1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Oh, you mean Kevin O'Leary? :D
Kevin_O%27Leary_2012.jpg

From Wikipedia.

I wish

I'm not sure which of them has gotten shipped out for structural repairs but I think all of the interior work is being done by the TTC. I'm not sure if they will redesign the ALRVs too much as at this point if they do too much to them they would have to make them accessible and they determined that because of the height of them it would be to dangerous to do. Alos even though they did plan to refurbish a lot of them they seem to be disappearing faster then the CLRVs are now at this point.
The tally being kept at CPTDB indicates 50/196 CLRVs withdrawn, 9/52 ALRVs. However, that is not an official count.

Thanks for this - I hadn't seen an EA3 plan which included the RT stations. I still think as per the thread I started that there should be serious consideration to closing Midland and Ellesmere at or before the deadline rather than spending a ton of money for 3-4 years of use.

https://twitter.com/moore_oliver/status/885566330245611520

TTC is getting rid of time-based transfers on St. Clair on September 3rd. It was sorta inevitable with Presto, since it's tricky to support time-based transfers on one specific route.
Wouldn't have been tricky at all if they just rolled it out City wide, as they should have.

EDIT: I mean JFC is there no way we can just have a nice thing in Toronto? "We're giving you the low floor streetcar but it means we're taking away another thing because reasons"

Wouldn't have been tricky at all if they just rolled it out City wide, as they should have.

In terms of Presto support, it would actually be a lot simpler than the current system. The tricky part is finding the political will to sacrifice $10-20 million in net revenue (that figure includes additional revenue from people who choose to take the TTC because of the policy change) when nobody gets a significant benefit from the revenue loss.

Having said that, I think the system currently supported by Presto - timed transfers on the surface network but not on the subway - is a decent, albeit convoluted and involuntary, middle ground.

Changes coming to TTC's 512 St Clair service

July 13, 2017

With the introduction of new accessible and air-conditioned low-floor streetcars to its 512 St Clair route on Sept. 3, the TTC will eliminate two-hour time-based transfers on the route, as operators on the new streetcars cannot issue paper transfers to customers.

As with all other TTC routes, fares are valid for one continuous trip. Customers will be required to pay again if they choose to end their journey along the route for any length of time.

The time-based transfer was introduced on the 512 St Clair route as a temporary measure in 2005 for customers and businesses during construction of the right-of-way.

The new streetcars will be introduced to the route as they arrive over the next several months with the entire route expected to be entirely low-floor by early 2018.
=======================================================
So, not all car on 512 will be Flexity come Sept 3 and will not be until 2018

With the introduction of new accessible and air-conditioned low-floor streetcars to its 512 St Clair route on Sept. 3, the TTC will eliminate two-hour time-based transfers on the route, as operators on the new streetcars cannot issue paper transfers to customers.

This is a stupid excuse. The new streetcars have a machine that gives you a paper transfer with the route number and time on it.

This is a stupid excuse. The new streetcars have a machine that gives you a paper transfer with the route number and time on it.
Given the fact that this was to be a short time frame solution to the construction mess, it 7 year after all the construction has been completed and time to kill the project. Have said that, its time for TTC to do this 2 hour transfer city wide.

Given the fact that this was to be a short time frame solution to the construction mess, it 7 year after all the construction has been completed and time to kill the project. Have said that, its time for TTC to do this 2 hour transfer city wide.

Sorry, the non-transit users and fiscal-conservatives on the TTC board don't want to change it for the betterment of the transit user.

Sorry, the non-transit users and fiscal-conservatives on the TTC board don't want to change it for the betterment of the transit user.

Nobody wants to change it in city hall - neither the conservatives nor the progressives. They all agreed that for roughly the same price, it was better (i.e. more politically beneficial) to create the ten-minute network, expand blue night buses, restore service that was cut in 2011 and allow all-door boarding on streetcars. Nobody on city council cares about timed transfers because they have to find a way to fund it and there isn't anyone who sees a significant benefit from it.

Having said that, I think the system currently supported by Presto - timed transfers on the surface network but not on the subway - is a decent, albeit convoluted and involuntary, middle ground.

There are no timed transfers in the Presto rules for the TTC. Transfers between surface routes are governed by referencing a huge matrix of possibilities.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There are no timed transfers in the Presto rules for the TTC. Transfers between surface routes are governed by referencing a huge matrix of possibilities.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Which undoubtedly explains why the system has so many glitches like:

PRESTO card customers require a paper transfer on the following routes.
Transfers must be shown to station staff when entering Union or Royal York stations and to operators when boarding these buses. Please make sure you obtain a paper transfer at the start of your trip.

• 15 Evans
  • 121 Fort York
  • 72 Pape
    48 Rathburn
  • 73 Royal York
  • 76 Royal York South
Al this fixin' and referencing must cost $$$$$.

There's no "huge matrix". You basically have free surface transfers for two hours, as long as you don't get on the exact same vehicle that you took earlier on. The Presto readers don't know what route they're operating or what direction they're going in, and while they do know their current location, the location data is imprecise and often unavailable (which is why a lot of the time you just see a random stop outside a bus garage in your usage history)

There's no "huge matrix". You basically have free surface transfers for two hours, as long as you don't get on the exact same vehicle that you took earlier on. The Presto readers don't know what route they're operating or what direction they're going in, and while they do know their current location, the location data is imprecise and often unavailable (which is why a lot of the time you just see a random stop outside a bus garage in your usage history)

Stop it. You're wrong, and you've been proven wrong. Time to move on.

Back