News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Ah, didn't know that. Presumably one would walk through the station door then, and down to the streetcars.

Though personally, I'll be using 506 and walking. Shuttle buses not worth the trouble.

Odd that the agenda for the TTC board meeting next week still isn't out yet.
Since the commissioners gave staff a difficult time a year or so ago for things coming out in the supplementary agenda without them having time to read them, the agenda doesn't come out as early as it used to. I'd expect it would be out latest Friday afternoon.

Since the commissioners gave staff a difficult time a year or so ago for things coming out in the supplementary agenda without them having time to read them, the agenda doesn't come out as early as it used to. I'd expect it would be out latest Friday afternoon.

That's kind of weird though in the sense that the core issue - late reports - isn't addressed in any concrete way other than by removing them from the supp. agenda and delaying the release of the agenda itself.

AoD

That's kind of weird though in the sense that the core issue - late reports - isn't addressed in any concrete way other than by removing them from the supp. agenda and delaying the release of the agenda itself.
Another recent complaint from the commissioners was of large issues coming up at the end of the agenda, not giving time to deal with. So that makes it difficult to routinely have a supplementary agenda.

Yeah and there is absolutely no announcement or acknowledgement. Another annoyance.

AoD

I hear such announcements on the TR trains all the time, and they are about as annoying as they are useless.

Attention TTC customers: to ensure safety over track conditions ahead, this subway train will operate slower than normal for a short time. We apologize for the inconvenience and will resume normal speed shortly. Thank You.

I just spent some time in the UK. The announcements on transit are so superior to ours.

I hear such announcements on the TR trains all the time, and they are about as annoying as they are useless.

Attention TTC customers: to ensure safety over track conditions ahead, this subway train will operate slower than normal for a short time. We apologize for the inconvenience and will resume normal speed shortly. Thank You.

It can be informative to have a message, but that's just excessively verbose.

I find that a "chatty" transit system can be really obnoxious. In Chicago it's way over top, with automated announcements to remember your belongings, avoid littering and even announcing the run number. "Thanks for riding CTA red line run number 437!" Gee, thanks!

For some reason, I find automated announcements a lot more grating than a live announcement from the operator.

They are - but it's important to acknowledge the issue. I consider slowdowns without any explanation to be a major irritant when you can't see what's going on. e.g. Is it because there is an emergency alarm activated?

AoD

Trains have been going really slow in the pocket track area between Ossington and Christie for the past few days.
This has been going on for weeks. I'm pretty sure there is track work going on, as I took a peek at the tracks from the doors on the train and their are planks of wood underneath the tracks. I'm not sure about the extent of the track work though.

I find it funny when people ask for all day service, because if we ever get to that point this is exactly what we'll be getting in return. More train-crawling service throughout most of the day.

It can be informative to have a message, but that's just excessively verbose.

I find that a "chatty" transit system can be really obnoxious. In Chicago it's way over top, with automated announcements to remember your belongings, avoid littering and even announcing the run number. "Thanks for riding CTA red line run number 437!" Gee, thanks!

For some reason, I find automated announcements a lot more grating than a live announcement from the operator.
In London, I agree that the "remember your belongings" is unnecessary but otherwise I found the announcements to be much more pleasant and informative than ours -- granted, you can change lines at so many stations so it's important information to have, whereas here there are only a couple of transfer points. The announcements were automated but it was a human recording which sounds so much better than those automated voice recordings.

The trains don't even slow down most of the time they play these announcements.

I bet I could go back into the UT archives and find complaints from people saying "Why did the TTC not tell us what was happening?" Surely better to give information than not and people can surely tune-out as necessary.

Back