News   May 09, 2024
 530     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Upgrade option

carturo15

Member Bio
Reaction score
Guys, are stainless steel countertops more or less expensive than stone (quartz/granite) countertops? what is your opinion on stainless steel countertops compared to stone?

Last edited:
The biggest problem with SS is that it stains. Easily. It also gets scratches. Easily. Shows fingerprints. Easily. I love the look, but as a countertop, unless it's a restaurant or a kitchen in a home that will be used by servants and not seen by any of your friends, I'd just save yourself the hassle and go with granite or quartz (NOT marble - too soft, scratches easily, not heat resistant and stains easily as well). As for expense - i don't really know, but I'd guess it's more inexpensive.

One of the biggest dilemmas facing the modern kitchen consumer is which type of surface to choose for their countertops and an increasing number of buyers are setting aside a portion of their budget to ensure they can adorn their kitchen with surfaces once considered too expensive.
Stainless steel has been used for professional kitchen countertops for many decades. Stainless steel countertops are much sturdier than other countertop options. Like granite countertops, stainless steel countertops resist heat; a cook can place a pan directly from a burner onto the countertop with no ill effects. Unlike granite countertops, though, stainless steel counters are impermeable. With stainless, a homeowner never needs to worry about food or oil stains, nor do they require the regular application of sealants. By its very nature, stainless steel will not rust or otherwise corrode, does it dent very easily.
But there just a few negative things to consider about this as a countertop material. They will show fingerprints and other smudge marks but don’t be worried about it because there are now cleaning products for these horrible sight in the market.

Last edited:
I have always liked the look of a commercial kitchen, and love stainless steel as a material.
The biggest gripe is that it shows fingerprints extremely easily and requires more cleaning to maintain a spotless surface. Satinless steel will scratch (especailly if it is going against the grain), but that could be removed with steel wool or a Brillo pad.
There is more labour involved when it comes to stainless steel as the edges needs to rolled/formed, and the seams has to welded, ground smooth and brushed. Stainless steel will dent as well. The cost may be a little less than granite or stone, but the price difference is not that significant.

My last kitchen I had installed a brushed aluminum backsplash, toe kicks, island and walls and it looked really nice. I went with the brushed aluminum because it doesn't show fingerprints, was easier to keep clean and was cheaper than stainless steel. Aluminum is a softer material than stainless steel, so it is not suitable for countertops.

For resale purposes, I would think stone and quartz would be your better bet as most buyers would prefer the look of these materials and they are more popular.

Last edited:

Back