News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 434     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

TTC: Should the it join with other transit agencies? Board of trade report says yes

Yeah, it's a strange arrangement. The only separation is an arbitrary line on a map and if you cross it you have to pay an entirely new fare. I've got off the bus at Steeles and walked instead of paying an additional fare, even if it's several KM. This setup will make even less sense when the Spadina extension is operating. If nothing else, I would like to see Metrolinx handle fares for the GTHA region. It's easy enough to track where funds are coming from with Presto if people are inclined to whine about 'fairness' in distribution of those funds.

But you don't have to merge transit agencies or even upload to ML to solve that problem. When I took Brampton Transit to the Rogers Cup no one charged me an extra fare when my bus crossed into Toronto? Same on the trip home, there was no fare to get to Brampton then an additional fare to get home.

If that additional fare is the motivation to merge transit bodies or upload them....we may be chasing mosquitos with sledge hammers.

You used to be able to travel from Hamilton to Oakville on one fare. I'm not sure if this is doable anymore or if any agencies currently honour transfers from each other.

You used to be able to travel from Hamilton to Oakville on one fare. I'm not sure if this is doable anymore or if any agencies currently honour transfers from each other.

At least with Presto, you can, within a two hour window.
Brampton Transit
Burlington Transit
Durham Region Transit
Hamilton Street Railway
MiWay
Oakville Transit
York Region Transit/Viva

If you can do the trip in two hours, without going through Toronto, it is possible on a single fare.
I'm not sure if it's still possible with cash fare...can't find concrete information about that.

Since the movement to Presto and no new transfer when transferring from one system to another, can't do that trip anymore on one fare if your trip takes more than 2 hours.

I've maintained this for a while. I don't know how it could be done but the GTA would be served well with one transit agency.

I envision a core Metrolinx "owning" GO and the subway network. And the rest of the TTC becoming a sub-brand serving the 416 zone. Ditto for Brampton, Mississauga Transit, etc. in their respective cities.

This way each city can decide what level of taxes they want to pay to support local transit and feeder services. And you'll get zoned fares on the subway and GO.

We may then end up with lower fares for short bus or subway rides.

I don't see point a single agency. There is always a limit to the length of a bus route. And most TTC routes near their limit already.

But integrated fares, service, definitely. MT take over TTC 49, 50 for example.

I've maintained this for a while. I don't know how it could be done but the GTA would be served well with one transit agency.

I envision a core Metrolinx "owning" GO and the subway network. And the rest of the TTC becoming a sub-brand serving the 416 zone. Ditto for Brampton, Mississauga Transit, etc. in their respective cities.

This way each city can decide what level of taxes they want to pay to support local transit and feeder services. And you'll get zoned fares on the subway and GO.

We may then end up with lower fares for short bus or subway rides.

I don't see the point of have different fare structure subway vs buses. The strength of TTC is the integration of subway and surface transit.

And why bring all existing system under the one agency if you're gonna add even more different fare systems.

And why have zone fares for subway in the when it only serves Toronto? What happened that TTC brand for 416 zone you mention?

If you want lower fares for short trips just do time-based transfers, which all of the 905 already has.

I am skeptical of a full amalgamation, as it would create an even bigger and less responsive administrative body than the present TTC.

Metrolinx should take initiative to partly integrate the fares (so that taking TTC + a suburban agency's route does not cost a full second fare), and allow all suburban routes to carry passengers within Toronto. If necessary, the province should force the city's hand on those matters. However, full amalgamation is not required.

@doady.

Perhaps not one agency in the unified sense. But one brand for sure.

My idea about the zones is that this allows each municipality to dial up or dial down the level of taxpayer support for local transit.

The rapid transit network could probably sustain itself and if necessary impose a small region wide tax.

As for the integration of buses and subway, no reason that can't happen under a merged agency. I envision even more integration with buses from other agencies. TYSSE will be a great example of this.

But we need zoned fares eventually. We are not maximising revenue or utilisation of the system by penalising short trips with relatively high fares.

What if all TTC/MiWay/BRT/YRT buses had $2 flat fare. And then you're regional networks were zoned with an add-on?

So now my morning commute from Etobicoke to the core would cost $4-5. But my bus ride to the grocery store would cost $2. If I live downtown and ride the subway a few stops, I won't be paying $3.

I even have the option of spending only $2 and riding all the way on buses if I can't afford the subway surcharge. (Within a 2hr time limit).

That's a system that will dramatically reduce car usage in the region. And it's not so far fetched. This is basically what it's like in London, UK.

It's easy (relatively speaking) to implement this. Merge the agencies into a single brand with common fare payment. Let Metrolinx merge the subway network, Viva, Züm, etc. with GO. Create a regional flat fare for the bus services. Create zoned fares for the subway and GO network. Then have each city publish service standards and determine how much taxpayer support they will provide for those service standards.

Cities can even contract out their feeder services to private sector or Metrolinx itself. And Metrolinx can do region wide bus purchaes and manage depots. No need to now have depots for the municipality to be serviced to be located in that municipality.

Once you setup the structure the fare transition will be easy. For example, in the 416, you start with the goal of outer 416 residents paying the same with bus and subway surcharge to get downtown. Over time, keep the bus charge flat and slowly raise the subway surcharge every year.

All this, can and has been done. Nothing new. Just takes political willpower.

Back