News   Apr 26, 2024
 360     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 323     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 508     0 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

I don't think they forgot. It could be that Front and the loop south of Mill are the only two stops. This is a 500m spur line so you don't need more than 2 stops. King/Sumach will be a stop, then Front/Cherry, then Cherry/Mill loop.

OK, I went out for another walk and checked more carefully. As noted above they could, in theory, have stops almost anywhere going north as the ROW is adjacent to the sidewalk but seem to have set only one up - just south of Front - they even have what may be the bolts for a shelter. Going south they need to have a concrete pad (as opposed to the trees and plants) separating the tracks from the road and they have set up one, just north of Front. I thus think we can definitively say that there will be stops on King, just before turning down Sumach. There will be both north and south stops on Cherry @ Front and, presumably one at the loop.

I may come across as griping a bit, but having recently ridden the utter travesty that is the Queens Quay ROW that the TTC spent years refurbishing, my patience with the TTC grows a little thin. I'll believe "fully transit-accessible" one day when the West Don Lands get a DRL stop or a satellite GO RER station.
The QQ ROW and associated "stuff' is NOT yet finished and the transit priority signals are not yet connected. It may never be perfect but you really can't judge it just yet. Wait till May before complaining, too much!

Buses aren't transit?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Not of sufficiently high order for as dense a development as the WDL. They're a start of course, but I'd like to see something a little better than that for the WDL.

The QQ ROW and associated "stuff' is NOT yet finished and the transit priority signals are not yet connected. It may never be perfect but you really can't judge it just yet. Wait till May before complaining, too much!

Point. I'll be quite pleased to see a day when the transit signals don't give the streetcars successive sequences of reds timed so poorly that the vehicle can't even move through two greens in a row.

If I remember correctly, there is a stop at Front St and the loop going south. North will be at the loop, Front and King St. North Platform will be part of the sidewalk for Front St with a platform going south like QQ.

As for QQ, traffic engineers doing their thing and only hope come May-July that transit Priority Signals are working. They should put a only as needed red light for the fire hall now, as it a waste of time stopping there. TTC had very little to do with this rebuilt and lost a number of battles trying to stop both QQ and Cherry St ROW that are there now.

Doing some major house cleaning and backup on the computer, came upon a video I shot in Geneva in 2012, coming down a steep road from Cain Switzerland. A few thing stood out and don't think I have view the videos I shot there until now. There is no raise concrete ROW, but a painted line on the road in most places that can be found on other system in Europe. The overhead is different than TTC as well the support for it.

You can see some double and triple trolley buses that use the same platform as the tram. Trams are 7 section and about the sames as our new 5 sections. Coming down the steep section, it looks a lot like Bathurst and Dufferin St hills.

The reason Europe can get away with paint strip on the road is the enforcement fine compare to our non enforcement of HOV lanes for transit.

Notice the bar signals for transit and maybe we will see it one day.
[video=youtube_share;3wLjH_ui7LA]http://youtu.be/3wLjH_ui7LA[/video]

Last edited:
Not of sufficiently high order for as dense a development as the WDL. They're a start of course, but I'd like to see something a little better than that for the WDL.

Well, you better not let the good people of Jane&Finch, Concorde Place, Wynford Park, Regent Park, etc. know about that then.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

In Ontario, only this vertical bar is legal.

3c_3a.jpg

In other countries, including some U.S. states, they use something like this.

744px-Public_transportation_traffic_lights_in_NL_and_BE.svg.png

The signals mean (from left to right):
"go straight ahead", "go left", "go right", "go in any direction" (like the "green" of a normal traffic light), "stop, unless the emergency brake is needed" (equal to "yellow"), and "stop" (equal to "red").

But because it wasn't "created" in Ontario, it can't be used.

Attachments

• 3c_3a.jpg
    3c_3a.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,486
  • 744px-Public_transportation_traffic_lights_in_NL_and_BE.svg.png
    744px-Public_transportation_traffic_lights_in_NL_and_BE.svg.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,621
The art piece on the north west corner of Sumach and Eastern has been installed.

screen4.jpg

screen1.jpg

Attachments

• screen1.jpg
    screen1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,165
  • screen4.jpg
    screen4.jpg
    946.5 KB · Views: 1,133
Last edited:
The art installation on the north east corner of Sumach and Eastern has been installed.

That looks amazing - high quality design and construction. I just hope the City doesn't allow utility work to ruin it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a WT blog entry from April 7th of last year about the project.

The proposed public art project for the intersection of Sumach Street and Eastern Avenue will fuse the history of the site – from the end of the last Ice Age to the present day – through a unique kind of visual storytelling.

Back