News   Jun 03, 2024
 74     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 521     0 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.3K     9 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Phase 1 through 5 deployed ATC using pre-existing switch and stop locations. There is a phase 6 which optimizes these things a bit, including shifting the Eglinton station stop locations a little north.

I assume that this is the start of Phase 6.

Phase 1 through 5 deployed ATC using pre-existing switch and stop locations. There is a phase 6 which optimizes these things a bit, including shifting the Eglinton station stop locations a little north.

I assume that this is the start of Phase 6.
This work is more specifically for the moving and testing of the new stopping positions at Eglinton Station.

There is other work ongoing in the optimization of the system that has caused the early mid-week closures, and will continue to do so throughout the rest of this year.

Dan

I wonder if we'll see single-track running on the entire Line 1 once Phase 6 is running (or even late-night all-night operation - which on one hand sounds $, but on the other hand they ran the night bus up Yonge every 210 seconds (26 vehicles) pre-Covid. (even now, they are using 19 buses).

This article is infuriating.

How to stop random violence on the TTC? Seven top experts offer real fixes

It‘s just a list of platitudes and social engineering wishes. Here‘s my six fixes to reduce violent crime on the TTC:

1) Enforce the existing TTC Bylaw #1 covering fare evasion, loitering and acting in a threatening manner.
2) Stop revolving door Justice. The Keele St. stabber was wanted on multiple warrants. Hold and/or extradite.
3) Identify the crazies among us with a history of violence and likelihood of escalation. Put these folks under strict supervision, forced medication, and if necessary institutionize.
4) Get the subway station staff out of the pay booth, move to all e-payment and re-deploy staff so that every station has a staffer on foot, walking the station.
5) No more turning a blind eye to the crazed mutterers and those showing irrational behaviour. Assess them, not ignore.
6) Get our police out of their cars, off their bicycles, and on their feet. Know the street.

Last edited:
Yesterday was seeing Avenue Q and the venue was on Yonge Street. My friend lives on Yonge Street, so I figure, hey let's just take the subway rather than drive, it'll be fast.

Was this a good idea? Hell no. The subway was closed from York Mills southbound, so we took the subway one stop from Sheppard-Yonge to York Mills, then schlepped onto a slow-moving shuttle bus on Yonge Street, where of course there's lane closures around Eglinton.

Like I really thought these ATC closures were done? Aren't they supposed to be moving onto Bloor now? Ugh.

I wonder if we'll see single-track running on the entire Line 1 once Phase 6 is running (or even late-night all-night operation - which on one hand sounds $, but on the other hand they ran the night bus up Yonge every 210 seconds (26 vehicles) pre-Covid. (even now, they are using 19 buses).
No. The TTC has instituted a rule around work zones - in open-air areas where the tracks are immedately beside each other or cut-and-cover tunneled locations, it is felt to be too dangerous to have trains operating through while crews are working on the other track.

They will continue to do so on the open-air section between Glencairn and Wilson, and the bored tunnels north of Sheppard West. It is expected that they will start to do so in the bored tunnels south of Museum and north of Eglinton before too long.

Yesterday was seeing Avenue Q and the venue was on Yonge Street. My friend lives on Yonge Street, so I figure, hey let's just take the subway rather than drive, it'll be fast.

Was this a good idea? Hell no. The subway was closed from York Mills southbound, so we took the subway one stop from Sheppard-Yonge to York Mills, then schlepped onto a slow-moving shuttle bus on Yonge Street, where of course there's lane closures around Eglinton.

Like I really thought these ATC closures were done? Aren't they supposed to be moving onto Bloor now? Ugh.
As explained a couple of posts above, this (and the previous) closure at Eglinton was to set up the signal system for the new stopping positions for when The Crosstown opens.

Because the last thing anyone wants is for that opening to be delayed because the subway's not ready to deal with it.

Dan

No. The TTC has instituted a rule around work zones - in open-air areas where the tracks are immedately beside each other or cut-and-cover tunneled locations, it is felt to be too dangerous to have trains operating through while crews are working on the other track.

They will continue to do so on the open-air section between Glencairn and Wilson, and the bored tunnels north of Sheppard West. It is expected that they will start to do so in the bored tunnels south of Museum and north of Eglinton before too long.

As explained a couple of posts above, this (and the previous) closure at Eglinton was to set up the signal system for the new stopping positions for when The Crosstown opens.

Because the last thing anyone wants is for that opening to be delayed because the subway's not ready to deal with it.

Dan
Same with streetcars in the open-air with track repair? Same with buses in the open-air with road repair?

JFC ... if they really want to go for safety, they should ban all moving vehicles, and make everyone walk eveywhere ...

When, in living memory, have streetcars ever used one track while the other was undergoing repairs?

Not in my Living Memory...........but maybe the odd really old-time here.......LOL

1680534206585.png

Back