News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 535     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

TTC: Waterfront Transit EA

How is every 7 minutes (weekdays, Saturday, Sunday) infrequent? In New York City the D train to Coney Island is only every 10 minutes!

Admittedly it was a few years ago and I was taking it earlier in the morning, but I don't remember it being every 7 mins. Glad to see that the frequency is boosted during most of the day though.

Admittedly it was a few years ago and I was taking it earlier in the morning, but I don't remember it being every 7 mins. Glad to see that the frequency is boosted during most of the day though.
It's a bit less frequent in AM rush in the summer - every 9 minutes. I don't see many of the beach crowd waiting when I arrive at Woodbine station at 8 AM.

I'm sure you remember the piles of sand in the bus from people's shoes in the summer!

Here is last summer's schedule:
upload_2016-2-16_13-39-58.png

Not sure why it isn't in the 10-minute network - even in the winter, they only need add 1 bus most of the day.

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-16_13-39-58.png
    upload_2016-2-16_13-39-58.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,240
https://twitter.com/moore_oliver/status/699569076595613696

New transit plan shows Waterfront LRT east to Leslie. Has it ever been proposed this far east? (I thought Parliament was the previous eastern terminus)

In the west end, why doesn't the LRT terminate at Long Branch instead of Park Lawn? Lakeshore is wide enough to convert the streetcar tracts to a ROW, just like at St Clair. It wouldn't cost a lot of money to do it.

It's a bit less frequent in AM rush in the summer - every 9 minutes. I don't see many of the beach crowd waiting when I arrive at Woodbine station at 8 AM.

I'm sure you remember the piles of sand in the bus from people's shoes in the summer!

Here is last summer's schedule:
View attachment 67089

Not sure why it isn't in the 10-minute network - even in the winter, they only need add 1 bus most of the day.

Has it always been like that? I was out there quite a bit one summer, but that was over a decade ago. Pretty decent service now though, by the looks of it. Still, having a direct connection between there and Union would be a huge boost.

In the west end, why doesn't the LRT terminate at Long Branch instead of Park Lawn? Lakeshore is wide enough to convert the streetcar tracts to a ROW, just like at St Clair. It wouldn't cost a lot of money to do it.
It shows both. The first phase to Parklawn (in the 15-year plan I think), and later east of Cherry and West of Park Lawn - presumably that next dot south and a bit west of Kipling GO is Long Branch.

At today's meeting, the section between Cherry and Leslie is not ghosted in rather than a thick line. This suggests that the Cherry and Leslie section is now pushed to a phase 2.

There was an EA study some years ago that saw the current line being extended west from the CNE Loop along the Lake Shore to Windemere that loop back to the Queensway and follow the current route to Long Branch. It was a mistake not keeping it 100% on the Lake Shore and that had to due with the cost of rebuilding the Humber River bridge to support streetcar.

The Bremner plan is now dead as well being DOA based on what happening around Fort York these days. Major operation issue at Bay St under the ACC.

Depending on what been plan or happening to Ontario Place, you could pull out the 90's plan and run it on the Lake Shore than doing the CNE Loop route.

Going east to Woodbine from East Bay, the LRT line was in the 2005/6 Master Transit Plan approved by TTC Commissioners and City council along the Lake Shore. TTC removed it when the plan had to be split up and should be there again as a high order compare to what been looked at now.

I'm interested in the discussion around woodbine. Is the idea that there would be a line across lakeshore up to Gerard on woodbine? Or would it continue up to the subway or maybe go along Kingston Rd.

A complete route from woodbine over to park lawn would be pretty impressive. It would also allow for some north south rerouting on the east end. I also assume there would be some benefits for car moves to the Leslie barns.

Think you'd need a pretty good reason to extend all the way to and then up Woodbine, given the relatively simpler task of accessing the various east side routes via Coxwell-Queen which is 500m north of Lake Shore. An alternative approach might be a west side of the street alignment along Northern Dancer Boulevard and a realigned Woodbine Loop (requiring a good deal of expropriation and mayhem) but on its own that doesn't get you direct access to the 506 route.

I'm interested in the discussion around woodbine. Is the idea that there would be a line across lakeshore up to Gerard on woodbine? Or would it continue up to the subway or maybe go along Kingston Rd.

A complete route from woodbine over to park lawn would be pretty impressive. It would also allow for some north south rerouting on the east end. I also assume there would be some benefits for car moves to the Leslie barns.

There's definitely some really interesting combinations that could be worked out. Woodbine, Coxwell, Kingston Rd...or all of the above. Then connecting to Villiers Island and East Bayfront either using Commissioners or Lake Shore (or both). Then far east and west extensions, like extending from Long Branch to Port Credit, and/or going along Kingston Rd from Vic Pk to Morningside or Rouge Park. This would be a true cross-Waterfront streetcar/LRT.

But my guess is that even with the "Waterfront Reset" complete, everything east of perhaps Carlaw will still remain undecided. I think the biggest issue right now is figuring out and fixing the Union Loop and East Bayfront mess. Not to mention Humber Bay's situation.

But my guess is that even with the "Waterfront Reset" complete, everything east of perhaps Carlaw will still remain undecided. I think the biggest issue right now is figuring out and fixing the Union Loop and East Bayfront mess. Not to mention Humber Bay's situation.
Yes, getting a connection to Union is the top priority and (once a line exists to Parliament) I guess this will be followed by an extension to Cherry and a link to the Cherry Street spur.

Back