News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

TTC union's ad campaign precedes contract vote

Here we go again...

On a similar note, I was boarding a streetcar yesterday and the driver had a copy of the union circular proclaiming in large font their unanimous rejection of the initial TTC offer blatantly sitting on the space by the farebox at the front of the streetcar

Well, hopefully by the time they go on strike, it'll be bike weather and I won't have to look at the TTC until next winter.

contract expires vs. strike position...

from the star story:

"The launch comes as the union is preparing to vote on a contract offer on Wednesday. Union president Bob Kinnear says he expects his members will firmly reject the company's initial offer of 2 per cent in a 4-year settlement. The current agreement expires March 31."

no surprise they would turn down 2% a year -- a little surprising they were even offered that, when everyone else is getting 3%

and 4 years? what are cops, firefighters and 416 getting?

so far it sounds like an initial offer that you expect will be rejected

I've got a bike this time (unlike the 2005 illegal wildcat strike). It's a long haul for me, but it could be fun. I've biked downtown before.

Two percent is low, 3% is reasonable. I'd also love to see the Ontario Health Premium perk clawed back (why should we pay someone else's income tax?), but that'll never happen.

So their current ad is about each driver being worth a million dollars. The other possible ad which states "Bus drivers: not everyone can drive an automatic with steering wheel and pedals" got thrown out after that guy took a bus on a joy ride. :D Why aren't these contracts tied to inflation in the city? There really isn't any point giving more than inflation because the job is the same and there is no reason to say they are performing better than ever, and at the same time giving below inflation would be reducing their disposable income.

Thanks for posting the BlogTO post. I could only watch the first minute or so. It's absolutely ridiculous - sure the TTC is important to the city, but tying that into the union's contract demands is a long stretch. It's basically blackmail to give 'em what they want, because unlike more reasonable unions (where it is much more usual to work "without a contract" for weeks or even months while negotiations go on), they strike the first chance they get, never mind even the law.

So when would the hypothetical date for a strike be? Right when all the Universitys and Colleges are having Finals?

It seems like the TTC is getting its union tactics from another city department...

- Do you support the police or do you support the criminals? Just think of what it would be like if there were no police.
- Do you support the TTC or do you support congestion and pollution? Just think of what it would be like if we had no TTC.

Marilyn Churley finishes the video with the line "Public transit, what could be better?". I'd like to think that perhaps public transit could be better.

You think that video's propaganda? Watch their TV ads. (The simple fact that they even have TV ads already prepared is concerning in itself)

http://www.worthamillion.ca/index.asp?pid=19

Eric "helps disabled people"... by driving a van.
Kim "comforts people on their long commutes"... by installing seats on vehicles.
Barbara "prevents tonnes of polluting emissions"... by driving a streetcar.

It makes it sounds like they're United Way volunteers or something.

(I also posted this on BlogTO)

The fact that they have TV ads is enough to make me worry that

1 - that the union already is creaming itself at the idea of subjecting us to another strike;
2 - that the union is using union dues to produce ads and buy TV time to satisfy its desire for a strike).
3 - that they think we're not smart. They're are spending money on this and expect us to swallow this tripe? People still remember May 2006 quite well.

And the thing that I am tired the most of is the "our employees are heroes" line. Wow, golly, the operator picked a phone and called an incident in. It's an insult to anyone who has made a genuine heroic act.

Back