News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 620     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Customer Service

I think its now obvious what we all already knew..........someone is running for Mayor. (and hey I like this package, its about 10 years late, but.....)

From The STAR:

Among the customer service improvements outlined Wednesday were:

• 50 new fare vending machines to make sure there’s alleviation from the monthly line-ups for passes across the system

• Improved customer assistance and more emergency transfers when there are major subway delays.

• Text messaging from all 800 streetcar stops by July to let riders know when the next couple of cars are expected to arrive

• Video screens at station entrances and collector booths with system status

• New microphones in the collector booths

• A 24/7 customer assistance and complaints line

• More TTC ambassadors at stations to help direct riders

• An overhaul of customer service training and performance evaluations for all 13,000 TTC employees.

The Star's article mentions
50 new fare vending machines to make sure there’s alleviation from the monthly line-ups for passes across the system
, but I was able to buy a New York subway day pass using my Visa card 10 years ago. Finally!

Text messaging from all 800 streetcar stops by July to let riders know when the next couple of cars are expected to arrive
Text messaging - that's a bit antiquated isn't it? Why not simply expand the current NextBus website to include all the streetcar stops? I'd think that could be done well before July.

now we are cooking... its been a long wait, but i guess it was worth it. taking baby steps is better than sitting there and doing nothing... listening to others (the customers) isn't such a bad idea after all eh mr. giambrone?

Oh I like the last one "Rear doors open and close faster than the front doors".

So to be consistent, we should leave by the front doors on the buses? (actually sometimes I've seen a bus driver asking everyone to leave by the front doors at many stops, so he can get in and out of the stop faster).

i always leave by the front

So to be consistent, we should leave by the front doors on the buses? (actually sometimes I've seen a bus driver asking everyone to leave by the front doors at many stops, so he can get in and out of the stop faster).

Or else the rear exit's blocked by snow drifts...

7 minutes in the middle of the day seems inexecusable, with a subway station at least one terminus.

But this is the 310 Bathurst night bus at 3 AM. The southern terminal is Exhibition loop. The northern terminal is Steeles and Village Gate, with nothing but apartment buildings. Just what is TTC policy on this? Generally when I'm on the night bus, they run like greased lightening, and can very quickly make up any lost time.

What gets me is stuff like the 25 Don Mills stopping for a coffee a couple of stops after leaving Pape Station - which has it's own Tim Hortons!

Not only did this driver take an unscheduled, unpaid break but he left the bus idling for 7+ minutes. He ripped off the TTC by taking a break when he should be working, stiffing the TTC's customers in the process, and he did it while burning fuel and breaking the law.

It looks like the public has found a way to fight back against the sense of entitlement at the TTC. Slacker and rude employees have just found a 24/7 supervisor: the public. Keep those photos and videos coming!

The TTC needs to become a service focused organization. I'd support a rebranding as the Toronto Transit Service. A new customer service focus might get them to take sleeping employees or rudeness more seriously.

And the Transit Commission needs to be just that. They should be more like a Board of Directors, setting strategic guidance and such. They are way too involved in running the system. I'd even suggest that the TTC should add provincial and federal representation on the Commission. The Commission should be responsible for managing a transit portfolio, including for example, private transit ops or jitneys. They shouldn't be running the TTC on a near day-to-day basis.

On the point of where employees can live. All the TTC needs to do is require residency within a certain radius for 'operational reasons' (ie. you can be called in on short notice). It's something for example that the military does to its personnel. CF members are not normally allowed to reside more than 50 km from their place of employment (be that an office tower in a canadian city, a foreign post or a military base). There is no real emergency requirement, except for very few personnel. But the military has always felt that personnel living further away impacts their quality of life which in turn can impact morale and work performance. I really don't understand how they let cops and EMS workers live further than 50km from Toronto.

For the TTC though, one easy way to limit parking for TTC employees. You only get a spot if you are on the opening or closing shift. Otherwise, require them to take the TTC to/from work.

Slacker and rude employees have just found a 24/7 supervisor: the public. Keep those photos and videos coming!

+1

Every teen and twenty something with a camera is going to do more to improve TTC service in the next few months than Giambrone could do in a life time. Just watch. Heck, you don't even have to film them. Just threaten. When you see the driver get down, whip out your phone and make it obvious like you are filiming him/her. Watch how quicly they end that coffee break!

Back