News   May 10, 2024
 953     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1K     0 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

Speaking of docs, I finally found "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" this weekend at HMV. This was a documentary on the rise and fall of Jim and Tammy, and was narrated by RuPaul. My interest was piqued by her recent death, and it was indeed a pretty good doc.

Enjoy, AP!

Bill Littler suggested, in a CBC radio interview last weekend, that the COC won't be subjected to what he called "bargain basement" singers from eastern Europe now that Bradshaw's dead. And that we'll maybe hear more of the better qualified local singers in those roles in future. He mentioned Brett Polegato who he describes as stealing the show in last season's Faust as an example. Amen to both sentiments.

Wow. I wonder if they'll add any more performances to the schedule this year. They have done that in the past on odd occasions I believe.

Anyway, the COC completely underestimated the amount of interest the new opera house would generate amongst the townsfolk. I realize that, like the TTC, every seat at the COC is subsidized, so growing the number of performances is a tricky proposition, but it needs to happen. Let's hope some new funding formula can keep some cheap seats available at an increased number of performances. I don't want to see COC ticket prices make the opera inaccessible to all but the well off.

I think it'll reduce the number of $20 tickets ( except, perhaps, those reserved for students ) that can be bought at 11:00 am. on the day of the performance. My friend Ron, who got one for Ledi Macbet, was unable to get one for later opera performances last season because they were so popular with subscribers and other people paying full whack.

The COC are victims of their own success. Though the National Ballet has, unfortunately, had problems filling their shows.

... and welcome to UT's newest opera fan TonyV!
Pardon my tardy response, possum, but indeed, thank-you!!! Now I can talk about opera, almost my favourite thing!

To answer your question on the other thread, I went to cycle 3 of The Ring. Here we are a year later, and I am sort of still there, all immersed in Wagner. There are moments I will never forget. Mostly excellent singers, and wonderful work from the orchestra. I loved the production, too.

I sat in what would be known elsewhere as the parterre, the raised ring around the orchestra level, off to the left side. Great place to sit.

Yes, here we are a year later with this wonderful opera house in our midst, I still pinch myself about it. The late Richard Bradshaw, as he unveiled the 07.08 COC season, said plainly that it is "quite possibly" the world's best opera house. This season, I think that the Onegin will be interesting, can't wait -- and Don Carlos, and Tosca.

Again, a heartfelt thanks. Yours in enjoying this city!

Ah Onegin - did you see the Met broadcast recently? And talking of which, I'm glad that Brett Polegato gets to star in something with the COC at last - I thought he stole the show in "Faust" last season. And that nice young Robert Gleadow - sigh - who had so much presence in La Boheme a few years ago will be in Figaro soon.

I haven't ventured into the parterre yet. May I be so uncharacteristically forward and indescreeet as to ask if you visit the online opera site of the same name?

Ah Onegin - did you see the Met broadcast recently? And talking of which, I'm glad that Brett Polegato gets to star in something with the COC at last - I thought he stole the show in "Faust" last season. And that nice young Robert Gleadow - sigh - who had so much presence in La Boheme a few years ago will be in Figaro soon.

I haven't ventured into the parterre yet. May I be so uncharacteristically forward and indescreeet as to ask if you visit the online opera site of the same name?

I didn't see the Met broadcast of Onegin but I listened to it at home, enjoyed that. I'm told I should have gone to the simulcast .... I am looking forward to Brett Polegato in the Toronto production indeed.

Re. Parterre, no I don't visit the opera site. I must take a look.

Back