News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 627     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: The Yonge Subway Line turns 60 years old

You can say that about anything. You could say that about all the new streetcar track laid down in the past few years. Everything costs money to maintain. That should be a surprise to no one.

Our system is quite new compared to many east coast cities in North America previously mentioned like Boston, NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia.

I'm optimistic about the future of the Yonge subway, looking forward having it be modernized with the new signalling system, the new rocket trains, and I'm hoping for glass platform doors sometime after ATC to further increase reliability (to prevent the line from being shut down when trash is thrown on the tracks or people jump or fall into it).

We can also look forward to Union station finishing, and it'll be interesting to see how Eglinton changes with the platform being moved north and the Eglinton LRT connection.

Also the track repairs on the open track section at Davisville will hopefully speed the train up around there. Maybe they'll wait until the Eglinton LRT happens before shutting that part down for repair so that people can take it to Eglinton West and go south on the Spadina line.

Last edited:
Short term outlook for Yonge is great. Long term I'm not very optimistic about. I'm not sure what we'll do when the Yonge subway inevitably reaches full capacity again. But I guess that's something for the next generation of Torontonians to deal with :eek:

Short term outlook for Yonge is great. Long term I'm not very optimistic about. I'm not sure what we'll do when the Yonge subway inevitably reaches full capacity again. But I guess that's something for the next generation of Torontonians to deal with :eek:

Well I mean, the same thing will happen to the Yonge line as the 4-5-6 line in NYC, or any other full subway line in any other city. It'll keep running full and more lines will be built parallel and near it to relieve it. Those who can travel earlier or later in order to avoid the peak will do so, or find alternate ways, or simply wait in line at the station.

Wonder what the line will be like when there's the 100th anniversary. Could go from Upper Canada Mall to Union, and then up to Bradford.

If you put in ATC and platform doors and use rocket trains and increase frequency, it's hard to see Yonge reaching capacity in our lifetimes. If the region ever gets true suburban rail service, Yonge will be sufficiently relieved that it's hard to see Yonge being even as overcrowded as it is today.

cKWgDcM.jpg

MARK and Everyone: Interesting color schemes for all of the original TTC Yonge Subway stations...60 years of service...
I noticed the pattern for each station...I will add that the design of this original line was of the 50s utilitarian design...

LI MIKE

Yeah and they'll also have en express line on Yonge with new tunnels underneath the current ones. ;)

If you take away the feeder buses, Yonge runs at about 25% capacity. Bus routes can be changed pretty easily to hit another line like a GO line with frequent service.

Wonder what the line will be like when there's the 100th anniversary. Could go from Upper Canada Mall to Union, and then up to Bradford.

Potentially.
Judging by the pace of construction it could also only go from Richmond Hill Centre to Vaughan Centre via Union.
Of course for anything beyond that subway is pretty much a waste. We can't tell precisely what's going to happen in terms of development and urbanization forty years in the future, but I doubt subway-level density will ever get built that far up.
I'm hoping that by that time we might have an entirely new north south and a new east west subway line in Toronto, but who's to say :p

Yonge isn't expected to be at capacity until roughly 2035, unless the yonge extension gets built which would put it much sooner.

Back