News   Jun 03, 2024
 216     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 705     0 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.3K     9 

Update: 2006.05.02 - Spire, RoCP, Metropolis, Stern, more...

Re: Update: 2006.05.02 - Spire, RoCP, Metropolis, Stern, mor

On Mozo, the concrete is unpainted (and it would certainly look better if it was touched up).

I am not optimistic when it comes to Spire.

(And throw in the rumours that Context is in a bit of financial trouble and the fact that they appear to have no new projects in the pipes despite the continuing of the boom....)

I have always assumed that, when it comes to balcony underbellies, the "unfinished" look is the "finish". What other substance is exposed concrete supposed to simulate? I agree that filling in a few holes or pitted areas here and there might make them look a bit prettier ( that circular hole under the lower left balcony of the Cosmopolitan Hotel is particularly irritating ) but otherwise just let them be.

was quite a shock when i saw them installing pre-cast ed. i'm going to wait to pass judgement in hopes that they do something interesting with it. perhaps incorporating the coloured sections from the tower?

It shocked me. Totally different look than the tower. I wonder why.

Because it serves a different function from the rest of the building and should reflect that difference, presumably.

The rendering made it look similar to the tower.

spire_main_r2_c4.jpg

Looks brown here.

Maybe but it doesn't look pre-cast.

OH! AND, THE GLASS IS GREEN. GREEN GLASS! WE'RE NOT VANCOUVER. KILLS THE PROJECT... THE SKY IS FALLING...

:rolleyes

No the sky isn't falling. Its just odd that they went with a different look for this part of the project.

That's the older rendering. Does the most recent one better represent the north side of Spire?

Until Context builds something taller this will be their flagship tower, it's going to look great. Just go check out the attention to detail on the SAS building. These guys are good and a little bit of thought out white pre-cast will probably enhance the overall look of the building. I get the feeling that the architects at this firm are somewhat perfectionists, we should give them a bit more of our trust.

Alright I might be wrong about the SAS building, I could have swore Context was involved in it in some way. Still nice though, go look at it!

Context hired AA to design Spire. And I do think Context were involved with SAS.

Okay, I'm wrong, it was Giffels.

Whistler.

Having perfectionist architects doesn't always guarantee something that everyone will like.

I recall when they announced RoCP, there was a write-up on the architects behind it, and described them as mavericks for sacrificing optimal floor space in favour of a superior building design. Many of us were clearly not overjoyed with some of its details as it was built.

Not me, I've liked everything about ROCP, including the faux stone base. And I'm judging them by projects done in the past by Context, as close to perfection as we've seen in regards to residential construction in the city.

Back