1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 914     1 

TTC: Redesigning TTC Signage

Montreal are trying something new now

20120110-203017-g.jpg

I like it. Its a very simple design. The one problem is that the sign is white so that it will get dirtier a little faster.

This needs to die! Its a horrible font to be used on signs. But it should still be used for the station name on platform walls.

I'm pretty sure that is all it is used for now. It is on the Sheppard subway platform walls but not on any other signs in the line's stations that I can think of. It is used for the St. Clair platforms, but in an equally ceremonial way. Everywhere ele it is gradually being removed.

If anything is to change with this font, they need to replace the Spadina line station platform walls with this font, rather than the weird font they use now with lowercase letters.

Last edited:
I always laughed at the "To Yonge Trains and Sheppard Subway" sign. I find that 'poor signage' is an issue all over this city. For instance, we need better signage to let driver's know how to get around 'jogs' such as Dufferin Street near Downsview Park or where Allen Road ends and Dufferin Street begins.

Last edited:
The TTC needs to throw out the old design(s) and come up with something brand new. And yes, that does mean that our beloved TTC font should be replaced with something more modern and accessible.

TTCfont_A-K.jpg

This needs to die! Its a horrible font to be used on signs. But it should still be used for the station name on platform walls.

How fatally horrible is it?? I reckon that Joe Clark would have more issues with its potential self-conscious "it's TTC heritage, maaan" misuse these days than with its original application (and yes, that includes more than just platform walls).

At that point, you might as well be proposing the ultimate sacrilege: ditching the TTC logo...

How fatally horrible is it?? I reckon that Joe Clark would have more issues with its potential self-conscious "it's TTC heritage, maaan" misuse these days than with its original application (and yes, that includes more than just platform walls).

At that point, you might as well be proposing the ultimate sacrilege: ditching the TTC logo...

The TTC logo is great. But there are better fonts then this.

Here are some examples I made of what I think the new TTC sinage design should be. These signs would be used on the exterior of every subway/LRT station to identify it. I personally think that this is much better then the TTC's current "system". This is just the first version so there are still a few issues:

-The purple for the Sheppard line is a little too dark. It makes seeing the "C" at distances a little difficult
-I haven't added the TTC logo
-I haven't added subway/LRT pictograms

Feel free to point out any other issues.

I've renamed the Subway/LRT names to the following:

YUS: Route A
Bloor-Danforth: Rote B
Sheppard: Route C

Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown LRT: Route 1
Finch LRT: Route 2

69hqfd.png

v8gf9j.png

35cj0go.png

282nmgo.png

m9y5cg.jpg

33zbm7r.png

1z6wh28.png

maxu0g.png

Last edited:
The TTC has a laundry list of customer service issues. But one of the biggest one of them is the horrible lack of uniformity and the extremely confusing nature of the TTCs signs. I often find myself confused about where to go; and I consider myself to be somewhat of a Toronto transit expert.

I personally think that it is about time that the TTC replace every single one of their signs with ones that are more modern and less confusing.

I could keep posting more, but I think that I've made my point clear. The TTC needs to replace EVERY sign on the system with new ones with brand new design. I personally think that the TTC should adopt the design that the Eaton Centre uses to direct its customers to Dundas and Queen stations (I don't have any photos of this. I'll take a photo and post it next time I vist the Eaton Centre).

I agree with all you say, a good design needs uniformity and consistency across the whole system.
It's impossible to achieve this if all and everyone improvise their own little sign here and there.
The point is not so much to look nice, as it is to be instantly recognizable and informative.

Also, all uppercase names or signs should never be used, ever.
It has been demonstrated many times that all uppercase words are harder to read.

"Osgoode Station on Yonge-University-Spadina Line is Closed"
is easier to read than
"OSGOODE STATION ON YONGE-UNIVERSITY-SPADINA LINE IS CLOSED"
(even more so with a bigger font than this one).

Last edited:
Here are some examples I made of what I think the new TTC sinage design should be. These signs would be used on the exterior of every subway/LRT station to identify it. I personally think that this is much better then the TTC's current "system". This is just the first version so there are still a few issues:

-The purple for the Sheppard line is a little too dark. It makes seeing the "C" at distances a little difficult
-I haven't added the TTC logo
-I haven't added subway/LRT pictograms

Feel free to point out any other issues.

I've renamed the Subway/LRT names to the following:

YUS: Route A
Bloor-Danforth: Rote B
Sheppard: Route C

Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown LRT: Route 1
Finch LRT: Route 2

69hqfd.png

v8gf9j.png

35cj0go.png

282nmgo.png

m9y5cg.jpg

33zbm7r.png

1z6wh28.png

maxu0g.png

Here are some more sign designs. These would be used inside of stations to point customers in the right direction.

e0fodw.jpg

Turn right to access elevator to centre platform on Route A.

2zqv2xl.png

Ahead to elevator to northbound platform on Route A

3u9zb.png

Ahead to 109 Ranne Bus

xqgjmc.png

Ahead to 59 Maple Leaf Bus

msp3td.png

You are at the 52 Lawrence West Bus

6dst4z.png

Turn left and go up stairs to go to all busses

2u6pqmf.png

Turn left and go up stairs to exit to Spadina Ave

iqhlib.png

Ahead to eastbound platform on Route 1

hreiqs.png

Left to southbound platform on Route A

2e6db8h.png

Right to northbound platform on Route A

2llm0pw.png

Left to westbound platform on Route B

20p1zt4.png

Right to eastbound platform Route B

4q1qav.png

Downstairs to routes A and C. This would replace this sign:

sheppard-yonge-subway-station-sign.jpg

I've changed my mind about the "TTC Font". If implemented correctly, it can work well.

I really like my design. Its modern and the font uniquely Torontonian. Nowhere in the world will you find this font being used. Its also great for people with limited vision or who can't read english. No matter where you are, yellow on the right side of the sign always means YUS. Green on the right always means Bloor-Danforth. Red on the left always means exit, and pictograms (of escalators, elevators etc..) will always be on the left.You will no longer need to be literate, or have 20/20 vision to navigate around the system anymore. The changes in the route names will make it far easier for people who have great vision and are literate to navigate. YUS now just becomes "the yellow line" or "the A line" etc... Its far simpler then saying "Yonge-University-Spadina". Does anyone have any thoughts on the design and how it compares to the one currently being used?

Last edited:
I know that. The design looks much better without the watermark. But I didn't want somebody to copy/paste it and pass it off for their own work. What do you think of the design? Just ignore the watermark.

On your first post in this thread you posted a whole bunch of pictures that you borrowed from someone else but you are concerned that this effort of typing words and numbers on different colours of background could be plagiarized? Where do you stand on creative commons? Should you even be showing us this work of yours? Someone might take the TTC font and type on a background as well and your plan to make untold millions on TTC signage will be ruined.

On your first post in this thread you posted a whole bunch of pictures that you borrowed from someone else but you are concerned that this effort of typing words and numbers on different colours of background could be plagiarized? Where do you stand on creative commons? Should you even be showing us this work of yours? Someone might take the TTC font and type on a background as well and your plan to make untold millions on TTC signage will be ruined.

I honestly don't know if you're trolling or if you're just plain ignorant. I'm praying that you're a troll. First of all, I never claimed that I took those photos. All I did was link to them and embedded them in the forum. If you wanted to know where those images came from, all you had to do was right click on the image, select copy image URL, and paste the link into your browser. The original website would then appear. If I wanted to plagiarize I would have copied the images to my computer, watermarked them, upload them to UT and I would have claimed that I took all those images myself.

With your crazy logic websites like Google images could never work, no one could ever embed a video from YouTube on their website and 95% of the images on this website would be "plagiarized" What I did was the photo equivalent of a YouTube embed. And I don't have some super secret plan to make millions off of some signs (though I wouldn't complain if that happened). All I was doing was contributing my own ideas to the discussion.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any thoughts on the design and how it compares to the one currently being used?

Generallly, I say it looks quite nice.

Could the following letters be used for the subway lines:

V or Y: Yonge-University-Spadina-Vaughan line (its general shape on the map).
B or BD or C: B since both ends go to Bloor, or the double letter for Bloor-Danforth, or C for Crosstown (need to call the other one just Eglinton-Scarborough).
S or N: S for Sheppard or N for Northern Crosstown (in case it goes to STC).
J or U: future DRL depending on how far each leg is extended (again, the shape on the map)
M: for Midtown (in case Ford gets a subway under Eglinton.
(I won't suggest a letter for Finch West subway (sorry Mammoliti).

I never was a huge fan of the green for the B-D since green could be reserved for GO trains - that would be shown on an integrated map in the future. However, the B-D has been green for quite a while so maybe it is already ingrained in everyone that this line is green. Could we switch the shade of green - either GO or B-D being light green and the other dark. Since Green is the corporate colours for GO, TTC would have to switch.

The Sheppard subway has not been around long enough that its colour must stay. If another shade or colour has better visual properties, it would be worth the switch.

I like the single digit numbers for the LRT lines. Do you have enough colours for when the entire LRT network is built, or is some sharing required?

Would St. Clair or Spadina be renamed as one of the LRT lines since it is a dedicated ROW? :)

Would the pictogram for subways, LRT, streetcars and busses be different enough (mostly the middle 2)?

Northbound, Southbound, etc. seems to be quite a long word. Has this been shortened anywhere else. "NB" or "SB" for northbound or southbound is probably not readily understood. Could you show a compas with the direction highlighted and the letter beside it?

I hope I do not come off as overly critical - I really think you did a good job.

Back