News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 605     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

U of T: Back Campus Fields Project (conversion from grass to astroturf) COMPLETE

I played both football and rugby on that field in my day. I've seen drier and firmer swamps than that field in a typical wet November. I remember one football game that the field was so deep in mud that the referee refused to ask the officials to come out with the chains for first down measurements. The captains had to fetch the chains. Of course, with no visible lines, the measurements were pure guesswork anyways. And there was imminent danger for us forwards of drowning in a rugby scrum!

The general architectural ethos of the U of T is an imitation of Oxford or Cambridge. But that field was never intended to resemble the immaculate lawns of an Oxbridge quad or court, on whose sacred space only college dons may tread. They were always meant to be athletic fields. An artificial turf field will be far more useful for the field's primary purpose.

astroa31.jpg

I bet a lot of people (many of whom probably never once set foot on that grass) are pretty angry to see this happen - but it will be ok. They kept the trees on Hoskin, which is good.

No this is great !! and will be much much more popular !! There was a field around Yonge and Eglinton (a school field), when tridel rebuilt the school + condos they field was converted to be artificial and it is 100x more used today because of that ...

I bet a lot of people (many of whom probably never once set foot on that grass) are pretty angry to see this happen - but it will be ok. They kept the trees on Hoskin, which is good.

Perhaps, but I think they know not of what they speak. These fields were a constant headache; pretty in midsummer, yes, but such a nuisance to maintain and so expensive.

What are we looking at in those photos? Is that the sub-straight (under the turf) or does field hockey use a different field material?

so happy they chose a shade of green that looks like grass. It looks pretty good. I was worried we might get blue grass to match the school colours.

Back