Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

The north south expressway is the GTA West corridor.

It's a TMP, a lot of those projects are "30 year timeline" projects. Toronto's TMP has some rather ambitious projects too.

I was digging through the York Region Transportation Master Plan from 2016 and found the following map interesting, especially the ambitious arrows showing the TYSSE extended to Major Mackenzie (also Yonge Subway Extension extended again). I wonder how long until the "future study" happens and local politicians start pushing a TYSSE extension, especially with all the development happening around VMC. Langstaff, Vaughan Mills/Rutherford, and Major Mackenzie/Wonderland stations maybe? Sorry if this was a tad off topic, but thought the prospect of extending the TYSSE was post-worthy.

54dBlNx.png

It's probably no small coincidence then that both Vaughan Mills and Wonderland are located just to the west of Jane Street, in almost perfect alignment as the upcoming terminus at Highway 7 and Millway. Another extension seems inevitable at some point.

It's probably no small coincidence then that both Vaughan Mills and Wonderland are located just to the west of Jane Street, in almost perfect alignment as the upcoming terminus at Highway 7 and Millway. Another extension seems inevitable at some point.
So you're guessing an extension of the extension will happen west of Jane, not under?

So you're guessing an extension of the extension will happen west of Jane, not under?

Yeah, I do. Look at where the present Vaughan Mills bus terminal is located. If you were to draw a straight line from VMC to Vaughan Mills, they would almost perfectly align. I could easily see an elevated guide-way running parallel to Jane all the way up to Wonderland. Tunneled through an industrial park is a mistake we ought never to repeat.

Yeah, I do. Look at where the present Vaughan Mills bus terminal is located. If you were to draw a straight line from VMC to Vaughan Mills, they would almost perfectly align. I could easily see an elevated guide-way running parallel to Jane all the way up to Wonderland. Tunneled through an industrial park is a mistake we ought never to repeat.
But we all know it will be repeated.

But we all know it will be repeated.
All TO taxpayers will be outraged if they have to pay for the operating cost associated with a Vaughan only extension. Operating 2.8km is already bad enough. Add another 6km and charging them $10 won't recover the cost.

I wonder have the TTC consider running significantly less trains north of Steeles especially on weekends and past midnight if ridership doesn't warrant. Like every 15 minutes instead of 5min. They can save 2 or 3 trains as it takes ~12 minute round trip from Steeles to VMC and back.

All TO taxpayers will be outraged if they have to pay for the operating cost associated with a Vaughan only extension. Operating 2.8km is already bad enough. Add another 6km and charging them $10 won't recover the cost.

I wonder have the TTC consider running significantly less trains north of Steeles especially on weekends and past midnight if ridership doesn't warrant. Like every 15 minutes instead of 5min. They can save 2 or 3 trains as it takes ~12 minute round trip from Steeles to VMC and back.
Do we know if trains will be short turned on the extension? Will it be Sheppard West or Pioneer Village?

Do we know if trains will be short turned on the extension? Will it be Sheppard West or Pioneer Village?
They were saying the rush hour short turn point will be move from Glencarin to Sheppard West. They haven't announced the details yet. I find it an incredible waste of money if they ran 5 minute trains to VMC carrying a few people northbound and none southbound in the quiet hours. We'll see what kinda ridership the line gets but I doubt it will be more than a few every train. The cost of operating empty trains are a few millions. Definitely more than replacing subway maps on every train every month. Considering the size of these new stations, lighting and escalator running cost will be greater than the downtown stations but it will end up like another Bessarion Station, especially Highway 407 Station.

The increase operating cost associated with TYSSE will for sure result in more fare raises or service cuts next year.

In 2007 during my meeting with the Ministry of MTO, it was explained to me why the province supported the extension to Vaughan and stated you miss it by not taking the line to Teston Rd where you build a 10-20,000 parking garage either over the 400 or beside it with ramps to/from it for the 400 traffic in both direction. The station would be beside the 400.

If any extension north of Vaughan takes place, it will have to be cover by York Region 100%, as well the full operation cost. Lets see what the quality of service will be for that extension as well the cost to ride it. The headway should be 10 minutes north of Sheppard West for off peak and 10-15 minutes on the weekend. I can hear the bitching already for those headway. If York wants better headway, they pickup the full cost doing so.

If people think that bad headway, they need to check Europe, as you will find those headways in a number of large cities. Very surprise to see them when I rode them. Even in the US you can find them in one form or another. Boston see 6 minutes at peak time.

I was digging through the York Region Transportation Master Plan from 2016 and found the following map interesting, especially the ambitious arrows showing the TYSSE extended to Major Mackenzie (also Yonge Subway Extension extended again). I wonder how long until the "future study" happens and local politicians start pushing a TYSSE extension, especially with all the development happening around VMC.

All the rhetoric about "taxpayers!!" aside, it's not going to happen without a major overhaul of how transit is operated. The way it works right now, the TTC has to agree to transit expansions, and the provincial government uses funding as a bargaining chip. That's why the subway is being extended past York University - the city preferred to spend $600 million on a subway to Highway 7 instead of spending $2 billion on a subway to York University. That same math is going to be used when the city asks for provincial DRL funding (which will almost certainly be tied to a Yonge Extension), and when the city asks for Eglinton West LRT funding (which will almost certainly depend on connecting to the airport and being integrated with Mississauga's Transitway).

There's no reason for the city to allow an extension past Highway 7, even if the provincial government funds 100% of it. The only way that it can be done is if the provincial government uploaded the subway system or imposed it on the city, neither of which would be easy to do.

If York region is paying to operate the extension, I see no reason why Toronto would oppose it.

First of all, because York Region can stop writing the cheques at any time, but Toronto can't. The city would be responsible for the tunnels and stations, even if subway service was halted.

Second, the bargaining goes both ways - Toronto would expect a huge project to be built in the city too, and there isn't any huge project left in the RTP after the DRL, Yonge extension and Eglinton West are built.

If York region is paying to operate the extension, I see no reason why Toronto would oppose it.
As I stated above, unless York is pickup the full cost to build the extension as well operating cost, Toronto doesn't want anything to do with the extension. York needs to pickup the cost of any extra trains require for this extension.

Then there is the fare issue how it will be handle.

York is doing what it wants for the Yonge line as well what happen for the SRT for this extension.

Back