Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Take a close look at the amount of light and the concrete colour in the rendering below:
YU_Concourse.jpg

Now take a close look at this:
CvlQDJ-XgAAazKS.jpg

In the former, the concrete is *white concrete*! In the latter, it's standard concrete, meant for structural, not visual use. Concrete can be beautiful, or it can be "brutal". This is brutal.

Getting back to the light factor:
http://www.lehighwhitecement.com/products/Documents/White_Concrete_Reflects_Highway_Safety.pdf

So whose decision was it to use gray concrete for the interior of this station? It was a brilliant design, (at least inside, I'm non-plussed about the exterior, in fact I find it gaudy as implemented) and doubtless, there were significant costs associated with doing this design....and then they skimped on the concrete and the amount of light that enters.

Brilliant. Not. It's like commissioning a great painter to do a piece for your living room in a mansion, but "to save costs, we're using the cheapest paints we can find, we have some left-over enamel house paint, that will have to do".

Yeah...brutal is the word alright:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...-moore-park-is-poured-poetry/article31340515/

https://www.dezeen.com/2015/11/28/today-we-like-white-concrete-architecture/

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/stations/liverpool-street/

Someone at the TTC didn't get the memo...

all is not lost, they can parge the concrete and it will still look nice.

all is not lost, they can parge the concrete and it will still look nice.
It will look nice for a short period of time until it starts collecting chemically reactive dust and grime, and then staining, not to mention that bonding a parge to hard cured concrete with a highly developed patina as you see in the pic (look for the sheen) is difficult unless the surface is ground off. It would be more apt to paint it, but that also will stain with time. There might be some binary paints (epoxies) that would seal, but what an azz-backwards way of doing this. The train has left the station on this, and I was searching yesterday to get the story as to how this had gone so 'off the rails', and there's quite a story behind it all, including the architect suing, budget being cut, wisdom teeth removed and an overbite interfering with the tongue that causes the TTC to gag and gurgle. I'll see if I can find a single, concise link to explain the incredible bungling as to what's happened. In all fairness to Byford, he landed in the middle of this.

Here's a couple of links to get an idea of the cesspool that spawned this mess:

http://www.pressreader.com/canada/metro-canada-toronto/20150320/281487864837336

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...capegoats-in-spadina-subway-fiasco-james.html

Tirana (sic) on the Lake. And the worst of this? Toronto still won't chage. Some days I find reasons to be optimistic about Toronto's future. And then reality catches up...

Edit to Add: In case some think I'm being unreasonable in expecting such projects to meet their objectives: (And previously, Canada was a model to copy, and the UK inept, bumbling, and highly inefficient)
Crossrail: on time and on budget, is this how to get a major infrastructure project right?
Written by Colin Marrs on 8 February 2016 in Feature

Crossrail, the capital’s new east-west rail link, is on track to open on time and on budget. As well as being a boon for commuters, it could also improve the UK’s reputation for delivering major infrastructure projects. Colin Marrs digs around for some lessons

PA-24814704.jpg

In less than three years, passengers will pour through ticket barriers onto the platforms of a major new London rail line. The Crossrail project is one of the most ambitious transport construction projects ever undertaken in the UK, creating 21km of twin tunnels beneath the capital’s streets. When fully operational in 2019, the line will connect Reading and Heathrow in the west to Shenfield and Abbey Wood in the east.

Despite spending decades in gestation, delivery of the project has been remarkably smooth, with the government claiming the project will be delivered on time and on budget. Experts seem to agree that the governance structures put in place for the Crossrail project have helped put the UK back on track when it comes to delivering major transport infrastructure. So what’s the secret?
[...continues at length...]
http://www.civilserviceworld.com/ar...et-how-get-major-infrastructure-project-right

Toronto and Ontario? Incapable of learning judging by present experiences.

Last edited:
First "clearance" train at Downsview Park.
Station besides, what impresses me most is the fantastic condition the body of the H4 series RT-68 is in. It has had some body work done on it, as the end panels clearly show, but one really wonders, ability of the bogies to be reset to standard gauge, if the remaining H cars in that series in that shape can't be re-used for other purposes?

Like this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbu...ar-bear-express-train-gets-facelift-1.2839330

Foam bits! Real high tech! What a bunch of gravy on that train.
Actually they are there to simulate the shape of a Toronto Rocket train if any of them come off of it or brush on something they know there's a problem. They do the same thing using two by fours when the test a roller coaster to make sure that if anyone over six feet won't get hurt if they put their hands out of the car.

It makes more sense than potentially damaging an actual Toronto Rocket train for clearance testing.
No it doesn't since this testing is done with diesel power train with April 1st being the date the gates are open at Sheppard West Station to allow the TR access to the new section. Even then, the TR will be put through clearance testing before starting real testing of the extension.

The TR had to do clearance testing on Lines 1, 2 & 4 before they could do testing and run in service.

Read back to my posting I did in January after touring the station for full detail.

The new fare gates are on schedule from what I recall. They were waiting for the delivery back in Jan on the day I was there since everything was ready for them then.

12 weeks for you to see it in person.

Actually they are there to simulate the shape of a Toronto Rocket train if any of them come off of it or brush on something they know there's a problem. They do the same thing using two by fours when the test a roller coaster to make sure that if anyone over six feet won't get hurt if they put their hands out of the car.
I hope this is not true. About 25% of males are taller than 6'. I imagine that 12.5% of riders breaking their arms on a roller coaster is an unacceptably high level of danger.

Male_Stature_vs_Age.svg

If you zoom in on the pic, and look closely, there are pressure/stress sensors under the tape, and wire is visible at the bottom front corner leading under and ostensibly into the car for analysis.

I hope that they don't need to spend too much time on clearance testing. It seems unbelievable that with so many years of operational experience with the tr that they would even take the chance of having a tunnel design that would be remotely close to having clearance issues. Hopefully the majority of the summer and fall's worth of testing is going to be for atc calibration and not on fundamental issues that really shouldn't be showing up.

I hope that they don't need to spend too much time on clearance testing. It seems unbelievable that with so many years of operational experience with the tr that they would even take the chance of having a tunnel design that would be remotely close to having clearance issues. Hopefully the majority of the summer and fall's worth of testing is going to be for atc calibration and not on fundamental issues that really shouldn't be showing up.
I don't know if it has happened to the TTC in the past, but it has happened quite a few times on other systems. Plus it's almost inevitably required for certification before the public can use the system.

How bad can gaffes like this be? (Absolute apologies for referencing the Daily Mail, but it had the two aspects to this story in one, better reference on-line for those wanting it)
France’s national rail operator SNCF - which runs its prestigious TGV fast trains – has sparked ridicule after ordering a multi-million pound fleet of trains that are too tall to fit in Italy’s tunnels.

The spectacular blunder from rail bosses means the cross-Europe trains will have to stop before entering Italy, where passengers will have to board a smaller train.

The new trains are several milimetres higher than the maximum height of the tunnels along the Riviera coastline route, according to Nice Matin newspaper.

French rail operator SNCF says the trains will be put into service this week - but only as far as the French border.

Last year, the national rail operator cost taxpayers dearly after they bought 2,000 trains that are 1.2in too wide for its platforms. As a result, 1,300 stations were upgraded, with workers chpping off the edges of platforms.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-pound-fleet-operate-cross-Europe-routes.html

That is surface rail, but it has happened on subway systems too, more often than you'd care to think, much of that on curves with a longer car body than was historically used.

Edit to Add: Three Google hits for subways, there's more:

Berlin subway tunnels need rebuild to fit new too-wide trains - NY ...
www.nydailynews.com/.../berlin-subway-tunnels-rebuild-fit-new-too-wide-trains-article-...
Jan 17, 2014 - Sections of a German city's subway will have to be rebuilt after operators bought trains that were too wide for its tunnels. Bungling subway ...

Montreal's All-New STM Metro Cars Don't Fit In The Tunnels - MTL Blog
www.mtlblog.com/montreals-all-new-stm-metro-cars-dont-fit-in-the-tunnels/
Apr 25, 2014 - Can't fit and might just tip over. ... The new AZUR metro cars, meant to roll out onto metro tracks this fall, are simply too big and too heavy for the ...

MTA Had To Shave Down Second Avenue Line Walls That Were Too ...
gothamist.com/2016/10/22/mta_had_to_shave_down_second_avenue.php
Oct 22, 2016 - Ah, the Second Avenue subway, the MTA's little line that couldn't. ... had to be shaved down to fit some of the trains cars that the MTA uses.

Last edited:

Back