Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Hey everyone, loooong time lurker on this forum, but I have some pictures I took over the weekend I'd like to share. Flying into YYZ on Monday, I flew just south of the new Highway 407 Station and managed to snap a few pictures before disappearing into the clouds again. Apologies for the potato quality.
BQrDpkR.jpg
RnBP3kW.jpg

These aerial photos show just how much land has to be redeveloped before Vaughan Metropolitan Centre starts to resemble anything close to their ultimate vision. I know that @TJ O'Pootertoot is pretty optimistic about it, but this will take a very long time.

Screen shot 2016-03-02 at 9.30.55 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-03-02 at 9.30.55 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-03-02 at 9.30.55 PM.png
    576.8 KB · Views: 960
These aerial photos show just how much land has to be redeveloped before Vaughan Metropolitan Centre starts to resemble anything close to their ultimate vision. I know that @TJ O'Pootertoot is pretty optimistic about it, but this will take a very long time.

Ha - RELATIVELY optimistic. But it's taken North York Centre about 30 years. VMC has one nice commercial tower and about 5 residential towers in various stages but will it look like that in 2040? Fingers crossed!

(It is worth noting that a lot of the land right along 7 was purposely left vacant. Once SmartCentres, in particular, knew the subway was coming they didn't do anything else with that land south of Walmart. There's certainly potential. If anyone can blow it, Vaughan can but with the growth going on here, even they might not be able to screw up.)

Yorkdale had a "commuter" pay parking (morning) before the re-construction of a east section of the mall started. The private developers could build a pay commuter garage or lot at Vaughan Centre, but that's up to them.

This is the Toronto suburban style subway stations. Just look at Wilson or Downsview station or even stations such as Bayview, Bessarion, Leslie, Don Mills. They are massive and waste a lot of space. These new stations will be empty. The only station that will good usage is York University and maybe Steeled West/Pioneer Village. The other 4 stations will be ghost towns. Wilson got a lot quieter when Downsview opened. Once this extension opens, Downsview will be a ghost town, since it will loose it's most heavy bus route the York Rocket. The new Downsview Park will be a dead station that will surpass the lows of Ellesmere and Bessarion. Maybe it will be as newsworthy as the UPX debacle.

The TTC should sell off the land and close down the huge park and ride and the parking lot it has there and put a neighbourhood there to boost ridership. At least there is land there for developments. The station at 407 is a collossal waste of money to save busses the 5 mins of going into/out of Steeles West station.
^I am not a big fan of station overbuild anywhere, TBH....but building "grand" stations downtown would likely be prohibitive from a cost point of view...land is so much scarcer and, as a result, more expensive.

I guess, in the remoter areas there are two aspects to the "grandness"...stations need to be noticed for people to get/accept/realize (whichever word works) that transit is there...and, I guess, from a creature comfort point of view the need to make transit attractive and "nice" to use is higher.

Still don't like it, but it is no surprise to me that the "grandness" is more to the outskirts than DT.
Too bad Vaughan does not have hurricanes to flatten the station and the subway extension after York

Too bad Vaughan does not have hurricanes to flatten the station and the subway extension after York

Vaughan and it's sprawling build form is flat as a pancake to begin with. A hurricane would have almost nothing to flatten here.

Vaughan and it's sprawling build form is flat as a pancake to begin with. A hurricane would have almost nothing to flatten here.

That's probably less funny to the people in Vaughan whose homes were destroyed by F2 tornadoes a few years ago but it wasn't me or you so, we can all chuckle away.

As for the parking, the plan is to have the major lot at 407 station, IIRC. It's similar to how the Yonge extension proposes a lot at the penultimate stop, while the terminal is in a more urban environment. But, sure, it's possible they will earmark some pay lots around the Walmart or whatever as a short-term measure until development really kicks in.

[The parking garage is] on the sidelot of the wal mart, you can sort of see it in the back of the building in this render: http://i.imgur.com/6bmnwK6.jpg
6bmnwK6.jpg

That's the render for the new YMCA and public library. It's what people in the KPMG tower would see if they were looking out the north windows. On the right edge you see the regional bus terminal (to be built) and in between that terminal and the showcased building, there's a black blob which is actually part of the YMCA building itself; the building plans show half the building having five or six floors and the north half having just two floors. The huge translucent cube on the left edge is non-descript. Perhaps that's what you're referring to as the parking garage?

That's the render for the new YMCA and public library. It's what people in the KPMG tower would see if they were looking out the north windows. On the right edge you see the regional bus terminal (to be built) and in between that terminal and the showcased building, there's a black blob which is actually part of the YMCA building itself; the building plans show half the building having five or six floors and the north half having just two floors. The huge translucent cube on the left edge is non-descript. Perhaps that's what you're referring to as the parking garage?

I reviewed the floor plans and interior renderings of the February 25 document from Vaughan council--a document that lacks elevations or exterior renderings, and found that they are significantly different than the renderings from June 2015, which is where that photo comes from, that innsertnamehere referred to.

So it is difficult to determine what is portrayed in that external rendering, other than the regional bus terminal whose design is pretty well finalized now.

There is no North Arrow on the floor plans, but I assume that the top side is north.

The images prove only two things. There is a plot of land north of the proposed library, and said plot is owned by Calloway REIT.

I will reiterate what I know:
- In all the planning documents I have seen there has never been a plan for a commuter lot at Vaughan, this function was to be done at the 407 station
- Since the land is owned by a private developer I'd assume they would make a larger return by developing a building of some kind. Will this building contain parking? Certainly, but this is no different than a lot in Yorkville, at Yonge/Eglinton, etc and has little to do with serving the commuters at the terminal and more to do with serving users of the building and the surrounding businesses
- Conclusion, I don't think there is any plans to build a parking garage at the area indicated or anywhere in the VMC zone.

Back