News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.9K     10 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

He can do this because the politicians refuse to fund platform doors. There is money for highways however, because the politicians use their luxury SUVs on them and don't use public transit.
I don't think doors would make a difference. He'd just be harassing people on the actual train or the platform like you seen in several other videos. I'm sure as hell though he doesn't have a presto card.

Platform doors are expensive to retrofit in old lines. The newer lines they should je standard. The new Ontario line will have them and the new REM in Montreal will as well.

Right but what’s the cost to do the whole Line 1 or 2? Each is about 30 stations so at 30 each station that would be 800-900M a line. A huge investment to make.

The problem seems to be that each sliding door costs the same amount of money to build as a suburban house or a two-bedroom condo despite containing a small fraction of the material. I wish someone could explain that too me.

The problem seems to be that each sliding door costs the same amount of money to build as a suburban house or a two-bedroom condo despite containing a small fraction of the material. I wish someone could explain that too me.
This can come from many factors, such needing to rebuild the platform itself because the platform edge can't support the weight of PSDs, or needing to retrofit ventilation systems into the stations because you can no longer rely on fresh air coming in via the tunnels (assuming you're building full height PSDs).

Right but what’s the cost to do the whole Line 1 or 2? Each is about 30 stations so at 30 each station that would be 800-900M a line. A huge investment to make.

Platform Edge Doors are currently budgeted at 2.868 Billion Dollars for the entire system - unfunded, except for Line 1, Bloor-Yonge under that station project line item.

St. George will likely be funded through a similar station expansion overhaul in the 2030s.

Platform Edge Doors are currently budgeted at 2.868 Billion Dollars for the entire system - unfunded, except for Line 1, Bloor-Yonge under that station project line item.

St. George will likely be funded through a similar station expansion overhaul in the 2030s.
arent PSDs allowed for in the vaughan extension stations?

arent PSDs allowed for in the vaughan extension stations?

To my understanding, the designs support sufficient ventilation, and in such manner, no retrofit for that is required. I'm not sure if the wiring is actually in place, but the power systems would support it.

So it should be mostly doors and tracks for those stations, I think.

This can come from many factors, such needing to rebuild the platform itself because the platform edge can't support the weight of PSDs, or needing to retrofit ventilation systems into the stations because you can no longer rely on fresh air coming in via the tunnels (assuming you're building full height PSDs).
The "mass" of the PSDs depends upon the type they may use.

From link.
  1. Platform Screen Doors (PSDs) are full-height automatic doors that are fully-fitted to the ceiling. They protect riders from piston effects (the rapid wind that occurs when the train is approaching).
  2. Platform Edge Doors (PEDs) are like PSDs, but do not reach all the way to the ceiling.
  3. Automatic Platform Gates (APGs) are shorter than PEDs and are half-height.
  4. Rope Platform Screen Doors (RPSDs) are a newer type of screen door that slide open vertically. Some operate like garage doors, allowing more flexibility in stopping points for the train.
A RPSD would depend on if the ceiling can support them.

1. Rope Platform Screen Doors (RPSDs) are a newer type of screen door that slide open vertically. Some operate like garage doors, allowing more flexibility in stopping points for the train
Interesting. I've not seen these before, though I'm not sure that specific implementation would be allowed here. Lots of pinch points and you can get trapped on the wrong side of them (too far from edge), nor do they solve the litter problem which causes most TTC track-level fires.

IIRC, long ago (before Finch station ventillation upgrades) Toronto fire weighed in on half-height gates and decided they required ventilation upgrades too as they would still reduce capacity for fresh air to reach those walking down the track to an exit.

Interesting. I've not seen these before, though I'm not sure that specific implementation would be allowed here. Lots of pinch points and you can get trapped on the wrong side of them (too far from edge), nor do they solve the litter problem which causes most TTC track-level fires.
You can place a light barrier on the side between the door and the train (like what is used in elevators and on the TTC’s Streetcars) to detect that the area is clear before starting the train. It’s not a big safety issue with the right protections.

Back