Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

What I don't get is why UPX is so unsuccessful (even after the fare drop) if other cities have successful airport trains.

What I don't get is why UPX is so unsuccessful (even after the fare drop) if other cities have successful airport trains.

It's true that we haven't given this train much time to take off. It does take time to change peoples' habits. The travel industry is only starting to get the word out in any consistent way. We have a particularly popular and convenient downtown airport, so many people in the target population may not need to go to Pearson at all. We also have a particularly good airport limo service, compared to many cities which have only taxi's. The integration with other transit is poor - the Bloor link to the subway is primitive and the Union subway link is a long way round for destinations outside the central core. Driving to our airport and parking long term is fairly easy. We have a bus link to the subway whic,h while not anywhere as pleasant, is dirt cheap and pretty fast/frequent. We have Uber, which comes to your doorstep with a really simple app for hailing and payment. We have a preferred payment medium (Presto) which is not widely used (yet) by residents in the central city and still of only limited value to visitors (this will change).

I'm sticking to my resolution to self not to discuss price until we have a full 12 months' experience. But I am waxing my ski's on that topic.

- Paul

I don't think trains to airports are inherently successful, some do better than others, but the ambigious attitude of GTAA didn't help (wanting to grab revenue from it themselves before being forced to back off). Compare to Heathrow where the airport is directly involved in Heathrow Express and more density at the far end (whereas even with all the development downtown, most YYZ passenger growth above present levels expected from 905/519).

This is what offends me about the whole thing, more than price. I can buy experimenting with price points, and I can buy premium fare. What I can't buy is creating a separate business unit, which is likely more costly than having the GO organization operate the service using its existing business functions. It breeds a 'we are special" mentality. Which leads to weakened governance. And redundant positions in the same organization who don't work to similar expectations or policy. Which leads to unjustifiable items on expense accounts, etc, etc.

- Paul
I wonder if the dream of UPX as a private entity ever died, even after transfer from the feds to Metrolinx. The problem for Metrolinx is that it's harder to claim difficulty in quantifying UPX losses vs GO Transit when such separation has been maintained.

The problem for Metrolinx is that it's harder to claim difficulty in quantifying UPX losses vs GO Transit when such separation has been maintained.

A definite silver lining.

Presumably, if UPE continues to only draw half the planned ridership, its management ranks and office staff will be cut back accordingly.

- Paul

So unsuccessful? Ridership is a bit below target - but does seem to be slowly climbing (I wouldn't take those September/October higher numbers too seriously, given the reports of how many people were using it after Blue Jays games).

It was never predicted or design to have particularly high ridership.

Seems more like the media is just trying to stir the pot ... the bizarre anticipation of both the Star and Globe transportation reporters for this data was telling.

Even though Pearson passenger numbers fluctuate, it looks like the proportion of Pearson passengers delivered by UP isn't increasing (if anything, this short period shows a decrease):

CaetxaXUMAAfKoe.png

Hmmm. Interesting how some could interpret those numbers in any way they want. In Oct UP carried 2.4% of Pearson passengers, Nov 2.3%, Dec 2.1%. Declining numbers certainly are a concern however there are circumstances as mentioned: December has an increase in leisure travel a group that is less likely to take the UP for example, ridership numbers seem to be closely following passenger numbers at Pearson.

A change of ratio of passengers carried of 0.3% over 3 months really is insignificant, We are talking about a spread of 13000 passengers per month, that is 670 per business day.

I don't see how people can be calling this an abject failure.

its simply because people would rather use the line as a commuter line which I too would like to see.

Well I think there are many in the west looking at this and not even thinking GO but are thinking this could easily be the western DRL with a few extra stations. Add a stop at St Clair, Eglinton, Kipling, Liberty Bathurst and Spadina and you have a 9 stop ride to the airport for a TTC fare.

oh...I know that very well but just because GO has failed to capitalize fast enough on the $1.3b they have spent (over and above the UP cost) on the corridor is no reason to condem the UP...it is a reason to call for more GO

True - my one question would be, would UP's marketability suffer if it were trimmed back to every 20 minutes?

The reduction in crews and fuel costs would enable some immediate GO improvements.

- Paul

Back