News   Apr 25, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 987     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

It's really nice to see this gaining momentum. Perhaps we should soon start pushing the idea to individual Councillors soon? I'd expect Matlow and a few Scarborough Councillors that have expressed skepticism about the Line 2 extension to be receptive to the idea.

It's really nice to see this gaining momentum. Perhaps we should soon start pushing the idea to individual Councillors soon? I'd expect Matlow and a few Scarborough Councillors that have expressed skepticism about the Line 2 extension to be receptive to the idea.

That's a good idea. I suspect the ones who would be most receptive are ones who grudgingly supported the subway plan, or ones who supported the LRT plan but expressed reservations about it. Anyone who's firmly in one camp or the other is unlikely to be swayed.

Ontario, Ottawa at odds over funding for Scarborough subway
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...nding-for-scarborough-subway/article24972350/

"The federal government is rejecting calls to classify a proposed subway extension in Toronto’s east end as a national infrastructure project, a decision that Ontario says will squeeze out other important spending on the province’s wish list"

I hope the Liberals will stop posturing in time to get funding. They want to help their federal party in the election but it's going to hurt Ontario's chances at funding.

There is $10 billion of funding going to provincial priorities (on a per capital basis). So over $3 billion to Ontario. The Scarborough subway or LRT are perfect for this funding.

It's absurd that they want to classify this funding as a "national" project. Pure politics.

They should be identifying projects that will actually fit into this funding mechanism to get their share. They can look at expanding rail infrastructure that will also help intra-provincial trains (i.e. Lakeshore East), additional transit connections to Pearson (Eglington or Finch LRT extensions) or road upgrades near border town.

Steve Munro made a good point about this on Twitter this morning. How do regional GO improvements qualify as a 'provincial' project under this fund, but a few kilometres of subway in Scarborough qualify as a 'national' project? To imagine that it would is delusional, at best, looking at things relative.

Anybody who thinks that Ottawa will provide Ontario with transit money raised in Fredericton or Swift Current is fooling themselves. Ontario's share of the fund - no matter whatever you classify a project as - will at best total whatever share of the required revenue came from Ontario.

Personally I think that Federal funds of this sort ought not to exist, for this very reason. We are fighting to keep our share of our own money, and we are supposed to be endeared to the ruling party when it is returned to us. it's a very silly game, nothing more.

Having said that, Queens Park should be fighting vociferously so that the money that originated in Ontario doesn't get allocated to any other Province.

- Paul

Anybody who thinks that Ottawa will provide Ontario with transit money raised in Fredericton or Swift Current is fooling themselves. Ontario's share of the fund - no matter whatever you classify a project as - will at best total whatever share of the required revenue came from Ontario.

Personally I think that Federal funds of this sort ought not to exist, for this very reason. We are fighting to keep our share of our own money, and we are supposed to be endeared to the ruling party when it is returned to us. it's a very silly game, nothing more.

Having said that, Queens Park should be fighting vociferously so that the money that originated in Ontario doesn't get allocated to any other Province.

- Paul

Except that the so called "national" portion could very well be divved up in a way that is likely not favourable to Ontario. We aren't talking about the total 14B being divved up roughly pro rata - we are talking about 10B spread out that way, and then the remaining 4B to whatever.

AoD

It's absurd that they want to classify this funding as a "national" project. Pure politics.

Back 7 years ago in a Building Canada fund, the federal government specifically wanted projects with a high construction component which would create local Canadian jobs. Toronto chose to apply for streetcars - which could have been bid offshore. I believe their proposal was turned down because it did not meet the funding program requirements.

Back 7 years ago in a Building Canada fund, the federal government specifically wanted projects with a high construction component which would create local Canadian jobs. Toronto chose to apply for streetcars - which could have been bid offshore. I believe their proposal was turned down because it did not meet the funding program requirements.

That's revisionist - it was going to Bombardier at that point:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/06/09/baird_to_miller_im_sorry.html

AoD

Except that the so called "national" portion could very well be divved up in a way that is likely not favourable to Ontario. We aren't talking about the total 14B being divved up roughly pro rata - we are talking about 10B spread out that way, and then the remaining 4B to whatever.

AoD

When I was saying they are trying to be political I was referring to the $4 billion fund. I hope the Liberals haven't put all their eggs in one basket and are using the $4 billion as a political football instead of trying to get a large share of it.

Across Canada I can see funding requests for widening or bridges on the Trans Canada Highway, initial funding for the Mackenzie Valley Road in the north, airports, etc. What should Ontario be asking for ("national" projects only)?

Ontario, Ottawa at odds over funding for Scarborough subway
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...nding-for-scarborough-subway/article24972350/

"The federal government is rejecting calls to classify a proposed subway extension in Toronto’s east end as a national infrastructure project, a decision that Ontario says will squeeze out other important spending on the province’s wish list"

Dear Scarborough,

We don't want your transit squabbles to become our problem too. Please go away.

Sincerely,
The rest of Canada

Even the iconic PCC streetcars weren't "built" in Canada. They were built in the United States and assembled in Canada. From link:

PCC cars for Canadian cities were assembled in Montreal, Quebec by Canadian Car and Foundry from bodies and trucks supplied by St. Louis Car.

Canadian Car and Foundry is now Bombardier Transportation Canada.

Back