Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

What is the planned density of this area equivalent to in Toronto? Sheppard, north York centre, etc...

Good question! Forgetting about the Yonge corridor, just looking at the growth centre itself:
Richmond Hill - 450 jobs/people per hectare
Markham - 1,0000 jobs/people per hectare
Overall=675

Using Neptis report here as a source for comparison:
Downtown TO: 474
Yonge-Eg: 305
North York Centre: 237
Scarborough 86 (!)

The downtown number probably skews a bit low because it used to be a lot of jobs and not many residents and now there's increasingly more of a balance. Langstaff (Markham)'s numbers are so high because it's such a small area; obviously that's also at full build-out. If anyone has different density figures, go for it.

ADD: A Star article in which the City says its data shows downtown is actually 708. Could be a discrepancy of time and/or where the lines are drawn on a map.

Last edited:
Good question! Forgetting about the Yonge corridor, just looking at the growth centre itself:
Overall=675

Scarborough 86 (!)

The downtown number probably skews a bit low because it used to be a lot of jobs and not many residents and now there's increasingly more of a balance. Langstaff (Markham)'s numbers are so high because it's such a small area; obviously that's also at full build-out. If anyone has different density figures, go for it.

ADD: A Star article in which the City says its data shows downtown is actually 708. Could be a discrepancy of time and/or where the lines are drawn on a map.

Planned growth isn't always a reality even if a subway gets built...

I'm pointing at Exhibit A where the growth projection meant that Sheppard subway was a no brainer back then

EXHIBIT A
20130315-Sheppard-Platform-Alt-Alt.jpg

How about the subway gets build where the demand is already there first instead of where it potentially could be?

DRL corridor=Subway is justified (the demand is already there)
Richmond Hill=Not yet

I know you can see with your own eyes how the phasing triggers are based around what modes arIt's not "Development is contingent on a subway," it's that THIS LEVEL of development (and, more importantly, mode split) is only achievable with a subway.

I don't dispute the calculations, but this argument strikes me as similar to the one using the calculations (which, again, I don't dispute) that say Smarttrack will be wildly successful if it runs at 5 minute headways. The problem being - we would have to abandon GO altogether to make a 5-minute ST service fit on the available GO tracks.

We *could* do that, but it would have an impact we don't accept.

Similarly, we *could* enable massive development in York Region by building a subway, but at the expense of things that (with all respect to YR) may be more pressing.. I like the idea of LRT up Yonge, and I don't feel that it is anti-YR if that imposes a lower ultimate scope to development. What's more pressing is that we adequately service the downtown where there has already been massive investment and where we are counting on transit to make thing livable. They already built that, so the transit has to come to them first. If that frustrates a few aspirations or possibilities up north, so be it.

- Paul

That's pretty well said, Paul. I don't necessarily disagree with the gist. I'd only point out that it's not entirely about aspirations. If we accept the premise of the growth plan - that X population is coming and we have to put them somewhere and we want to put them in particular places - we want to have the infrastructure to facilitate that. Not just in York Region but Toronto and elsewhere too,of course. If YR doesn't achieve its "aspirations," which is to say, if people can't find housing along transit close to Toronto, you facilitate leapfrog development, urban sprawl etc. That's a simplification of cause and effect, but still true.

We also definitely want intensification in Scarborough (among other places), but I don't get the sense that's why they really wanted the subway; it wasn't the theme of the council debate that resulted in that project's approval. Certainly Rob Ford never said, "This will allow us to achieve a true, mixed-use hub for Scarborough!"

That's why I resent people criticizing York Region for wanting a subway. It's not a toy they want to play with. It's a tool for achieving laudable goals. No one, at least not me, claims that it doesn't raise issues of capital/operating funding, downstream capacity etc; no one is trying to cripple Toronto. A subway, IMHO (and many others) maximizes the potential of the Yonge corridor and the under-utilized land at the terminus. If it ends up as an LRT, those goalposts will be moved but criticizing them for trying is just so very short-sighted.

We're pulling out red herrings from 2012? I might as well pull out how brilliant it is for Toronto to passing tax increases below the rate of inflation.

Anyway - read the article: It says people think York Region is encouraging more sprawl to reduce its debt. That's a fair charge. But it doesn't remotely to apply to THIS thread, which is about a project that even if does not overtly reduce sprawl, certainly fast-tracks development that is anything but.

Actually it does apply to this thread. The success of the subway extension depends almost entirely on some optimistic urban development plans being pitched by a regional municipality with an abysmal transit system and a poor history when it comes to smart growth. A municipality where most new residents come here for a large house with a backyard where they can raise a family, rather than an urban lifestyle for which there are much better options elsewhere.

To be fair, I think Markham has been doing a good job so far and is poised for success. But Richmond Hill centre, even if it lives up to the lofty promises which other centres have failed to achieve, I don't see how it will be a great place to live except for people who only care about convenient transit/highway access and nothing else. I visited with my bicycle last year, taking pictures of the only recent development in that area. I came in from Bayview via High Tech Rd, then north on Red Maple Rd, and west on Bantry Ave to Yonge. To sum up my impression: a bunch of huge roads, a lot of cars, and an unbelievable amount of traffic noise coming from the nearby highways. I don't think that could change much over time. As a non-driver, this place is really unpleasant and unappealing to me.

Furthermore, the growth area is comprises of two parts - Richmond Hill Centre and Langstaff Gateway. But these two areas are separated by a hydro corridor, a highway next to a highway + all their offramps. There will be only one new road that will cut across all this and connect the two areas. And then there's also a rail corridor bisecting the site in the north-south direction. Torontonians know all too well about the problems caused by the Gardiner + GO rail corridor combo, but even that is minor barrier compared to the potent cocktail of transportation infrastructure that crisscrosses Richmond Hill Centre. With that combined with the negatives I described from my bike tour, I have a hard time imagining this place as a vibrant urban area. I think it will turn out more like Scarborough Centre: decent transit, a decent walk score, some new development, but not beautiful or lively in any way, and hobbled by a terrible road network.

Screen shot 2016-03-04 at 3.57.34 PM.png

For the record, I'm not arguing against the subway. However I'm not ready to fall for the hype surrounding RH Centre.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-03-04 at 3.57.34 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-03-04 at 3.57.34 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 341
Overall=675

Scarborough 86 (!)

Toronto's financial district/South Core hosts 1000 jobs per hectare. Obviously, I'm completely skeptical of the potential of the Markham side of the Yonge north centre to achieve anywhere near the density of Toronto's financial district. And the suggestion that it'll achieve three times the density of Yonge-Eglinton, 4 times the density of North York Centre also seems ludicrous to me.

What's proposed here appears very similar in nature to the province's failed "nodes" plans of the 1960s to late 90s. The plan back then was to distribute high employment in nodes across the region. The plan flopped hard. Only one of the centres could be considered a success is North York Centre, and even that was of rather mediocre size and density.

Remember, the thinking that North York and Scarborough Centre would become very dense was the primary justification for the Sheppard Subway.

I struggle to see why we'd expect the Yonge North corridor to be any more successful than any of these other nodes, especially North York Centre.

The issue that faces Yonge North, Scarborough Centre, and these other nodes is that the cost of developing across the region is generally fixed. Relative to potential profits, it's not substantially more expensive to build these developments in Downtown Toronto (where they'll make more profit) than it is in one of these nodes. Furthermore, we know the trend recently has been to build and relocate office space to the downtown core, where employers will have access to a significantly larger share of employees and customers (thanks to easy access to Downtown Toronto from around the region). I don't see Yonge North, or any of these other suburban nodes, being particularly attractive for employers, unless these employers are highly cost sensitive.

Finally, I think it's time our region moves away from the "build it and they will come" model of transportation development. I can't think of a single instance where it's been successful. We have plenty of other nodes in the region that already have the demand for higher modes of transit, and that's where we should focus our efforts. If and when the necessary demand materializes in the Yonge North area is when we should built higher order transit there (Yonge extension to Steeles certainly has materialized the demand necessary for the subway, due to high bus traffic).

OK I don't understand one thing: if one argues that ridership is sufficient in Yonge North for a subway, then why don't we build a subway along King/Queen st first, since the ridership of 504/501 is four times as much? Why do the people in York region feel more entitled to a subway ride to downtown (when they don't even pay Toronto property tax) when residents along King/Queen corridor have to suffer huge congestion every day?
Instead of asking York Region why they're pursuing a subway, you should ask why Toronto has done so little to build a subway across King/Queen.

No, you don't understand.
It's not a "subway only argument." Sigh. It's a density calculation based on subway capacity. If an LRT had been on the books when Calthorpe was hired he would have based his calculations on that, but post-2007, the subway was the plan. He's not from here - he was looking at The Big Move which showed that hub earmarked for subway, 407 Transitway, Viva (and YRT) and all-day, two-way GO, presumably by 2031. That was the assumption he had to work with and he proceeded accordingly.

If you ran the numbers with different modes, you'd get different density/population figures. IBI and Genivar were asked to ascertain whether you could actually fit that many people in that space with that few cars, based on the assumptions of those specific transit modes. They concluded that it was viable.

I know you can see with your own eyes how the phasing triggers are based around what modes are under construction/in operation and based on the mode splits achieved to date. So I don't know how you can say, with a straight face, what you're saying. It's not "Development is contingent on a subway," it's that THIS LEVEL of development (and, more importantly, mode split) is only achievable with a subway. Pull out any one piece and the development and mode split levels change, downwards. It should be self evident at this point. You don't have be an engineer to understand that if you have LRT and buses instead of subway and BRT, you can't have as many people living there.

I've tried to explain it, reasonably and sensibly so we could proceed to "argue" from facts. It clearly cannot be done.

You know I read the LG plans, and we've had very similar discussions in the past. I understand that in the YN BCA it says with no improvements to the GO line, Langstaff subway station was to have less than 5k peak boardings/alightings in 2031. Keep in mind that's with no improvements to the RH line (which contradicts the very same report that says it was to have improvements).

I also understand that Calthorpe proposed using PRT (i.e a human-sized hamster ball on a track) to bring people across the almost 2km elongated site to their district station located on the western edge. Whatever scheme used, it was apparently to be so popular that a whopping ~65% of commuters in Langstaff Gateway are to use transit. Odd as that is, I'm not disputing that.

I also understand that plans (secondary, official, transportation, napkin, etc) change all the time. So what was once planned as an ultra-high density Parisian mini metropolist wedged between a toll highway and cemetery could very well d/evolve into something a tad more realistic. If the City decides to keep some roadway allowances for future use, and it turns out that residents do in fact drive, roadway expansion and auto use may be higher than envisioned. And if the City decides to put streetscape improvements on the backburner to save a couple million (e.g like VMC and their wooden hydro towers), perhaps less people might walk than envisioned. And if YRT turns out to be less popular and offers poor service, people might ride less transit than envisioned.

Regardless, I'm not disputing the ultra-high projections for development or transit ridership. I'm pointing out that a subway isn't a requirement for the density proposed or its buildout, nor is buildout contingent on the subway. It's only claimed to be through the omission of nearby network improvements, and the skipping over of modes that could be built in place of a subway - modes that IMO could actually serve Langstaff Gtwy better than a peripheral subway station and pod conveyance system.

No offense but this line of thinking (excuse the pun) is exactly why our transportation network is in such a dire state. Assuming that modelling numbers are gospel without understanding the assumptions that went into these models is almost as much of a disservice as alleging that the Region concocted a BCA to justify the subway by artificially omitting GO Ridership numbers created 5 years prior where the assumptions were fairly different considering the political and funding realities of what had been projected in 2008 (remember that $2B/yr figure that the entire BIG MOVE was based on?).

Those numbers you mention for RH GO are based on 2008 assumptions of a built network of transit projects that included the now nonexistant Transit City Network and projected corridor growths that these projects would have created. The report is nearly a decade old which is almost ancient for Land-Use and Transportation modelling considering fundamental realities which have occurred in the urban fabric of the region. 2008 data was likely using the 2006 Transportation Tomorrow Survey and Census data as a base for O-D generation, whereas anything later than 2011 would likely have been using the 2011 TTS and Census data (although I can't find out where they pulled this data from admittedly), so to assume that the baselines are the same for those two reports you mention is false.

It's easy to cherry pick which data you prefer to support your case, but a realistic and fair explanation of what goes into these numbers is only fair if you're going to toss accusations about playing with numbers. It's why we don't build subways on Queen St based on data from 60 years ago, because they're just projections based on assumptions that were available at the time.

I don't take the 2008 modeling as gospel, and would call into question much of the numbers for the projects presented. Though I do understand the baselines and assumptions it used. These assumptions were very similar to the ones used in the Yonge North study and virtually every other transit project 'round that time. That is: with P2G in full effect, and the highest achievable residential/employment and transit mode shares for the UGCs and Big Move projects.

And I'm not tossing an accusation about "playing with numbers". I'm tossing an accusation about a glaring omission - one which invariably resulted in higher ridership #s for the subway. Again, the RH Express Rail option was most definitely on the table, and was very much presented in the 2013 Yonge North BCA - so clearly I'm not "cherry picking" data from different periods of time. In the 2013 Yonge North BCA these GO improvement were in fact presented as an option for RHC/LG, just as the subway was presented as an option for RHC/LG. The problem? The option of both a subway and express rail weren't shown together - despite the fact that both were priorities to be in place by 2031.

Do you get it? This isn't cherry picking or playing w/ numbers, this is about one specific area and the exclusion of a number which could very well make or break a $4.6bn transit project (and if looking at previous modelling, my guess would be on break). With many other recent transit projects we're seemingly leaving no stone unturned in looking at every computation (see YRNS, Sheppard, Eglinton East/West, SRT, Waterfront, Scarb Subway, RER etc). In the instance of Yonge North it seems to be the complete opposite. One computation which had a glaring omission (that obviously works in subway supporters' favour), and people dust their hands and say done deal.

I don't take the 2008 modeling as gospel, and would call into question much of the numbers for the projects presented. Though I do understand the baselines and assumptions it used. These assumptions were very similar to the ones used in the Yonge North study and virtually every other transit project 'round that time. That is: with P2G in full effect, and the highest achievable residential/employment and transit mode shares for the UGCs and Big Move projects.

Interesting, considering Toronto City Planning uses opposite assumptions when using the GTA v 4.0 model: The lowest possible growth scenario. Decades of overshot ridership projections looks to have made them a bit more cautious with their assumptions.

Interesting, considering Toronto City Planning uses opposite assumptions when using the GTA v 4.0 model: The lowest possible growth scenario. Decades of overshot ridership projections looks to have made them a bit more cautious with their assumptions.

Exactly! You obviously read the recent deluge of transit reports. What were we greeted with? Various ranges of development and ridership. When did that ever happen with this $4.6bn subway extension? Never.

I don't see much of a justification for any of these suburban subway extensions. The first priority, by far, should be the DRL (even ahead of a Scarborough extension).

Too bad Miller didn't stick around for a 3rd term.

I don't see much of a justification for any of these suburban subway extensions. The first priority, by far, should be the DRL (even ahead of a Scarborough extension).

Too bad Miller didn't stick around for a 3rd term.
If Miller ran and was reelected, we would be riding the Sheppard LRT (if we had the cars on opening date), watching the SRT extension nearing completion and work starting to convert the SRT, riding QQ east line, using the Young ROW between Finch and Steeles today.

Possible seeing St Clair extension and the subway extension to Cloverdale. Then there is the rest of Transit City plan that could be very live now.

Maybe the DRL would be more advance than it is now.

If Miller ran and was reelected, we would be riding the Sheppard LRT (if we had the cars on opening date), watching the SRT extension nearing completion and work starting to convert the SRT, riding QQ east line, using the Young ROW between Finch and Steeles today.

Possible seeing St Clair extension and the subway extension to Cloverdale. Then there is the rest of Transit City plan that could be very live now.

Maybe the DRL would be more advance than it is now.

The Relief Line studies were initiated towards the end of Ford's term (2013), after the coup d'etat. Despite UT rumours to the contrary, Miller did support the Relief Line, and it is probable that work would've been started on it a year or two earlier.

Saying that the current plans provide a sliver of capacity doesn't seem to be saying that. Wasn't his main point, that it's all about Toronto - which is true. TTC and City have no problem adding the Eglinton line, and Sheppard LRT extension, both of which will increase ridership on the Yonge subway. And instead of going with DLR, they are instead going with the Scarborough Subway extension, which will also add more people to Bloor-Yonge.

So Toronto has not said there's no capacity - but there's no capacity for York. I commend York for pointing out Toronto and TTC's hypocrisy.

Wasn't that a reference to the Spadina extension, not the Yonge extension?
Well Toronto = TTC. Its Toronto Transit Commission and I wish John Tory would stop this talk about connecting Markham to Mississauga. If he wanted to implement provincial policies he should have run for premier again. As mayor it should be all about Toronto

Well Toronto = TTC. Its Toronto Transit Commission and I wish John Tory would stop this talk about connecting Markham to Mississauga. If he wanted to implement provincial policies he should have run for premier again. As mayor it should be all about Toronto

What an absolutely absurd statement. By your logic we should have absolutely zero transit service between Toronto and the surrounding cities - frankly, following that chain of logic, we should ban everybody who doesn't live in Toronto from entering the city.

Also, I assume "connecting Markham to Mississauga" refers to SmartTrack - SmartTrack is not for the purpose of providing a Markham resident fast transit to Mississauga or vice versa, it is for connecting somebody who lives in one of those cities with their job in Toronto; seeing as it runs Markham-Union-Mississauga it is a rather circuitous trip to take from end to end. Even if somebody uses it for that purpose, they would pay a fare and the provincial taxes that fund a significant portion of it, not like they get a free ride on Toronto's money.

Reactions: BMO

Back