Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

First of all, because York Region can stop writing the cheques at any time, but Toronto can't. The city would be responsible for the tunnels and stations, even if subway service was halted.

Second, the bargaining goes both ways - Toronto would expect a huge project to be built in the city too, and there isn't any huge project left in the RTP after the DRL, Yonge extension and Eglinton West are built.
You are forgetting about the the Yonge line. Even if the DRL makes it to Steeles, a 2nd Yonge line is going to be needed and we don't have a clue when the DRL will get up there let alone to Eglinton or Finch. If the DRL is not up to Finch or Steeles by 2050, going to be a bitch trying to use the Yonge line with long wait for a train to get on one.

It's time to loop the YUS line somewhere and stop this nonesense of further extensions into low density suburbia.
By looping it, you are dealing with more low density suburbia than stubbing it as is.

Yonge still needs to get to Steeles.

At this point further extension is just a massive pipe dream.

There are already so many other projects that need to come first. And with the current government already reneging on other promises there really is no priority for this.

There are already so many other projects that need to come first. And with the current government already reneging on other promises there really is no priority for this.

I would end your first sentence with nightmare rather than dream.....but other than that, agreed.

I was digging through the York Region Transportation Master Plan from 2016 and found the following map interesting, especially the ambitious arrows showing the TYSSE extended to Major Mackenzie (also Yonge Subway Extension extended again). I wonder how long until the "future study" happens and local politicians start pushing a TYSSE extension, especially with all the development happening around VMC. Langstaff, Vaughan Mills/Rutherford, and Major Mackenzie/Wonderland stations maybe? Sorry if this was a tad off topic, but thought the prospect of extending the TYSSE was post-worthy.

It's not off-topic at all and it is interesting but it's not news. 44North mentioned this months months ago (albeit somehow as "proof" that York Region isn't serious about developing VMC) and I mentioned that a couple of of pages back. but what it boils down to is...

In a world with infinite funds and all other regional priorities addressed, it could make sense to bring both arms of Line 1 to FINAL termini at Major Mack. On the yonge side, it will be the RH civic centre and on the Vaughan side there's Vaughan Mills, Wonderland and a node of moderate density planed/developing at Jane/Major Mack. Going any further at either end (at least underground) is almost geologically impossible because of the ORM and even with those infinite funds, I can't imagine it would ever make sense to go north of Major Mack.

I don't think this some how constitutes "ammo" for attacking York Region for planning ahead, subject to re-evaluation if they actually start lobbying for the thing in the next few years, but I find that unlikely. The Yonge extension is a FAR higher priority for them and I suspect RER and the final phases of Viva are also much further ahead. But it'll be good for keeping this thread alive once the SSE opens.

Perhaps Pioneer Village can be a forced transfer and YRT can get its own trains and pay to maintain them and their stations and tunnels.

People can tap in and out in the middle of the platform.

Perhaps Pioneer Village can be a forced transfer and YRT can get its own trains and pay to maintain them and their stations and tunnels.

People can tap in and out in the middle of the platform.

Why not run an LRT from Pionner Village to VMC while you're at it.

upload_2017-4-24_14-28-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-24_14-28-44.png
    upload_2017-4-24_14-28-44.png
    324 KB · Views: 412
Since people are discussing it, there are only two possible turn-back points on the extension - Wilson and Finch West. There was originally going to be a pocket track north of Downsview, but they ended up building it north of Wilson to avoid having to expropriate the businesses above it.

Why not run an LRT from Pionner Village to VMC while you're at it.
That was my recommendation during the EA study. It ran from Downsview Station to King City by Jane St at $1.2 Billion and would be in service at least 4 years or more now. We would have save a few billions by not building the subway based on its current cost so far.

You would still have the fare issue.

That was my recommendation during the EA study. It ran from Downsview Station to King City by Jane St at $1.2 Billion and would be in service at least 4 years or more now. We would have save a few billions by not building the subway based on its current cost so far.

Let me get this straight... You're saying that (A) it would've been better to build a 26+ kilometer LRT line, 10 kilometers of which would be running on two-lane highways through agricultural areas that never have been and never will be developed (because of the Greenbelt regulations), (B) that LRT would've started construction in 2011 and been finished by 2013, and (C) it would've been cheaper than the 11 km Finch West LRT (unless "a few billions" is less than $2 billion).

Wow...

Some of the London lines extend into no density suburbia, so they're good for pulling people in from afar.
Don't forget a lot of london's Tube lines were built by other railroads long before the current operators of it existed. Each of the lines used to be maintained by separate railways. If you want to know the history of each line I'd suggest looking up the Londonist youtube channel they did a whole series talking about the secrets of each of the lines. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQQsB1FFV3xrjz8jp0a-O1eLZe51lZP9d

Last edited:

Back