News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 321     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 876     0 

TTC: Why was the upper half of the University Portion of the YUS line never relocated

One oft-overlooked reason for the Spadina's ridership being less than Yonge's is the structure of E-W bus routes. Almost all western bus routes connect to both Spadina and Yonge lines, whereas all routes going to Yonge from the east terminate there without connecting to Spadina.

The good thing about this is that it acts as a massive relief for Yonge for riders coming from the west. It's unfortunate there's nothing on the east side.

I think Spadina is fine. The question is: would you rather have the current line up to Downsview, or a fully underground subway along Bathurst up to St. Clair.
Back in the day, the focus was to build things cost efficiently.
Bathurst st is too close to yonge and that subway. Dufferin made more sense

Yes we know that feeder routes are extremely important for subway ridership in our city. However, why wouldn't you prefer a subway to be directly under a more urban street with walkability and high density? You would still get the feeder routes going into it, why not also make it more convenient and closer to people's origins & destinations?

My other argument is this, although it applies mainly south of Bloor.

A. University and Yonge are simply too close together and it would have been better for transit access to move it further to either Spadina or Bathurst.

B. This is not a well researched argument, but anecdotally in my life and the people I know, I find that many destinations for transit downtown are near Spadina and Bathurst. Many workplaces are located along those streets, as well as restaurants, and when visiting people, I just find that west of Spadina is a very high percentage of transit destinations. I feel that having a subway on Spadina & Yonge or Bathurst & Yonge would've put more common destinations within a shorter walk than the current University & Yonge.

Anyways it's kind of funny that we're discussing this given that this subway opened 50 years ago :)
How many restuarants are located along Bathurst north of Davenport? Not many. in fact Bathurst is residential with small apartment buildings, townhouses and even single detached houses although Dufferin is worst with mainly detached houses and semi's

Last edited:
Most rush hour commuters are not going to Spadina Ave. University is very well used, and serves the financial district, U of T, hospitals, and research facilities. At the time when the subway was built, there was hardly anything around Spadina, but even today I think the alignment makes sense.

Can you imagine the Yonge line today if all those people using university south of St George were using yonge

How many restuarants are located along Bathurst north of Davenport? Not many. in fact Bathurst is residential with small apartment buildings, townhouses and even single detached houses although Dufferin is worst with mainly detached houses and semi's

I was talking about south of Bloor, like King-Bathurst and Queen-Bathurst areas.

All I'm saying is that for me personally and the people I know, many have had jobs or have had to go to King-Bathurst or Queen-Bathurst area for social reasons.

Can you imagine the Yonge line today if all those people using university south of St George were using yonge

IIRC, the University Subway is at less than 50% capacity at peak hour and peak direction. Regardless it acts as a massive relief for Yonge. There's no way Yonge would have been able to handle the riders from Uni. The Wellesley to Bloor-Yonge section is already over 100% capacity.

14104764561_a4fcf152c2_b.jpg

14104782381_0829fc5983_b.jpg

Last edited:
[video=youtube;xG-meaGqg-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG-meaGqg-M[/video]

Check out the guy who tries to get out but is pushed back in lol

Well we have 1.5 lines on the way to catch up :)

Beijing is not a good benchmark as it is more of NYC's size.
In Nanjing, a city comparable to Toronto's size, 8 new subway lines are under construction at the same time as we speak, most of which will be completed with a couple of years, way ahead of Eglinton!

Yeah, but what's the average density of Nanjing vs. the GTA? Population size isn't a great indicator of the viability of subways per se.

AoD

Back