News   Apr 26, 2024
 382     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 578     0 

TTC Ridership Growth Strategy

299 bloor call control.

Member Bio
Reaction score
Beginning on November 23, 2008, service on TTC's service routes will increase substantially, with over 8500 hours of additional service weekly. Among the changes:

• New service periods will be added to 86 routes to provide all-day service
  • Service will be added to existing all-day routes so that service runs 30 minutes or better at all times of the day
  • The peak loading standard will be improved by 10%, subsequently increasing peak service on 62 routes
This is going to be a huge improvement of service to the vast majority of Toronto. Also of note, the Mount Dennis Garage will begin operation on Nov. 23rd as well.

This is amazing news!

hmm the only thing is though I could swear some better planning on some routes would improve service without adding one more bus.

Any bus drivers out there on this forum?

Please explain why the 36 (Finch west) consistently, and it's been getting worse and worse, buses can't seem to traval alone but need to travel in a pack of 3!!! even on the weekend.

If we can only improve this and have them more spread out won't that take care of many of the problems?

btw, where did you get this information from I can't seem to find it anywhere. When will the details i.e. exact routes being effected be released?

Beginning on November 23, 2008, service on TTC's service routes will increase substantially, with over 8500 hours of additional service weekly. Among the changes:

• New service periods will be added to 86 routes to provide all-day service
  • Service will be added to existing all-day routes so that service runs 30 minutes or better at all times of the day
  • The peak loading standard will be improved by 10%, subsequently increasing peak service on 62 routes
This is going to be a huge improvement of service to the vast majority of Toronto. Also of note, the Mount Dennis Garage will begin operation on Nov. 23rd as well.

The TTC generally releases full details of service changes the week prior to the change. With this type of change, I expect there will probably be a major marketing push as well come mid November.

Basically, don't worry about the list. Service is improving across the board.

If the TTC posts that. Last time they had big improvements, they failed to tell anyone in advance about changes so they could have a big media splash. I was very critical about this (going as far as posting it on Spacing), and this is one of the things that Steve Munro and I both agreed on. The TTC can't even put up the service summary on the site, something that Munro had to host so there was public access to it.

At one time, there were "Headlight" postings on every bus and streetcar showing new services or changes. The current "Event Listing" doesn't show any changes. In addition, there were postings at each car or bus stops showing the changes to that route.
Now they may print them in the newspaper, if you hunt for them.

Interesting that the TTC is increasing service while MT is decreasing service.

^ MT has a Ridership Growth Strategy of it own, and yes overall service is increasing, even if certain routes are being cut.

Back in 2003, there was a report, see link, called...
Ridership Growth Strategy

It outlined what actions were needed to improve transit in Toronto, the need for stable funding, and investments needed to increase ridership. There was an update to the strategy, in 2006, at this link. We definitely need an update after years of absence.

Why? Rob Ford and clique had put a stop to that strategy. John Tory has not followed that report, especially when it comes to "stable funding".

We need another look at that report, and produce a "version two". Some parts needs updating, dropping, or additions.

Start by reading the Ridership Growth Strategy and the Status Update.

Back