News   Apr 30, 2024
 341     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 454     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1K     0 

TTC: Electric and alternative fuel buses

They might as well throw the money in the Hudson River.
Call me crazy, but I reckon the MTA probably has their reasons for looking in on these buses. How can they possibly know that it would be better to throw the money in the Hudson River until they've run their trials and figured out whether the buses are worth a damn?

There's not a lot of competition in the North American transit market. Having challengers to force New Flyer and Nova to innovate can only be a good thing. Perhaps Nova especially can learn what it means to equip their buses with suspensions.

Call me crazy, but I reckon the MTA probably has their reasons for looking in on these buses. How can they possibly know that it would be better to throw the money in the Hudson River until they've run their trials and figured out whether the buses are worth a damn?

There's not a lot of competition in the North American transit market. Having challengers to force New Flyer and Nova to innovate can only be a good thing. Perhaps Nova especially can learn what it means to equip their buses with suspensions.
Look at Proterra. They couldn't get their act together and now basically NOVA and Proterra are owned by the same company. Do you think a small startup can ramp up and become successful? Seems to me like it's a tough pill to swallow.

Apart from BYD being a different company, how would we have known how it would turn out with them, until we trialled the BYD buses here?

That's the whole point of a trial. If the MTA doesn't like the buses, they can sell them off or scrap them. It's not a big deal. It's hardly the first time the MTA has trialled unknown products: https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Metropolitan_Transportation_Authority_demonstrator_bus_fleet

Without taking a chance on something new, how can you possibly hope to move forward? Orion and Nova and New Flyer were all unknown quantities at one point.

Why would they sole source a unproven product?
Who says it's an unproven product considering they are used by numerous systems in Europe?? There are more suppliers in Europe than NA.

New Flyer and Gillig are the main suppliers in the US with BYD pulling up the rear for battery power buses. Pittsburgh is Gillig for 40' buses with New Flyer for 60', yet they have only have New Flyer XE40's in the fleet.

First time seeing the TTC’s New Flyer hybrid artic:

IMG_6567.jpeg

IMG_6568.jpeg

Not for the TTC, but still in Toronto. The Island Airport will be getting six battery-electric midibuses (28-30 foot) for their shuttle.

So it appears they may be finally getting their buses. There’s a Vicinty Lightning with the airport lettering at this year’s OTE trade show.

Back