News   May 21, 2024
 235     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.3K     5 

TTC solari flip signs

smuncky

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was coming home from the jarvis slip presentation on monday and was suprised to see this olari flip sign have LED's installed. at first it said "TEST" on it and after a few minutes it went all red as you see in the picture.

anyone know what the TTC is up to? will these be implemented with the arrival time of the next train maybe?

DSC05230.jpg

Some of these have had LED displays for as long as I can remember. I wish the TTC would just remove them or cover them up since they seem to serve little purpose. No one seems to actually look at the destination sign or solari sign, they just get told to leave the train at St. Clair West, wait for the next one, and that's that.

Montreal installed new LED signs on all the Direction-Montmorency Orange Line in time for the April 2007 extension and as far as I can see they're yet to be used.

Some of these have had LED displays for as long as I can remember. I wish the TTC would just remove them or cover them up if they don't actually use them.

Well if it said 'Test' then someone behind the scenes is programming them. I guess they might actually be put to use.

It seems very likely that this is for that next train announcements that the TTC said they were going to implement. It makes so much sense. It already says, "next train", but now instead of the direction of travel, it will indicate when the train will arrive. They're interesting artifacts.

"Test" has been shown for year, and I can't see them being planned for next train information. They used to work until a few years ago, showing the destinations for the Spadina-bound YUS trains, to indicate a train headed either for Downsview or St. Clair West. I don't think they work anymore.

They were originally for the six-month "test" of the interlined routes when the B-D opened in 1966. They were later useful for the short turns at Eglinton and St. Clair West (of which only AM St. Clair West short-turns still apply).

sorry to disappoint everyone, but those signs have been saying 'TEST' or a big red box for YEARS, as long as I can remember seeing them. There is no one programming them behind the scenes, they're dead and nothing's going to happen. I suspect the next train arrival will appear on the OneStop network's displays.

I second that, it has been around for years, on and off periodically. Some trains still have the identicoil in them and once and awhile they might be on and trigger the signs.

thx for the info guys. if anyone is curious it was st andrew station.

it's not often that i find myself on the university line, so i don't know for how long these have been operating like this. but it looks like the "test" has been upgraded to "downsview".

DSC09240-1.jpg

lol hey, you should have posted that in the TTC New Technologies thread

I remember seeing those around for years. But didn't some stations upgrade them to a big bulky TV screen now? Well I guess in certain stations. I remember staring at them to read while transiting. Also looked at them for the time. I think many of the old ones don't work cuz they're blank.

Back