News   May 24, 2024
 9K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 491     0 

TTC: St. Clair Streetcar Right Of Way

Why not? You won't be naming names

Its easy to trace the story back to the person from the powers to be. I have rewritten certain things in my own words that I have heard and been told that person was to say no more from his boss to me.

i finally had a chance to drive along the saint clair right of way from saint clair and keele all the way to saint clair and young street. man o man what a big improvement it made to the cosmetical aspect of the neighbourhood. it also made a significant improvement in traffic levels ie i drove during the evening rush hour. secondly of all, the neighbourhood was falling appart, had poor infastructure. guess what? it was totally worth it. Ever take a look around you? the only wires overhead are the streetcar high voltage power lines running in the middle of the road. there are no more old and beat up hydro poles, with the overloaded and obsolete wires, its all burried hydro, the sidewalks are all new, the street light are a big improvement and all spice up the neighbourhood look, no more old clunky light poles, were not living in 1920s anyways so why was our light poles from that era? new gas and water mains underground, etc, new paved roads, no pot holes, its all nice. idunno bout you but this neighbourood growing up as a kid around here was due for an overall, good on the ttc for this.

i finally had a chance to drive along the saint clair right of way from saint clair and keele all the way to saint clair and young street. man o man what a big improvement it made to the cosmetical aspect of the neighbourhood. it also made a significant improvement in traffic levels ie i drove during the evening rush hour. secondly of all, the neighbourhood was falling appart, had poor infastructure. guess what? it was totally worth it. Ever take a look around you? the only wires overhead are the streetcar high voltage power lines running in the middle of the road. there are no more old and beat up hydro poles, with the overloaded and obsolete wires, its all burried hydro, the sidewalks are all new, the street light are a big improvement and all spice up the neighbourhood look, no more old clunky light poles, were not living in 1920s anyways so why was our light poles from that era? new gas and water mains underground, etc, new paved roads, no pot holes, its all nice. idunno bout you but this neighbourood growing up as a kid around here was due for an overall, good on the ttc for this.

Its even better improvement for the transit users. The only failure is that the transit signals do not give the streetcars real first priority at the signal intersections. It is too bad that the works department (and Ontario government) would not let the city use transit signals that are similar to transit signals used in other parts of the world, but continue to use transit signals that can be confused with the regular traffic signals.

So far in my travel, I have come upon one system that has priority at the signal intersections and that was Croyton UK. The T3 has some in Paris. The T lines in Paris, Madrid or Barcelona don't have them as well Milan, Zurich, Geneva and Rome.

In fact, the St Clair ROW out rank the Europe systems I have been on for speed other than Croyton. Once the new cars are on line, St Clair will rank higher than Europe on all levels.

Most Europe systems have a single lane of traffic at intersection with a right hand turn lane in spots.

Stop spacing other than 3 stops, rank up with the Europe system spacing. Only a few have stops space further apart and only in various sections.

As for Keele, time drivers live with it as it will only be good at peak time only if another lane was added.

^The St. Clair line should outrank the European lines for speed. The European trams don't run in a straight line along an arterial road but twist and turn down multiple streets and roadways along a route.

What's important is whether the tram lines are time-competitive with the alternative forms of transportation. A tram is still be faster than a car in Zurich because the car also has to make funny turns along its route, and is restricted by the prohibitive road network of a European historic city, with its pedestrian zones, one way streets and medieval warrens of little streets at funny angles. Whether a 512 streetcar is faster than a car along St. Clair - or whether a Transit City LRT is faster than a car along Sheppard - is another story.

They should implement the transit priority thing, especially since it would benefit those who are driving on St. Clair to get a green light with them.

^The St. Clair line should outrank the European lines for speed. The European trams don't run in a straight line along an arterial road but twist and turn down multiple streets and roadways along a route.

What's important is whether the tram lines are time-competitive with the alternative forms of transportation. A tram is still be faster than a car in Zurich because the car also has to make funny turns along its route, and is restricted by the prohibitive road network of a European historic city, with its pedestrian zones, one way streets and medieval warrens of little streets at funny angles. Whether a 512 streetcar is faster than a car along St. Clair - or whether a Transit City LRT is faster than a car along Sheppard - is another story.

So you're saying we should install chicanes on St. Clair to slow down the cars?

According to the September service changes that Steve Munro posted, they are 2 more streetcars for the AM peak and mid-day, and additional weekend service, next month, to reduce crowding. This is addition to the annual restoration of service that was reduced after school ended in June (2 cars in AM peak, 3 in PM peak). They'd already added 1 car each to AM and PM peak back in February 2012.

Looks like it's a success for streetcar riders!

I

Development is already taking place because of the ROW to the point the land owner/lords are rubbing their hands with joy, as they are making a killing now.

Ya because they are thinking developers will come knocking to build those condos which will be worth more to those landlords than just renting out a place to a business

Back