News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 493     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

TTC: Confronting Litter Bugs

Re: Does Litter Create Jobs at the TTC?

When I complete a section I always leave the read sections behind for someone else to read and enjoy. Usually someone else picks up the paper before I leave the train. Now I guess you could consider that littering, but I personally appreciate picking up a paper to read during the boring ride home sometimes.

I do the same thing. I usually don't buy a paper, but if I find one on the train and read it, I just leave it for someone else to read.

Re: Does Litter Create Jobs at the TTC?

I do the same with newspapers: I was visiting a friend at Rotman where I picked up a free Post and walked to Yonge/Dundas sq to give it a read and then handed it to another guy just hanging around - he seemed appreciative.

Lots of papers don't end up waiting nicely for you on the seats, they end up crumpled and stepped on on the floor.

Not if you don't leave it in a crumpled mess. If you fold it nicely and leave it on the seat, it'll stay that way.

not so... as soon as someone comes to sit down they will throw that "neatly folded" paper onto the floor... when the bus/subway/streetcar is crowded all of the papers end up on the floor or squashed between certain seats and the wall.

"Squashed between seats and wall" is actually the next most acceptable option...

I don't mind seeing complete real papers left (this does not include the Sun either), but it is usually the sections that people ignore, like the Auto, New Homes (not the Condo Living), Fashion, Life and flyers/paid suppliments. If I have a newspaper at a coffee shop, I'll leave it on the table but throw out everything else. But most of the time, it's 24 (trash) or Metro (slightly better), and left there because the previous reader doesn't give a sh*t, and I end up throwing it on the floor below the seat if it is occupying the seat I intend to take.

Metro and even 24 are acceptable throwaway subway reading--"good trash", i.e. I'd read them if I found them on the seat and haven't read them yet.

Note, though, that I *only* read them second-hand, i.e. I never bother picking up a copy from the rack...

Back