News   May 17, 2024
 2.8K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

And what what people that need to travel further east along Finch passed Don Mills?

Exactly, that's the problem with the Finch-Sheppard connection scheme.

If Finch LRT continues east of Yonge and reaches Don Mills, it makes more sense to continue it further east along Finch where the current demand goes. It will then serve Seneca College, dense Finch / Warden cluster, and Finch / McCowan.

Turning it south to Don Mills/Sheppard for the sake of long cross-town trips will remove LRT from all those trip generators, while the said long cross-town trips will not be served well anyway.

check my post.
Metrolinx has stated that bring the Finch line to Don Mills is not a priority, meaning that it's not going to happen. This design may be more palatable to the powers that be since it is cheaper than bringing the line across to Yonge, and the money saved can go towards bringing Sheppard across to Downsview GO/Sheppard East station.

Metrolinx has stated that bring the Finch line to Don Mills is not a priority, meaning that it's not going to happen. This design may be more palatable to the powers that be since it is cheaper than bringing the line across to Yonge, and the money saved can go towards bringing Sheppard across to Downsview GO/Sheppard East station.

It would be more expensive to tunnel from Yonge to Downsview along Sheppard than go surface from Yonge to Keele. ($1.05 billion vs $380 million).

But costing the two different plans from Sheppard & Don Mills to Finch & Keele:

Using the Sheppard Subway (aka the plan I proposed yesterday): $1.25 billion
Using Finch to Don Mills, then down Don Mills: $810 million (although that doesn't include the probably necessary tunnels at Finch and Don Mills Stations)... So say about a billion.

Not that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things, and it would give a single northern crosstown line that doesn't bypass the Sheppard Subway.

Having LRT on Finch go east only to Don Mills is a crazy idea, will create a lot of transfers for anyone going east of there, is worse than the Sheppard LRT proposal.

I think that we should be building BRT instead, this way we can do Sheppard East, Finch West and Finch East all at very low cost. Maybe Steeles East/West, York Mills/Wilson and Lawrence East/West as well.

Having LRT on Finch go east only to Don Mills is a crazy idea, will create a lot of transfers for anyone going east of there, is worse than the Sheppard LRT proposal.

I think that we should be building BRT instead, this way we can do Sheppard East, Finch West and Finch East all at very low cost. Maybe Steeles East/West, York Mills/Wilson and Lawrence East/West as well.

The Finch West LRT is good, but having a full Finch LRT would be better.

I despise these half-baked cockamamie schemes to link up the Finch West and Sheppard East LRTs via a Don Mills LRT. Talk about needlessly complicating things. I thought we were supposed to make transit easier to use, not harder, and certainly not longer!

But then, that's braindead Toronto transit planning at its finest, always looking for the best way to screw up the future.

I guess you get off and take the bus.
Really? People on here complain that the LRT along Sheppard now means people riding that route will need to transfer from one mode (LRT) to another (subway). Thats a big deal with some people, (To me thats being lazy but lets forget that for a moment). Yet its ok if the people going along Finch need to transfer from 1 mode(LRT) to another (bus). Amazing. Everyone wants a one way route for themselves but forget about doing that for others. It goes to show the self interest people have when it comes to transit and its not just councillors.

I'd much rather see a BRT across all of Finch than an LRT on half of Finch West, but we're stuck with what we're stuck with, so might as well find ways to make it work.

I'd much rather see a BRT across all of Finch than an LRT on half of Finch West, but we're stuck with what we're stuck with, so might as well find ways to make it work.

That's the whole point. We shouldn't be STUCK with things. We should be building a NETWORK. But we're quite clearly NOT.

Really? People on here complain that the LRT along Sheppard now means people riding that route will need to transfer from one mode (LRT) to another (subway). Thats a big deal with some people, (To me thats being lazy but lets forget that for a moment). Yet its ok if the people going along Finch need to transfer from 1 mode(LRT) to another (bus). Amazing. Everyone wants a one way route for themselves but forget about doing that for others. It goes to show the self interest people have when it comes to transit and its not just councillors.
I agree. For me, I wish it did not have to come to this.

Then they will wonder why there is no Subway on Sheppard East.

It should have been all

Finch LRT Humber to the Zoo
Malvern LRT
Eglinton Underground
Sheppard ABOVE GROUND Subway.
DRL

That costs a lot though.

I would have done:

Eglinton LRT with a trench or elevated on Eglinton East (Black Creek to Centennial)
DRL from Union to Pape-Danforth
Finch BRT from Humber College to Malvern

Back