News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 609     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 294     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I actually think we will get one or the other not both. If we get a hybrid gardiner we will revert to either lrt or smart track.. If we get a boulevard then we will get a subway.

I am taking it! Gimme Boulevard instead of elevated Gardiner, and keep Scarborough subway on track :)

That combination is optimal for the future of Toronto's transit.

Boulevard (tight auto capacity) is positive for downtown transit capacity additions. SSE (funded by a targeted surtax) will set a precedent for funding transit in future.

Last edited:
Ya because if they cancel scarborough subway, that will be the downfall of the Liberals!. Gas scandals, e-health, email deletions did not bring the Liberals down

Not sure about downfall (i.e. loss of majority, or even plurality). But they will lose all their Scarborough seats to PCs if the subway is cancelled.

Of course, Scarborough seats are not the whole Ontario, but they might tip the balance in an otherwise tight race.

Then, who will?

It looks like Liberals were very anxious to keep Scarborough seats during the latest election cycles. Those are not safe seats for them.
Just because the Liberals are paranoid doesn't mean that they may lose the seats. Plus the liberals just need to act like they did their best to try and get a subway and claim that their hands were tied when it all fell through. People have short memories.

Ya because if they cancel scarborough subway, that will be the downfall of the Liberals!. Gas scandals, e-health, email deletions did not bring the Liberals down

And who could possibly replace the Liberals at this point?

I didn't say it would be the downfall of the Liberals. I said it could happen. An asteroid could also smash into earth tomorrow.

I actually think we will get one or the other not both. If we get a hybrid gardiner we will revert to either lrt or smart track.. If we get a boulevard then we will get a subway.

I am taking it! Gimme Boulevard instead of elevated Gardiner, and keep Scarborough subway on track :)

That combination is optimal for the future of Toronto's transit.

Boulevard (tight auto capacity) is positive for downtown transit capacity additions. SSE (funded by a targeted surtax) will set a precedent for funding transit in future.

Not sure about downfall (i.e. loss of majority, or even plurality). But they will lose all their Scarborough seats to PCs if the subway is cancelled.

Of course, Scarborough seats are not the whole Ontario, but they might tip the balance in an otherwise tight race.

The PCs will not get Scarborough seats.

Then, who will?

It looks like Liberals were very anxious to keep Scarborough seats during the latest election cycles. Those are not safe seats for them.
The Liberals will still win the next election even if they canceled the project. The PCs are a mess and many urban voters are still furious with Horwath, although she'll be gone next time. The Liberals were concered with keep their majority in, not necessarily Scarborough in particular.

PS: Rainforest, my apologies once again. I never meant to come off as overly aggressive. Forgive me :)

Great write-ups. :)

Gweed explained the SmartTrack spur very eloquently.

Sigh, fine....

Seriously though, what can we do to get the articles traction on social media? Any twitter-birds among us?

Unfortunately the Gardiner debate is dominating Toronto politics at the moment.

I've tweeted it from my personal account, but I will admit my following is pretty limited. If anybody with a greater following wants to tweet it out, it'll probably reach more people that way. And yes, the Gardiner East vote is definitely dominating the discussion right now.

The Liberals will still win the next election even if they canceled the project. The PCs are a mess and many urban voters are still furious with Horwath, although she'll be gone next time. The Liberals were concered with keep their majority in, not necessarily Scarborough in particular.
But we all know the Liberals only won their last election during their campaign. They were mostly trailing right before the election call. It just means the NDP and PC can still have a chance of making the Liberals crash and burn in 2018 if they tell the right lies.

But we all know the Liberals only won their last election during their campaign. They were mostly trailing right before the election call. It just means the NDP and PC can still have a chance of making the Liberals crash and burn in 2018 if they tell the right lies.

Of course, but I really think the Liberals still have this. Patrick Brown will be a turn off to women imo, he's too extreme. The NDP has lost its way.

Just thought it might be of interest to see what Portland, OR got for $1.5B USD.....a 7.3 mile LRT line. Watch especially how it transitions into the downtown, on-street operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS-nc9GjVsc&feature=youtu.be

Does this really make you prefer a subway extension for Line 2?

- Paul

Portland's line is not even remotely comparable to the situation in Scarborough. They say that Portland's line will travel from the terminus to downtown in 17 min.

From Scarborough to Toronto Downtown, even a RER train would take longer than 17 min unless it is an express train. Subway or LRT or any combination of those will take a lot longer.

Toronto has 5 times the population of Portland (2,5 million vs 620 thousand), and almost 2 times the area (630 sq. km vs 380).

Last edited:

Back