News   Apr 26, 2024
 145     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 527     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I originally thumbed this up because I thought they were all newspaper articles. Though the last quote is reliable obviously, I don't think the first one is. The second from TransitToronto is a bit debatable, but still seems more reliable than GetTorontoMoving. I agree that extending the subway was talked about pre-Transit City, but surely there's a way to look up news articles from that point in time?

Also, I don't want to agree with @Forgotten. But this talk of fairness made me think this thread title should perhaps change to simply Scarborough Subway Extension (planned/funded). That's what's on the books, even if many don't agree with it.

Pretty sure it was not, plans for the SRT started before Transit City was announced, and the plans were separate for quite a while, and they did not decide to switch to LRT technology until sometime after. It was not until Fords all underground Eglinton plan that it became interlined,

But when detailed plans for Kennedy station were shown, it did allow for interlining,
I must be missing something because I thought the central portion on Eglinton was always to be underground as it was too narrow for above ground

I must be missing something because I thought the central portion on Eglinton was always to be underground as it was too narrow for above ground

You're not, the central portion was always planned to be underground.

Maybe someone can help me jog my memory. In the original Transit City plan before the kinks were worked out, wasn't the Crosstown and S(L)RT supposed to be interlined?

Nope.

transitcity.gif

The interlining was only proposed during the year-or-so when Ford got the Eglinton Crosstown plan changed to being fully underground.

The central part of Eglinton was always undergound. It's the parts outside of the central part (i.e. east of Laird, Don Mills and Kennedy excepted) that shifted from above ground, to below ground, to above ground again.

Nope.

The interlining was only proposed during the year-or-so when Ford got the Eglinton Crosstown plan changed to being fully underground.

Okay, yeah. There's no date on the map, but I know it's still circa 07. I just thought in TC's infancy Miller/Giambrone presented a proposal for the two lines to be connected (but still built in the exact same manner as two standalone lines). Guess I was wrong. But jeez, is that map awful or what. A $15,000,000,000 transit grand plan shouldn't look like something found on the back of a take-out flyer.

Miller/Giambrone presented a proposal for the two lines to be connected (but still built in the exact same manner as two standalone lines).
When Transit City was first announced in March 2007, it was only 7 lines. There was no mention of the SRT, which was still planned to be modified to use the newer ART equipment as per the August 2006 TTC decision at a cost of $190 million only 6½ months earlier! It was only then that someone had the bright idea of converting the SRT to LRT, and including it in Transit City.

Had they stuck to the original 2006 plan, we'd have had an 8-month SRT shutdown sometime last decade, and it would have been in service now for years, and we'd simply be debating the cost to extend it to Sheppard and Malvern Centre.

The central part of Eglinton was always undergound. It's the parts outside of the central part (i.e. east of Laird, Don Mills and Kennedy excepted) that shifted from above ground, to below ground, to above ground again.

I vaguely remember that the Eglinton Crosstown LRT (at-grade between Don Mills and Kennedy) was proposed to interlined with the SRT, but that option was dropped because ridership demands would be too high.

The Metrolinx Big Move plan, when originally published and approved in 2008, said "Upgrade and extension of the Scarborough Rapid Transit line".
TTC was talking about the Scarborough RT instead being LRT before that. They'd rolled it into Transit City by then.

I vaguely remember that the Eglinton Crosstown LRT (at-grade between Don Mills and Kennedy) was proposed to interlined with the SRT, but that option was dropped because ridership demands would be too high.
From the point it became LRT, it was always going to have a connecting track. But it didn't become the same line, until the Rob Ford mayoralty proposal run the Eglinton line underground under Eglinton East to Kennedy and keep going up the SRT alignment to Sheppard.

Well if the ever so thoughtful Politicians had funded a fairly integrated quality for all of Scarborough we wouldn't be discussing this drivel over Subways. Since nothing useful is offered & outsiders are too blind to see or care to see that. Subways it is.
Scarborough was going to get a line on sheppard, a RT conversion and a eglinton line. I dont know how that seems unfair. If you live in woodbine or rexdale then I can see the frustration but three lines seems like quite a bit. I will agree that they should have made Eglinton connect with the RT line and Sheppard be fully LRT but I do think given enough time sheppard subway would see a conversion, people just need to see how well Eglinton crosstown works. I have yet to see a Coffey1 map of what you would like so your comments are about the same as Mr Fords, Subway Subway Subway mantra. Plus we would need to see how to fund this. I think there are all sorts of people left out. If I lived on Jane and I was expecting a LRT I would feel left out. If i lived between Keele West Subway station and Finch station on Finch I would feel left out. But hey scarborough is apparently the only place which matters and "deserves" to have a subway. Thank God I moved away from that part of town. I don't know whats worse, its transit or its residents whom cry "poor me."

Last edited:

Back