Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I live in the west end and commute in and don't even bother with a Metropass.. I bike 3-4 days a week..

Metropasses really make sense for suburban commuters more than anyone.

I bike 5 days a week for most of the year. Basically I only take the subway to work if the weather is bad (mostly in the winter) or if there's some complicating factor (need to be home sooner, carrying something large/awkward, etc.). If it looks like I'll be taking transit to work for a whole week I'll buy a weekly pass, which is just barely worth it. I can't imagine ever making enough trips to make a Metropass even come close to paying for itself.

I wish we would just change the downtown John St. to something else. That (pedestrian bridge) confused the heck out of me yesterday until I saw a version that mentioned the Weston Tunnel. Let Weston, if they choose, keep their "Prostitute's Client Street" :D

Anybody else think this line should be a part of the TTC network? Line 6 - Airport Express

What they could do is treat it like any other TTC rapid transit line with a $3 fare/monthly or weekly pass/transfer to enter the line, with an asterisk on the map *$10 Surcharge required upon arrival at Pearson Airport.

I think $13 is very affordable for the line and I'd definitely take it, especially if there was an easy transfer onto the line from other TTC services.

By splitting the payment method into two parts, it makes the fare seem cheaper because optically it's like it's "only $10".

It'd seem much better than running trains empty all day @ $29.
I think there would be a listening ear at Metrolinx if TTC wanted to assume the UPX project and responsibility for its operating deficits.

I wish we would just change the downtown John St. to something else. That (pedestrian bridge) confused the heck out of me yesterday until I saw a version that mentioned the Weston Tunnel. Let Weston, if they choose, keep their "Prostitute's Client Street" :D

I used to live in Weston. Right around the corner from John Street was a bar. It seemed every other time I'd come home late on a Friday or Saturday night from downtown, there were women fighting outside of it, in the street. Are these the people you're referring to?

But with the fares the way they are, not many people are willing to do that.

I've done it twice, and I wasn't the only one doing it either.

Any improved connection between the two stations will only make that connection easier, too.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I used to live in Weston. Right around the corner from John Street was a bar. It seemed every other time I'd come home late on a Friday or Saturday night from downtown, there were women fighting outside of it, in the street. Are these the people you're referring to?
Not intentionally :)

Anybody else think this line should be a part of the TTC network? Line 6 - Airport Express

What they could do is treat it like any other TTC rapid transit line with a $3 fare/monthly or weekly pass/transfer to enter the line, with an asterisk on the map *$10 Surcharge required upon arrival at Pearson Airport.

I think $13 is very affordable for the line and I'd definitely take it, especially if there was an easy transfer onto the line from other TTC services.

By splitting the payment method into two parts, it makes the fare seem cheaper because optically it's like it's "only $10".

It'd seem much better than running trains empty all day @ $29.

If they did this, how much would they need to increase service to meet demand? Would they need to buy more trains or longer trains?

(besides all of the political issues)

If they did this, how much would they need to increase service to meet demand? Would they need to buy more trains or longer trains?

(besides all of the political issues)

^add in the need to extend platforms (at least one of which is a real challenge to do so) to serve those longer trains that the demand created.

Metrolinx built an express service with potential, but it has fallen flat on its face for two reasons: time savings vs. alternatives are not enough, and the price is way above the value of the benefit. Metrolinx thought they had found their market equilibrium and missed it. Why would we go through all this extra capital cost to fix the issue when it just takes scheduling and pricing tweaks?

This is why I floated my $15 for 15m idea. Cut the price, and cut the stops between. Quick fix done with no capital cost necessary.

Metrolinx needs to also stop ignoring the inevitable. They themselves have chalked up 2 other rapid transit rail services that will offer a cheaper ride to the airport: the Crosstown and Finch West LRTs. You can try to establish and solidify your customer base all you want, but its futile if the customer doesn't see the costs matching the benefits. The LRTs will have an impact. Time to future proof the UPX sooner than later.

They should have made this service a part of GO or something instead of hyping it up so much by creating a division for it with it's own president. I think the price would have been more reasonable without all this. The price is not really competitive and with services like Uber, why would I use this?

They should have made this service a part of GO or something instead of hyping it up so much by creating a division for it with it's own president. I think the price would have been more reasonable without all this. The price is not really competitive and with services like Uber, why would I use this?
I have now taken multiple trips on it....and I have the opposite reaction/opinion....if you are travelling between Pearson to the DT core....why use anything else?

Last edited:

Back