Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

When stations come out to suburbia, in this case Vaughan, it's all wide open sprawl out to the horizon it seems. Everyone will want to park their automobiles as close to the station as possible, which is not possible. With no wind or weather protection, it will be a safari trip of five to fifteen minutes (most likely fifteen) from the train to the exit. Worse would be the traffic jam when they try to leave the park-n-ride, all at the same time.

^why would they all be leaving at the same time? It's not a GO station....often use the parking lot at Kipling and there is no mass exodus effect...how would this be different?

Will there be any notable bus routes connecting to Highway 407 Station?

Maybe. The Highway 407 GO routes have a fair amount of combined potential. I've seen estimates at the 10k mark for peak hour ridership in 2031 with a very high %age of those transferring to the Spadina line; a little over 1 double-decker bus per minute, so it's manageable.

It's an MTO project which is why it's kinda flying under the radar:
http://www.407transitway.com/kennedyToBrock/projectBackground.html

501 Zum Queen route from Brampton also has substantial growth potential over a 10 year period if some kind of fare cooperation occurs to reduce the TTC hit.

Both were intended to terminate at this subway station and no longer on York University property; this plan may have changed.

So, in the short-term, no, but it could be relatively busy in a decade.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, loooong time lurker on this forum, but I have some pictures I took over the weekend I'd like to share. Flying into YYZ on Monday, I flew just south of the new Highway 407 Station and managed to snap a few pictures before disappearing into the clouds again. Apologies for the potato quality.

Love aerial imagery, particularly of the oblique variety. Whether from drone, hot air balloon, blimp, helicopter, highrise, etc - they're always appreciated. Cheers.

Will there be any notable bus routes connecting to Highway 407 Station?

So many transit plans it's hard to keep track. But the 407 Transitway was listed in the Big Move, and in the 2008 modelling it actually had a fair amount of projected riders. Not sure if the dynamics of recent transit plans (e.g upgrade to RER on Stouffville or Barrie, or the delaying/dropping of other projects) will change that. Or if this "407 Transitway" will even be built. I really haven't heard much about it. So if anyone has info on that project that may have gone under the radar, don't hesitate to post it.

Maybe. The Highway 407 GO routes have a fair amount of combined potential. I've seen estimates at the 10k mark for peak hour ridership in 2031 with a very high %age of those transferring to the Spadina line; a little over 1 double-decker bus per minute, so it's manageable.

501 Zum Queen route from Brampton also has substantial growth potential over a 10 year period if some kind of fare cooperation occurs to reduce the TTC hit.

Both were intended to terminate at this subway station and no longer on York University property; this plan may have changed.

So, in the short-term, no, but it could be relatively busy in a decade.

All the people who complain that Toronto has a mid-late 1900's transit system serving 2016 demand levels/travel patterns, and that we're currently planning expansion to meet 2016 demand levels when we should be planning for 2030/2040 levels, seem to forget that when they see a picture of what that looks like in practice. Yes, 407 is massively oversized/overdesigned/overbuilt for 2016, but it very well might end up being overcrowded by 2030-2040, at which point I guarantee a lot of the people complaining here will, when they use it, say "why the hell did they build this station so damn small?" You can never win.

I thought I had heard elsewhwere that 501 and 501A were going to be going to different stops on the YUS extension. I think that is a mistake but it was the last "plan" I had heard.

Or if this "407 Transitway" will even be built. I really haven't heard much about it. So if anyone has info on that project that may have gone under the radar, don't hesitate to post it.

It's an MTO project, not a GO project. There was a PIC last April for the Scarborough/Durham region section.
http://www.407transitway.com/kennedyToBrock/downloads/PN-7326-LGL_V3-a.pdf

This York Region council document states that the Central chunk from Highway 400 to Kennedy road has a completed and filed EA already. Seems it was approved in Feb 2011.
http://archives.york.ca/councilcommitteearchives/pdf/rpt 2 cls 6 am.pdf
http://www.407transitway.com/400ToKennedy/

Very old (2006) total project overview:
http://lrt.daxack.ca/images/407-Transitway-Implementation.pdf

Last edited:
^why would they all be leaving at the same time? It's not a GO station....often use the parking lot at Kipling and there is no mass exodus effect...how would this be different?

Unless there is some sort of bus terminal, most would be pouring out to their cars and eventually out onto the roads. Shopping or offices would be at Highway 7 (AKA Vaughan Metropolitan Centre), not at Highway 407.

Unless there is some sort of bus terminal, most would be pouring out to their cars and eventually out onto the roads. Shopping or offices would be at Highway 7 (AKA Vaughan Metropolitan Centre), not at Highway 407.
sorry, was not clear, I get that most people using this station will likely go from subway to car.....but it was the "all at the same time" thing I did not get.......subway frequencies should mitigate that, no? (ie. as compared to a typical heavily used suburban GO train station the arrivals are far more disperesed).

I thought I had heard elsewhwere that 501 and 501A were going to be going to different stops on the YUS extension. I think that is a mistake but it was the last "plan" I had heard.
501 is stopping at the VMC VIVA busway station. 501A stopping at 407.

While Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station will have bicycle parking, there will be only bus transfers and passenger pickup and drop-off. Highway 407 Station will have bus transfers, bicycle facilities, passenger pickup and drop-off, and 600 parking spaces.

Back