News   Apr 25, 2024
 361     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/501-queen-closure-1.4004230

There won't be any streetcar service on the entire 501 Queen route this summer.

TTC spokesperson Stuart Green said streetcars will be replaced with buses along the busy route due to a number of construction projects both the city and the TTC are undertaking.

Green cited ongoing track work around Queen Street East and Coxwell Avenue, continued work west of Roncesvalles Avenue, and the upcoming replacement of the pedestrian walkway bridge to the south side of the Eaton Centre, which requires the removal of streetcar cables in the area.

"It made more sense to replace the streetcars with buses to give our customers a more seamless ride," Stuart said.

First-ever full closure of Queen streetcar line
It's the first time a full closure has ever happened on the 501 line, which stretches from the Neville Park loop in the east end to the Long Branch loop in the west.

It's the city's third-busiest streetcar route, which carries more than 43,000 passengers a day.

Stuart said streetcars are expected to stay off the rails from May 7 until early September.

aka we dont have enough streetcars to run the 501 so we willl come up with a convenient excuse to replace with Buses.

The bright side (if there is one) is that it will give the city some actual proof of what would happen if Toronto got rid of its streetcars..... both the added cost of all those buses, and the impact on congestion. Actually very timely given the debate about King Street.

My concern is.... how much additional construction is necessary in future years that will make this a recurring event? The City needs a strategy to manage this - so it only happens one year in five versus two or three times.

- Paul

In the story, they do mention that two of the automobile's tires were deflated. They don't mention where in the tunnel or incline did they got blown. Maybe a gully or canyon (with the tracks bridging it) at the entrance is needed to catch them.
lol...a *moat* and if that doesn't stop them, a drawbridge.

The bright side (if there is one) is that it will give the city some actual proof of what would happen if Toronto got rid of its streetcars..... both the added cost of all those buses, and the impact on congestion. Actually very timely given the debate about King Street.

My concern is.... how much additional construction is necessary in future years that will make this a recurring event? The City needs a strategy to manage this - so it only happens one year in five versus two or three times.

- Paul
Do we even have enough drivers for this? What about the other downtown routes and how will they be impacted?

Do we even have enough drivers for this? What about the other downtown routes and how will they be impacted?

My fear is that some of the shortfall will be filled in with overtime..... not a good strategy for a cash-strapped operation. Nor is stripping vehicles from other routes. Does this mean life-extending vehicles that would otherwise be retired? That can be costly also.

Of course, we will save money by sidelining the most worn-out ALRV/CLRV's, so there is some offset. But replacing a 100- passenger LRV with two 50-passenger buses is double the labour cost, and more fuel.

- Paul

EDIT PS - it struck me afterwards that another huge outage is coming....DRL, I wonder whether the City can save up some of its maintenance for that event. And, if so, maybe that argues for cut and cover for DRL....if we are going to tear up the street anyways for waterworks, curbs, etc....just build the damn tunnel at the same time, and we're good for another 20 years.

- Paul
You mean like frequent, rapid, reliable service west of Roncesvalles? Please DON'T bring them back! My commute has been cut by 30 mins. I no longer use GO Transit. Between the 514/504 to Dufferin and the 501L to HBS - I'm home in 30 mins. Unheard of.

You mean like frequent, rapid, reliable service west of Roncesvalles? Please DON'T bring them back! My commute has been cut by 30 mins. I no longer use GO Transit. Between the 514/504 to Dufferin and the 501L to HBS - I'm home in 30 mins. Unheard of.

I use 501L too, and it's wonderful. There's something wrong when a bus shuttle in mixed traffic outperforms the streetcar on grade separated trackage that it's replacing.

- Paul

I use 501L too, and it's wonderful. There's something wrong when a bus shuttle in mixed traffic outperforms the streetcar on grade separated trackage that it's replacing.

- Paul
Hence why I've been moaning and groaning about the crappy 501 since I was a teenager on this board. Nobody seemed to believe me that the bus shuttle is always a better deal.

I strongly hope the TTC keeps a shortened version of the 501L (let's say Royal York/LSBW to Dufferin Gate) when streetcars begin operating again. Give the people actual transit.. Reliable transit... Rapid transit... What a world we live in when buses provide much better service.

May to September usually sees a reduction in ridership due to universities and schools getting out for the summer, and summer vacations.

My fear is that some of the shortfall will be filled in with overtime..... not a good strategy for a cash-strapped operation. Nor is stripping vehicles from other routes. Does this mean life-extending vehicles that would otherwise be retired? That can be costly also.

Of course, we will save money by sidelining the most worn-out ALRV/CLRV's, so there is some offset. But replacing a 100- passenger LRV with two 50-passenger buses is double the labour cost, and more fuel.

- Paul

EDIT PS - it struck me afterwards that another huge outage is coming....DRL, I wonder whether the City can save up some of its maintenance for that event. And, if so, maybe that argues for cut and cover for DRL....if we are going to tear up the street anyways for waterworks, curbs, etc....just build the damn tunnel at the same time, and we're good for another 20 years.
May to September usually sees a reduction in ridership due to universities and schools getting out for the summer, and summer vacations.
Just like I suspected. This will cost more and there is the chance they may feel eliminating the 501 was a good idea...

I'm surprised that people here aren't more concerned about this. It sounds like it could be detrimental to Queen Street. I understand that it has to happen, but this could devastate retail and restaurants all along Queen. Or am I overly concerned?

Back