News   May 23, 2024
 186     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 319     3 
News   May 23, 2024
 764     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

We almost had a collision at Broadview earlier when a train was parked on the EB platform.

An incoming train forgot what platform to utilize nearly causing a collision.

I heard it on the scanner this afternoon.

I don't doubt there was an incident, but I think the details require some further explanation.

I think you're suggesting that a train approaching from the east, used the centre track to turn to get over to the EB platform, which was occupied.

@smallspy may be able to shed more light. I'm unclear why the signal system would allow such a movement.

I don't doubt there was an incident, but I think the details require some further explanation.

I think you're suggesting that a train approaching from the east, used the centre track to turn to get over to the EB platform, which was occupied.

@smallspy may be able to shed more light. I'm unclear why the signal system would allow such a movement.

Indeed.

I believe they were doing testing at the time.

We almost had a collision at Broadview earlier when a train was parked on the EB platform.

Doesn’t control control the switches or were they pointed towards the occupied platform?

I believe Broadview is not properly signaled for bidirectional terminal operations (for instance there is no reverse direction signal on the westbound platform). AFAIK from the centre track to the EB platform, the operator would receive a call-on signal, and the move into the platform would not be signal protected.

I don't know how the interlocking is actually set up but if the signal from the pocket track to EB broadview was showing a 'call on' (Red/Red/Yellow aspect) then that does not guard against occupancy, just routing (switches etc.). Call ons are used when there is a need to authorize movements that exceed the authority of the interlocking, but these must be passed with the expectation that the block is occupied.

Chances are the interlocking plant is not setup to allow that movement automatically.

On line 2 and the trains are still saying “for Kennedy” also interestingly noticed when I tapped on to go first my 3 hour transfer also extends to the ttc instead of the usual 2 hours. (3 hours after tapping onto go)

Is that the real reason that service was stopped between Broadview and Woodbine for a bit? Though TTC seems pretty confused about that.

Back