• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
We all miss you,Tim Russert.....

Everyone: I as well as many others feel that the untimely loss of Tim Russert this year is a sad thing-especially when it came to the 2008 US Election that he was quite enthused about covering. I could just imagine the grilling that he would have put a incompetent Vice-Presidential candidate like Sarah Palin thru...Rest in peace,Tim Russert and may the best candidate win in 2008-it is looking more and more like Barack Obama for the change the USA sorely needs! Opinions and thoughts from Long Island Mike

Because there are still some rogue-or-not polls that show the margin much tighter, I'm not whipping out the huzzahs for the inevitability of a Obama win--after all, previous predicted Republican wipeouts turned out not so utterly wipeoutish (think Dole in '96).

Don't be surprised, in any case, if John McCain still manages over 200 in the electoral college...

Because there are still some rogue-or-not polls that show the margin much tighter, I'm not whipping out the huzzahs for the inevitability of a Obama win--after all, previous predicted Republican wipeouts turned out not so utterly wipeoutish (think Dole in '96).

Don't be surprised, in any case, if John McCain still manages over 200 in the electoral college...

I won't be surprised if McCain wins either. I still think Obama is ahead - but not as much as people here (generally speaking) think. The following poll:

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/Polls.aspx?id=309635713550536

was done by the most accurate polling company for 2004 (does not necessarily mean it will be the most accurate this time) - says the percentages are Obama +1.1% (my gut feeling says +4%). Now Obama has a better get out the vote than the Democrats have had in previous years - but during the primaries polling often had Obama up by more than he won by (or lost by) -- probably because a number of his followers - talk a good game - but when it came to polling day - they had something better to do.

I'd take the IBD/TIPP polls with a grain of salt as they've been highly inaccurate this whole election cycle.

Taken from a great site, FiveThirtyEight.com:

2966814135_fbcaab9568_o.png

"That's right ... IBD/TIPP has John McCain ahead 74-22 among 18-24 year olds. Who knew the kids were groovin' on J-Mac these days?

IBD/TIPP puts an asterisk by this result, stipulating that "Age 18-24 has much fluctuation due to small sample size".

Indeed, there may be some fluctuations when looking at small subgroups like these. That's why I generally don't pick on a poll if, say, it has John McCain winning 18 percent of the black vote when he's only "supposed" to be winning 7 percent or whatever. Fluctuations of that magnitude are going to be relatively common, mathematically speaking. In fact, they're entirely unavoidable, if you're taking enough polls and breaking out the results amongst enough subgroups.

But fluctuations of this magnitude are an entirely different matter.

Suppose that the true distribution of the 18-24 year old vote is a 15-point edge for Obama. This is a very conservative estimate; most pollsters show a gap of anywhere from 20-35 points among this age range.

About 9.3 percent of the electorate was between age 18-24 in 2004. Let's assume that the percentage is also 9.3 percent this year. Again, this is a highly conservative estimate. The IBD/TIPP poll has a sample size of 1,060 likely voters, which would imply that about 98 of those voters are in the 18-24 age range.

What are the odds, given the parameters above, that a random sampling of 98 voters aged 18-24would distribute themselves 74% to McCain and 22% to Obama?

Using a binomial distribution, the odds are 54,604,929,633-to-1 against. That is, about 55 billion to one.

So, there is an 0.000000002% chance that IBD/TIPP just got really unlucky. Conversely, there is a 99.999999998% chance that one of the following things is true:

(i) They're massively undersampling the youth vote. If you only have, say, 30 young voters when you should have 100 or so in your sample, than the odds of a freak occurrence like this are significantly more likely.
-or-
(ii) Something is dramatically wrong with their sampling or weighting procedures, or their likely voter model.

My guess is that it's some combination of the two -- that, for instance, IBD/TIPP is applying a very stringent likely voter model that removes you from the sample if you haven't voted in the past two elections, which would rule a great number of 18-24 year olds out.

A pollster could get away with a turnout model like that in 2004 (when IBD/TIPP did well in estimating the national popular vote), when the split in the youth vote was relatively small between John Kerry and George W. Bush. They can't get away with that this year, when the split is much larger.

But the basic takeaway is this: you should absolutely not assume that just because someone has published a poll, they have any particular idea what they're doing. Pollsters should be treated as guilty until proven otherwise."

I'm not american but I support Obama.

What if the Obama's had paraded five children across the stage, including a
three month old infant and an unwed, pregnant teenage daughter?

What if John McCain was a former president of the Harvard Law Review?
What if Barack Obama finished fifth from the bottom of his graduating class?

What if McCain had only married once, and Obama was a divorcee?

What if Obama was the candidate who left his first wife after a severe
disfiguring car accident, when she no longer measured up to his standards?

What if Obama had met his second wife in a bar and had a long affair while
he was still married?

What if Michelle Obama was the wife who not only became addicted to pain
killers but also acquired them illegally through her charitable organization?

What if McCain was a charismatic, eloquent speaker?

What if Obama couldn't read from a teleprompter?

What if Obama was the one who had military experience that included
discipline problems and a record of crashing seven planes?

What if Obama was the one who was known to display publicly, on many
occasions, a serious anger management problem?

What if Michelle Obama's family had made their money from beer distribution?

What if the Obamas had adopted a white child?

This is what racism does. It covers up, rationalizes and minimizes positive
qualities in one candidate and emphasizes negative qualities in another when
there is a color difference.

Who's Nailin' Paylin? : adventures of a hockey milf

you gotta love larry flynt!

not work safe!!!

must be over 18 to click the following link....
http://hustler.com/Hustler_Warning_Parody/parody.php?cs=0&w=420901

starring: serra paylin, condomleeza nice, hillary rod'em clitin' & bill o'liely with the orally factor.

release date is on election day, also known to those who will be watching this flick as erection day.

quote from the movie: hillary says to paylin...
i'm tired of bipartisanship. why can't we just be bi?

LOL!!

One difference from 2006 is that it appears some Democratic Congressional seats might fall--the guy who defeated Mark Foley in Florida is himself embroiled in a sex/adultery scandal, another in Pennsylvania is threatened by an anti-illegal-immigration activist, etc...

This is what racism does. It covers up, rationalizes and minimizes positive
qualities in one candidate and emphasizes negative qualities in another when
there is a color difference.

Although there is certainly an element of racism emanating from the Republican camp, I doubt that the vast majority of McCain's supporters are racist. And really it's just as bad as the ageism emanating from the Democrats. In the end, mud slinging is bad regardless of who does it.....

I interact day-to-day with a small cadre of Americans working in Ottawa and the few who are Republican routinely cite McCain's track record in the Senate as reasons they support him. And a number of them say they like Obama but that he needs a few more terms in the Senate. Those are all certainly valid arguments. I certainly could not imagine a one term parliamentarian succeeding as Prime Minister in Canada.

As much as I would like to see Obama get elected, our views and expectations have to be tempered a little. Not everything Republican is bad and not everything Democrat is good. Talk like this anywhere, wil not further debate... Indeed, Republicans are learning quite quickly that their racist undertones are driving away moderates.... I would not want to see Democrats reverse that trend by taking the low road.

One difference from 2006 is that it appears some Democratic Congressional seats might fall--the guy who defeated Mark Foley in Florida is himself embroiled in a sex/adultery scandal, another in Pennsylvania is threatened by an anti-illegal-immigration activist, etc...

Nationwide the polls suggest Democrats may pick up an additional 20-30 seats in the House, so its actually trending toward a supermajority.

It will be the biggest Democratic majority in both houses of Congress and the President since the 1960's and 1930's if it turns out that way.

This poll suggests at least a minimum of 10 new House Democrats, and 24 seats up for grabs.

http://www.pollster.com/polls/2008house/

So lets say the Democrats pick up 50% of the seats up for grabs, 12+245= 257 Democrats possible in the House while Republicans would be reduced to 178 seats.

^Which is relatively amazing considering the majorities that Republicans were getting just back in 2002 when it appeared a new conservative age was upon us.

I interact day-to-day with a small cadre of Americans working in Ottawa and the few who are Republican routinely cite McCain's track record in the Senate as reasons they support him. And a number of them say they like Obama but that he needs a few more terms in the Senate. Those are all certainly valid arguments. I certainly could not imagine a one term parliamentarian succeeding as Prime Minister in Canada.

It happened.

Elected in 1965 (with no previous formal political experience), elected as Prime Minister in 1968. Trudeau.

Boo ya!

Back