News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 914     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

As noted in the vid, I’d be interested to know which exact projects have been picked out for the 2030s transit expansion.
This is Toronto, there will be lots of changes in plan between now and the 2030s (or even the late 2020s!!). We excel at transit planning but fall short in the transit building that normally follows!!

Today in “huh, weird” I was sitting on 8778 at Donlands Station waiting for the operator to return from break when suddenly the horn started blaring. After a couple of minutes the operator appeared, got in the cab and the horn was silenced. That’s just a weird mechanical/electrical issue, right?

Today in “huh, weird” I was sitting on 8778 at Donlands Station waiting for the operator to return from break when suddenly the horn started blaring. After a couple of minutes the operator appeared, got in the cab and the horn was silenced. That’s just a weird mechanical/electrical issue, right?
Someone probably pulled the stop request cord or pressed the button while the operator was out of the seat.. It’s apparently a safety features.

So it's a free pass when they aren't even carrying any passenger.
Who cares? I doubt there will be enough abuse of that privilege for it to materially affect anyone else's commute. They're only allowed late at night and the rest of the roads are basically empty at that time

Exemptions just lead to confusion and car following. Transit and emergency vehicles should be it.
What idiotic logic, we're going to ACTIVELY make something worse for a huge amount of people because we're afraid some people might sneak in at 10pm??

I feel like a lot of peoples motivations here are to make driving worse out of some sort of jealousy.

The rideshare companies go to great lengths to tell governments they’re not a taxi service. Why would they be treated like one for this?
Because at the end of the day, they are a form of public transit and it's in everyone's best interest to reduce the need for parking or drunk driving in an area where alcohol is prevalent

What idiotic logic, we're going to ACTIVELY make something worse for a huge amount of people because we're afraid some people might sneak in at 10pm??

I feel like a lot of peoples motivations here are to make driving worse out of some sort of jealousy.
We just want to simplify the rules so that there’s less signage and it’s easy to enforce via automated means.

I find it hilarious that you believe that trying to prioritize transit on a single street downtown is driven by a fit of jealousy towards drivers. I guarantee that most of us posting own cars, use cars, and have driven our cars downtown.

At any rate, we can see how poorly King performs today without active, human enforcement. So, clearly the current rules/exceptions, signage and street structure do not work for transit. That needs a solution - and proposals around removing exceptions are a valid piece of that conversation.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been posted already, but the 512 St. Clair replacement busses were using the streetcar ROW eastbound between Deer Park Cres and St. Clair station. There’s a massive pothole right before the Yonge street intersection (it’s been there for a week or so) which I’m guessing is the reason why they’re using the EOW.

Some busses were slowing down at every pole while others were flying past them. It definitely looked like a tight squeeze from the sidewalk.

Back