News   May 03, 2024
 531     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 334     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 189     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Not true and need to blame the EMS and Fire Department for this mess. If grass was place as plan, then drivers would know they aren't allow there, but you will get a few clueless drivers. Having a huge fine for driving on this ROW would do some rethinking by drivers.

TTC should have done more to tell drivers you are not allow at the portal than they have to date. This even goes back before the road was rebuilt.
True EMS and fire service may have vetoed grass but it was till redesigned by waterfront Toronto. At least we didn't do something stupid like Washington DC did and have the track devid after it comes out of the tunnel and be on either side of the sidewalk

I took a close-up look at the Queensway yesterday. The TTC has started tearing out track, and the contractor for the bridge work is now on site.

The bar-coding on the new rail was curious, as if it was bought at Home Hardware. It's Accellor Mittal rail. The old rail is a mixture of 1993 Sidney and 2003 Mittal rail. I don't know if it will be reused or scrapped.

Clearly TTC intends to scrap the ties, as the old rail was dragged over the ties, scoring them badly. I wonder what the plan is for redoing the ballast. As had been commented in an earlier discussion, the ballast between the ties is good (but dirty) rock ballast, but the subgrade it sits on looks pretty muddy. I wonder how deep TTC will go to improve the subgrade. The center-mounted footing for the catenary poles will be a complication for the backhoe operators when they scrape and grade the subgrade.

Anyways, it's all under way.

- Paul
20170305 Queensway 3.jpg
20170305 Queensway 5.jpg

20170305 Queensway 1.jpg
20170305 Queensway 9.jpg

Attachments

• 20170305 Queensway 1.jpg
    20170305 Queensway 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 329
  • 20170305 Queensway 3.jpg
    20170305 Queensway 3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 278
  • 20170305 Queensway 5.jpg
    20170305 Queensway 5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 273
  • 20170305 Queensway 9.jpg
    20170305 Queensway 9.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 263
Last edited:
TTC will scrap the ties and most likely use new rail. Its possible some existing rail maybe reused, depending on the condition of it and long section if they aren't now.

The new tracks will be built like they have been for the system, since it will be bury in concrete, not like it used to be. It will have the same concrete sub base as rest of the system.

The Queensway, Gardiner Expressway, Lake Shore Blvd. and the railway are all built onto a sandbar that separated Grenadier Pond from Lake Ontario. The pond would have been a bay if it wasn't for the sand bar. Being sand, it is not very stable. That is why the railway (and later the Gardiner Expressway) were built on top of mounds, which adds to the stability. There were other ponds in the area, including a former small pond (since filled in and housing built on) next door to the current St. Joseph Health Care Centre.

1884-W_SHS.jpg

Likely it is the sandy base of the sandbar where the streetcar tracks run on are not that stable, and now need better reconstruction.

I took a close-up look at the Queensway yesterday. The TTC has started tearing out track, and the contractor for the bridge work is now on site.

The bar-coding on the new rail was curious, as if it was bought at Home Hardware. It's Accellor Mittal rail. The old rail is a mixture of 1993 Sidney and 2003 Mittal rail. I don't know if it will be reused or scrapped.

Clearly TTC intends to scrap the ties, as the old rail was dragged over the ties, scoring them badly. I wonder what the plan is for redoing the ballast. As had been commented in an earlier discussion, the ballast between the ties is good (but dirty) rock ballast, but the subgrade it sits on looks pretty muddy. I wonder how deep TTC will go to improve the subgrade. The center-mounted footing for the catenary poles will be a complication for the backhoe operators when they scrape and grade the subgrade.

Anyways, it's all under way.

- Paul

I believe that they built that section of the line to the older standard of 100lb/yd rail, which isn't really used anywhere else on the system except perhaps in the yards. I can't really think of any locations that TTC has that is big enough to store strings of rail, so I suspect that it will be sold for scrap or reuse.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

London's new Underground Tube map includes the trams (streetcars).
That map has for years - probably since they opened. That's the "London's rail and Tube services map from https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/national-rail - they used to call it something like the National Rail map back in the 1980s.

The standard tube map is this one (and yes, the trams are new here). It also has some of the early Elizabeth line services that have started (Crossrail), which is called TFL Rail since 2015. Also note the expansion of London Overground services since the same time taking over existing National Rail services out of Liverpool Street.

upload_2017-3-9_23-30-22.png

Does the TTC have something similar?
Yes - if you ever get the chance to ride one of the trains, you'll see this (one day):
upload_2017-3-9_23-39-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-9_23-30-22.png
    upload_2017-3-9_23-30-22.png
    960.2 KB · Views: 489
  • upload_2017-3-9_23-39-10.png
    upload_2017-3-9_23-39-10.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 588
That map has for years - probably since they opened. That's the "London's rail and Tube services map from https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/national-rail - they used to call it something like the National Rail map back in the 1980s.

The standard tube map is this one (and yes, the trams are new here). It also has some of the early Elizabeth line services that have started (Crossrail), which is called TFL Rail since 2015. Also note the expansion of London Overground services since the same time taking over existing National Rail services out of Liverpool Street.

View attachment 101590
Yes - if you ever get the chance to ride one of the trains, you'll see this (one day):
View attachment 101596

Yes it does, it's the light green "London Trams" at the bottom.

Here's a map with just the trams (streetcars).

View attachment 101601

I am referring to a TTC map athat has the Subways and Streetcar lines all on one map.

Back