News   May 01, 2024
 180     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 290     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.4K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Documents shed light on probe into TTC CEO Rick Leary​

Documents obtained by the Star reveal the scope of the five-month-old probe into the TTC CEO.
April 11, 2024
The workplace investigation into TTC CEO Rick Leary that has dragged on for more than five months includes allegations he violated employees’ human rights and tried to land jobs for his friends, among other claims, the Star has learned.

The TTC board has not shared any information about the investigation — which it called for at an October closed-door meeting and which two sources told the Star is expected to cost around $250,000 — leaving the public, board members, TTC employees — and Leary himself — in the dark about its progress.

Nothing there that we didn't really know.............. just rightly asks, why is this investigation ongoing after 5 full months w/no resolution one way or the other in sight.

As poorly as Leary is known to behave............

So far as I'm concerned, the grounds for firing him for cause are:

1) A near collision of 2 TTC Trains that he didn't bother reporting to the Board in real time.

2) A derailment of the SRT that certainly appears to be the result, in whole or in part of shoddy maintenance under his watch.

The above being reflective of his less than stellar record in Boston as well, which I would argue ought to have disqualified him from the TTC job in the first place.

Last edited:
To:You
Thu 2024-04-11 10:09 AM

Statement from TTC CEO Rick Leary on CUPE Local 2 strike notice

Apr. 11, 2024

The TTC and CUPE Local 2 (electrical skilled trades) have been working to reach a fair negotiated collective agreement. Employees in this group include streetcar overhead and subway signal maintainers, among others.

Although negotiations are ongoing, Local 2 has advised that its members will begin strike action on Mon., Apr. 22, should an agreement not be reached. Both Local 2 and TTC representatives remain at the bargaining table with the intention of reaching a negotiated settlement without the need for job action.

Last November, the TTC Board approved a bargaining mandate. We are committed to reaching an agreement that is fair to Local 2 employees while being affordable for the taxpayers of Toronto.

I am committed to keeping our customers and employees apprised of any changes related to these negotiations in a timely manner. We encourage all our employees and our customers to check our website for the most current updates.

In the meantime, we will continue to negotiate in good faith with the ultimate goal being an agreement that avoids job action and service disruptions.

To:You
Thu 2024-04-11 10:09 AM

Statement from TTC CEO Rick Leary on CUPE Local 2 strike notice

Apr. 11, 2024

The TTC and CUPE Local 2 (electrical skilled trades) have been working to reach a fair negotiated collective agreement. Employees in this group include streetcar overhead and subway signal maintainers, among others.

Although negotiations are ongoing, Local 2 has advised that its members will begin strike action on Mon., Apr. 22, should an agreement not be reached. Both Local 2 and TTC representatives remain at the bargaining table with the intention of reaching a negotiated settlement without the need for job action.

Last November, the TTC Board approved a bargaining mandate. We are committed to reaching an agreement that is fair to Local 2 employees while being affordable for the taxpayers of Toronto.

I am committed to keeping our customers and employees apprised of any changes related to these negotiations in a timely manner. We encourage all our employees and our customers to check our website for the most current updates.

In the meantime, we will continue to negotiate in good faith with the ultimate goal being an agreement that avoids job action and service disruptions.

I wonder when ATU 113 will be negotiating their contract.

I fully expect frontline staff to walk off the job at the next opportunity.

If the AG takes this on and if this report is like the VERY negative one on the streetcar overhead, it would seem to be the end for Mr Leary.

Nothing there that we didn't really know.............. just rightly asks, why is this investigation ongoing after 5 full months w/no resolution one way or the other in sight.

1) A near collision of 2 TTC Trains that he didn't bother reporting to the Board in real time.

2) A derailment of the SRT that certainly appears to be the result, in whole or in part of shoddy maintenance under his watch.

The above being reflective of his less than stellar record in Boston as well, which I would argue ought to have disqualified him from the TTC job in the first place.
Even if we didn't fire/terminate... more infuriating: got an 8 percent raise in '22 and almost 19 percent in '23...received about 200k more since covid (2020 - now making over 560k) which is in itself a comfortable salary for an individual.
Source

What message are we sending when people are struggling to get inflationary raises or arguably affordable wages, yet those at the top are several times that when they already have a comfortable living salary for arguably poor performance? I'm not familiar with how the pay is arrived at, but there seems to be a complete disconnect between organizational performance and executive bottom line (not unique to the ttc, but we can at least hold their feet to the fire moreso).

I thought executives pay was high because of the risky nature of their role... In other words higher risk for negative consequences...

You could also add the recent and damning report on the management of the streetcar overhead by the City's Auditor General - the findings of general sloppiness seem to be VERY similar to the SRT fiasco.

Let me bring the picture forward first:

1713035870259.png

Now I need to ask for @smallspy 's insight; given the extent of the vandalism, I assume this had to occur when the train was out of service; it appears, based on the platform edge markers that this occurred in Kipling Station.

This, in turn, begs the question, is the TTC storing trains overnight, on the platforms? I know they've used the tail tracks in the past, but I wasn't aware they were parking them in-station.

Also, do we know if someone 'broke' into Kipling Station; was locked in overnight, or entered via the tracks?

Terrible; and real $$ to remedy. I hope there is camera footage and they are able to make an arrest or arrests.

But I also want to understand how this happened.

Back