News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

TTC: Redesigning TTC Signage

Actually thought of another thing that's bothering me. They are supposed to use the new ISO exit signs in all new construction as required by the Ontario building code, why do they have the old red "EXIT" signs in the Union reno?

Just a guess but it might only apply to building permits issued after the effective date of the updated Code. Union reno would predate the Code update.

They have a long way to go yet, although I was fairly pleased with the new signs at Union. There are still inconsistencies between signs and far too much text and unnecessary icons, but they're getting there.
I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm not completely sold on calling the two sides of the #1 Line the Yonge Line and the University-Spadina Line at Union. It's basically too repetitive. It's like saying the #1 Line's Yonge Line. The two sides should be referred to as "branches" which is actually a more normal international standard. So you'd have the #1 Line, Yonge Branch and the #1 Line University-Spadina (or possibly rename it St. George) branch.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: I admit, these aren't genuine branches, like a Northern Line in London, so perhaps "arms" are better. Or maybe I'm just way over-thinking this.

Last edited:
I like the idea of labelling the GO lines the same way, but with a letter inside the circle instead.

I like the idea of labelling the GO lines the same way, but with a letter inside the circle instead.
Like how they used to do it?

49397_1.jpg

As GO moved away from that, I guess they didn't like it.

But they don't have the signage issues that TTC has. There's no place I'd think such signs are necessary - except Union ... and that changes by the minute.

Just a guess but it might only apply to building permits issued after the effective date of the updated Code. Union reno would predate the Code update.

I had this situation with a fit-up project that I was working on. The standards that apply depend on when the building permit was issued. We were doing 2 floors in the same building, with the building permits issued a month apart (the one floor got started a little bit later). The fire code standards changed between the two floors, so the one floor only required bilingual exit signage, while the other required the "running man" signage. We decided to do the running man on both floors just for consistency, but it legally wasn't required.

I guess it depends on how Metrolinx plans on routing the GO lines when electrification is in full effect; will they keep the same lines? Will they join east-west lines together (e.g. Stouffville & Milton lines become joined)? Then it becomes an issue of whether the TTC and other transit agencies will follow the same "standard" of signage by including other agency routes on their signage (e.g. Barrie Line E will appear on signage at Downsview Park station).

Like how they used to do it?

As GO moved away from that, I guess they didn't like it.

But they don't have the signage issues that TTC has. There's no place I'd think such signs are necessary - except Union ... and that changes by the minute.

When there starts to be greater integration between the TTC and GO, I think it will be more than just Union where having a similar numbering scheme would be beneficial. Dundas West would be a great example, where the signage would be (2)(D)(X) <-UPX. Instantly shows every line that's at that station.

When there starts to be greater integration between the TTC and GO, I think it will be more than just Union where having a similar numbering scheme would be beneficial. Dundas West would be a great example, where the signage would be (2)(D)(X) <-UPX. Instantly shows every line that's at that station.
If it got to the point that Dundas West had dedicated different tracks with different GO lines on it. Yes, I agree.

Until that point - a simple GO symbol suffices. There's no point in making the signage and system any more complex than necessary - despite our passions.

If it got to the point that Dundas West had dedicated different tracks with different GO lines on it. Yes, I agree.

Until that point - a simple GO symbol suffices. There's no point in making the signage and system any more complex than necessary - despite our passions.

But see here's the thing: to a lot of Torontonians now the GO system is just this monolithic singular entity that very few people in Toronto use, so having the label "GO" is sufficient (since most people just ignore that the connection even exists). But when the systems get more integrated and people in Toronto actually start to use GO for the daily commutes, or as a legitimate bypass option to the subway system, then having the lines labelled individually would make sense.

It would still be easy to determine what was TTC and what was GO using the simple distinction that TTC is numbers and GO is letters, but it would provide a greater level of detail for those who need it.

But see here's the thing: to a lot of Torontonians now the GO system is just this monolithic singular entity that very few people in Toronto use, so having the label "GO" is sufficient (since most people just ignore that the connection even exists). But when the systems get more integrated and people in Toronto actually start to use GO for the daily commutes, or as a legitimate bypass option to the subway system, then having the lines labelled individually would make sense.

It would still be easy to determine what was TTC and what was GO using the simple distinction that TTC is numbers and GO is letters, but it would provide a greater level of detail for those who need it.
The letters add nothing, and only serve to confuse. If we need identifying and branding, the line names work fine. We don't need to create a system, for the sake of creating a system. It adds nothing to direction-finding.

Disagree, here are some icons I made a while back. I think the current pictogram GO is using for their trains is better than mine though, I hadn't seen it at the time I made these.

9YCD3oH.png

What happens when Rob Ford's SmartTrack starts operations? Do we change all of the GO train symbols just because the new trains use wires? But people might confuse those with the streetcar graphic! What about places still using diesel by necessity? We better keep both on the signs to prevent confusion! But wait! What about the airport train? Those look different too. We need that too!

Come on, let's get real. We can't go around wasting taxpayer money on crap that doesn't matter just to please a few anal retentive train hobbyists who think the graphic is "misleading" because it doesn't look exactly 100% like the real train.

The letters add nothing, and only serve to confuse. If we need identifying and branding, the line names work fine. We don't need to create a system, for the sake of creating a system. It adds nothing to direction-finding.

I can't agree with you. Having a mixed naming system makes no sense. I feel it would only serve to confuse customers to have some lines numbered and others without numbers/letters

Back