Toronto, it's just a matter whether they want to take the bait.

I agree with you. 2020 is starting to look more and more like a golden opportunity for Toronto to win the summer Olympics - it'll be pretty much North America's turn (I really don't think the IOC will take a chance on places like Africa, India or the Middle East just yet) and no US city will be bidding, BUT...the host will be selected in 2013, only 3 years after Vancouver and 2 years before the Pan Am Games here. There's evidence that the winter and summer games don't really affect each other much (Montreal and Calgary only 12 years apart, Atlanta and Salt Lake City only 6 years apart), but you really have to wonder if it would hurt a potential Toronto bid. On the plus side I think the IOC is very happy with how Vancouver turned out - they seemed especially pleasantly surprised by the massive national pride and enthusiam it generated across the country like no other games before, so I'm sure they would be very confident about staging another games in Canada.

It all depends on who is our next Mayor. I have no doubt David Miller would bid again as would Giambrone or Pantalone... but Smitherman or Rossi? I'm not so sure either one would be open to the idea. They're both fiscal conservatives so we're likely to not even bid considering one of them most likely will win the Mayors job.

Lastman was a conservative. I'd think liberals are more likely to be anti-Olympics (think Bread not Circuses). Miller was cold to the idea of a bid.

It all depends on who is our next Mayor. I have no doubt David Miller would bid again as would Giambrone or Pantalone... but Smitherman or Rossi? I'm not so sure either one would be open to the idea. They're both fiscal conservatives so we're likely to not even bid considering one of them most likely will win the Mayors job.

Really? You don't think any of these guys wouldn't want to be the Mayor that brought the world to Toronto? I think you're buying into the rhetoric of the campaign trail and assuming it'll carry over indefinitely.

I thought it was a poor article when I read it last week. I understand the qualms people have with nationalism, as it was a common theme that came up in my political studies degree, but there's something to be said about people coming together over a common bond. It's a vast country and there are few things that connect all of us. Sport (and hockey in particular) is one of the few things we have in common as a collective. I actually thought the article was probably written by someone who always got picked last at recess and has since held a vendetta against sports. I'm sure if the country was celebrating some sort of artistic award that was on par with an Olympic gold in hockey, the author would be writing about how amazing the celebration was.

The fact is, especially in hockey, there is a huge community element to it. People just think "they're millionaires, they don't care, why should we care about them?" Well as someone with friends who are playing in the NHL and as someone who played against future NHLers (and now a gold medal winner) throughout my minor hockey days, it takes a huge community of people to contribute to their success. Ask Sidney Crosby to name every coach he had from when he was a timbit all the way to when he was shipped off to Minnesota to get out of the limelight and I bet he remembers them all fondly. Fact is, anyone who coached and played with or against these guys contributed to their success and when you take that into consideration, we can all take a bit of the joy from seeing them win (besides the fact they're Canadian of course) because it was our system/community that created it. Of course, anyone who didn't participate in a sport growing up doesn't really understand what I mean by how much coaches and fellow team mates/competitors contribute to the person you become (whether they're an NHLer or not), but whatever, we were all proud to see it happen, so that's all that matters.

I wouldn't take that article seriously. NOW is basically the left wing, whiny OCAP counterpart to the beligerent right wing nutjobs at the Sun.

In case you missed it in Now Magazine, here is their rather predictable take on Vancouver.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=173929

The comments following the article are anything but kind to the writer.

lost soul!

Last time I checked, 22 million to pay for coaches, facilities and 3000+ (low income)athletes was perfectly in line with the far left's policies of social spending/housing.

And a bonus that they're doing something productive for the country!

Some entertaining comments nonetheless
How many Canadians does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 100 One to screw it in and 99 to point and say, "He's Canadian!!!"

Last edited:
Of course, anyone who didn't participate in a sport growing up doesn't really understand what I mean by how much coaches and fellow team mates/competitors contribute to the person you become ...

For some reason, I immediately think of Sheldon Kennedy and Theo Fleury.

How many Canadians does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 100 One to screw it in and 99 to point and say, "He's Canadian!!!"

Funny but I think the joke is pretty much universal.

Watching the Olympics in Japan, you would think that there are only 4 events - Women's moguls (Japanese athlete finished 4th), Women's Curling (a couple of the girls on the Japanese team are considered 'cute'), and Men's and Women's figure skating (2 medals! And it's not hard to find people who think the Japanese girl was robbed of the gold by the judges and the other Japanese girl should have won the bronze which was given to the Canadian out of pity.) I have a coworker who thought that the Japanese women curlers had won the gold medal (Sorry, they finished 8th) because they were on TV so much and he was also shocked to learn that there was such a thing as men's curling (Japan didn't have a team so it was not on television). I can't complain too much because they did broadcast the gold medal hockey game which I had to get up at 5:30 in the morning to watch.

Last edited:
Vancouver wasn't completely rebuilt for the games and the facilities weren't spectacles, but that's fine...the emotion of our athletes and the crowds was the real spectacle (and it'd be interesting to hear about the crowds and energy from more non-Canadian sources, especially since some recent games, like Salt Lake City and Beijing, felt somewhat 'bottled'). Architectural prowess is not a tenet of Olympism, it's just a symptom of the one-upmanship infecting the host city arms race (the IOC tends to benefit from it, though). Toronto has a good shot at 2020 but it depends entirely on what other cities bid and what happens during voting, where even a single IOC vote tends to decide who gets dropped off each ballot. London may be a 'safe' city but it was up against a bunch of big fat alpha cities that were no less safe. The IOC can only be a host city puppetmaster if enough and the right cities bid.

Did CTV go to a commercial while the medals for the cross country marathon were being handed out during the closing ceremony? I swear they didn't show it. Jacques Rogge also never called upon the youth of the world...Furlong mentioned youth and may have called upon them in French so butchered that I missed it (and if Rogge was capable of basic human emotion he might have smiled at Furlong's French).

The mime mocking the cauldron fiasco was brilliant, and Neil Young and the Russian anthem were both good. Everything else was a bit cringeworthy. They should have had Nikki Yanofsky sing I Believe...Canadians have been hearing it every 5 minutes but no one else in the world has heard it (unless they've been watching CTV). I do wish they'd stop getting opera singers to sing anthems.

All this talk here about Own The Podium. No, it did not make its stated goal. Yes, despite that, we had a wonderful showing on the podium. Scarberiankhatru is right: more funding towards athletics needs to continue to flow, but how the money is targeted needs to be re-examined. I suspect that a number of those commenting on his posts here, did not read, or at least understand, more than his opening line.

No suspicion is necessary...every time they post, they've been proving it.

When a program is focused on specific podium targets and already successful athletes, relies on the whims of government funding injections (will the money be cut off if next time we win fewer medals?), is needlessly vulnerable to media attacks because of its name, goals, and – fairly rare for Canada – chest-thumping patriotic ambition, and whose effects cannot be separated from the impact of home turf, home crowds, and the drive of veterans seeking redemption (Martin, the men's hockey team, Hamelin, Morrison, Anderson...you can't buy their hunger for gold that bumped up the gold medal haul in the closing days), then that program has some serious flaws.

Athletes and officials are defending the program and no wonder: they know that their livelihood is at stake and that the program could be slashed just as easily as it could be improved. CTV commentators questioned on air where all the money went that was spent on our alpine skiers and CTV news was even working out how many million dollars were spent per medal. There's often a fine line between constructive criticism and implying that money was wasted, and this is a problem when, in fact, much more money needs to flow. It should be spent in other ways, though, not just on efforts to buy our way higher up into the medal standings, because that's politically risky and it doesn't work with any kind of predictable success. The feds have coughed up a bit more money, which is great and hopefully a step towards recognizing that sports on a national/international scale can have a larger and more continuous role to play in health and culture than just trying to win a few medals every four years (if possible while beating the Americans), and that serious funding is needed in the 3 years between Olympics, too. Maybe we should use the money to clone Clara Hughes and get these clones on skis...you can't buy guts like hers.

Back