News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 356     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 920     1 

UrbanToronto is Celebrating 20 Years

Let's talk about 20 or 21. Technically yes the URL was obtained 21 or so years ago. And I joined soon after the early forum was up and running. We picked 20 for this October because that was around the time when I purchased the site and began the work to turn UrbanToronto into what it is today. New forum software that actually worked, streamlining the threads to one per project as opposed to multiple for each project (what a pain that was), adding the news, map and database pages and so forth.

Thank you to everyone that helped us get this far. Looking forward to the next 20. To an Urban Toronto!

I've been here ever since 2010, just before Rob Ford became mayor.

When I first came here, I was mainly interested in transit projects. I was even in a Slack group dedicated to the DRL (which later became the Ontario Line). Once I had my iPhone 12 Pro Max in late 2020, I began taking photos of skyscrapers under construction much more frequently.

We also got a new opera house in grey brick, which unknown to us at the time would start a trend for grey brick which has yet to die down.
So Jack Diamond is to blame for the worst architectural trend of the last decade. Curse you, Jack.

Pretty apt that it appears that I joined UrbanToronto 10 years ago, this month, and we're celebrating 20 years. I am also nearing 10,000 posts on here, go figure.

Like many of you, being on UrbanToronto during my formative years influenced how I would take my studies and career direction and I owe a lot to my time spent on here. Here is to 20+ more years of UrbanToronto! 🥳

It seems me and @ericmacm are more alike then I thought. I also grew up in Mississauga, in later childhood, before moving back to the neighbourhood I grew up in prior to that, Yonge and Eg.
I lurked here for about two years as well before signing up my account, and it took me a while to start posting on here, simply because there wasn't a ton of projects going on in Mississauga, and I preferred SSP. I've had an interest in urban design ever since I was 14, and this site (and SSP) helped nurture that interest further. My interest in photography went hand in hand with this, and in the following years (until when I moved back), I took many trips to Toronto to see/photograph downtown and the construction, and re-connect with the city after being away from it for a couple of years. It was fascinating to see projects like Aura, One Bloor East, and later on E Condos and other miscellaneous projects that intensified and further defined what are now busy nodes of downtown.
I was glad to move out of Mississauga due to the hostile pedestrian environment present in most of the city, and the "stroads" that permeate most neighbourhoods. I still try and visit here and there, but I have a tighter schedule nowadays. It's encouraging to see it intensify much more substantially, though I still await any road redesigns and attempts at making the urban design in MCC more friendly for all road users.

For the last few years, I've been back on the same stretch of Yonge and Eglinton I call home, and it's been odd thinking about how different it's become in the last 15 years. I remember being amazed by the Minto towers as a kid, because they were so big and had some great amenities. (I got to visit once), and how novel the mall seemed with it's branching hallways and variety of stores. But of course, things change.
My DSLR broke down last year, and I still havent gone around to getting it repaired, so all my updates continue to be on my cell phone.
Here's to long lasting cheer, Urban Toronto.

Wow I joined Feb 12 2008!. Is that 15 years? I really can't believe how long it has been. I also have to admit I go on this site almost everyday and enjoy every minute of the the photos, the news, even the (some) of the annoying complainers. Some people are very knowledgable and often very fascinating to read their comments and opinions..It is all very interesting and I do believe that most people just want this place called Toronto to be a better place for everyone to live All the best..

16 years and counting for me.

I'm a member on 2 'city building' sites, a moderator on another. They all offer something a little different but where UT shines is the quality of information shared and enforcing its code of conduct. UT is my GO TO site for accurate information, insight, and input from people with a background in the subject matter being discussed. For the most part, Forum Members are polite, respectful, constructive, objective, fair, and considered. It's a rarity to see insulting, condescending, and/or disrespectful behaviour. In today's world, that's invaluable.

It's clear that most care about Toronto and how it's evolving. Thankfully, UT is also a place where constructive criticism is both welcomed and encouraged. City Building should never be just about cheerleading but continually pushing to do better. That means criticizing things that deserve criticism. Recognizing where we fail is as important as praising what we do well.

I post less than I used to (for reasons unrelated to UT) but it's a rare day when I don't log on to UT. So thank you to all the UT members who contribute to this site in a positive way and thank you to the moderation team who help ensure that UT is a pleasant, inclusive, and welcoming place. Here's to another 20 years .... or is it 21?

Last edited:
Hey All, I've picked just a few of these posts to include in a front page story that covers highlights of the UrbanToronto member experience, so some of you will find yourselves on the front page… with suggestions to front page article readers to come to this thread to go through it all!

Thank you to everyone who has added their voice here!

I will settle any debates... I was the first member. It was a beautiful forum. It wasn't long after I invented the internet that I found myself interested in the growth of the city made popular by me and so I invented forum technology. I was living on Queens Quay at the time, and I was there on Queens Quay before it was popular and you could say I made it popular. I remember AreBe saying to me, with a tear in his eye, "It's right frigging there" as he discussed subways in railway corridors. I remember one thread, it was a perfect thread, and GeekyBoy and I were having a conversation, I don't know what it was about but I can tell you it was a perfect conversation. You wouldn't even believe how perfect a conversation it was. :D

The one fond memory I have were these two people who were completely focused on the design aesthetic in the old forum. They would go back and forth with great points... it felt like they were a couple some times. The dialogue and evaluation they would bring to all projects was excellent. I wish I could remember their names. Is the old site in the Wayback machine? It's too bad we couldn't keep that old content but certainly the software in this forum works much better.

The one fond memory I have were these two people who were completely focused on the design aesthetic in the old forum. They would go back and forth with great points... it felt like they were a couple some times. The dialogue and evaluation they would bring to all projects was excellent. I wish I could remember their names. Is the old site in the Wayback machine? It's too bad we couldn't keep that old content but certainly the software in this forum works much better.
One of those two conversationalists must have been @BuildingBabel, no? (Eventually to become @UrbanShocker.) Maybe the other was @adma? While I'm not sure how often those two differed, they strike me as the two who spent the most time in that realm, although it was by no means their exclusive domain! I certainly engaged in more conversations of that nature back then, I think many of us did…

Can't say when I discovered urbantoronto. Geekyboy had less than 1000 posts; Harry Stinson was a king; 30 storey was very tall; We learned what geodetic height meant (RoCP); MrMan was running around the urban affairs library looking for the latest scoop.

**edit I forgot the name my original avatar.

Back