News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 870     0 

TTC: New Articulated Buses (In Delivery, Novabus)

My gosh that is ugly. Nova hasn't produced a single attractive bus for the TTC. The Livery on our Orion VII's are far more attractive.

I don't think the design of the bus is the problem - the same model, more or less, looks better in Montreal and Ottawa versions. It's the TTC's general lack of interest in design beyond wanting a white bus with a red stripe down it. A big vehicle like an artic is an opportunity to create something visually striking, for the purposes of user recognition and traffic safety.

How about double decker articulated buses...

cropped%20jumbo.jpg

Attachments

• cropped%20jumbo.jpg
    cropped%20jumbo.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 3,222
How about double decker articulated buses...

Surprising, they don't carry much more than the current OC Double deck buses, let alone GO Transit.

My gosh that is ugly. Nova hasn't produced a single attractive bus for the TTC. The Livery on our Orion VII's are far more attractive.

Beg to differ, I think it looks far better than the Orion VII, especially the older ones. Wish someone could take a pic from inside though, interested to see the interior design and seating arrangements.

Beg to differ, I think it looks far better than the Orion VII, especially the older ones. Wish someone could take a pic from inside though, interested to see the interior design and seating arrangements.

Well I guess it's a matter of personal opinion. I find the design of the CLRV, ALRV, flexity freedom and the Orions to be quite sharp and attractive. The Nova looks a little silly to me, especially the nose. Placement of the TTC logos also look odd to me.

But this is all just frivolous complaining. All that matters is that it gets people to where they're going.

I don't think the design of the bus is the problem - the same model, more or less, looks better in Montreal and Ottawa versions. It's the TTC's general lack of interest in design beyond wanting a white bus with a red stripe down it. A big vehicle like an artic is an opportunity to create something visually striking, for the purposes of user recognition and traffic safety.

Ottawa doesn't have any LFS artics; they're all standard New Flyer models. Montreal and New York City both operate the LFS artics (and closer to home, the newer Viva artics are by the same manufacturer). New York MTA has a very simple bus livery as well (a blue stripe instead of a red stripe). Montreal does have a more striking colour scheme these days, but at the cost of the timeless circled-T-arrow logo.

Last edited:
Well I guess it's a matter of personal opinion. I find the design of the CLRV, ALRV, flexity freedom and the Orions to be quite sharp and attractive. The Nova looks a little silly to me, especially the nose. Placement of the TTC logos also look odd to me.

But this is all just frivolous complaining. All that matters is that it gets people to where they're going.

This one seems to have a little less black around the back on it compared to the Orions and LFS demo, and looks more similar to the TTC's New Flyer livery. Here are the pics to compare with:

Nova LFS demo
6180513272_0009441f28_z.jpg

New Flyer D40LF
7362144462_57f9729e58_z.jpg

Orion VII
TTC_Orion_VII_Bus_8084.jpg

Orion VII NG
5715ttc1235.jpg

Nova LFS articulated
yuZj1lw.jpg

And for reference, Viva Nova LFX
6981836769_d6748b3890_z.jpg

Last edited:
different window system, different doors, different roof arrangements on top of the headlight designs. Looks like Viva optted for a more expensive (or at least appears to have) package.

Ottawa doesn't have any LFS artics; they're all standard New Flyer models. Montreal and New York City both operate the LFS artics (and closer to home, the newer Viva artics are by the same manufacturer). New York MTA has a very simple bus livery as well (a blue stripe instead of a red stripe). Montreal does have a more striking colour scheme these days, but at the cost of the timeless circled-T-arrow logo.

You're right, I was confusing the Ottawa NF D60LFR with Nova artics elsewhere. But the giant partial maple leaf over each back wheel is striking enough.

They should've just used the same paint job on the 1999 LFS onto the 2013 LFS. Same with the 1999 D40LF, they should've used the 1991 D40LF demo paint job.

I was hoping TTC would change the design once Byford came in; a new image, like what David Gunn did in the 1990s.

Last edited:
Spotted on the 401 Tuesday, near Warden. Saw it travel south on the DVP and onto the 401 eastbound
IMAG0989_zps6bde2849.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0989_zps6bde2849.jpg
    IMAG0989_zps6bde2849.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,020
they must be driving them down from the factory. I wonder How odd it would be to see it driving down the 401 3 hours outside of Toronto haha.

they must be driving them down from the factory. I wonder How odd it would be to see it driving down the 401 3 hours outside of Toronto haha.
Probably no more odd than any other transit bus you see on 401 between Toronto and Montreal, that's being driven from the factory. I've seen these a few times ... though not in the last 2-3 years now I think about it. If I remember correctly they tended to be in packs of 2 or 3.

Back