News   Apr 25, 2024
 387     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

TTC Cartography, Signage, and Wayfinding

Honestly apparently more people outside the forum care because I have a bunch of friends who have independently brought this up as a pet peeve just from riding the subway. They have no interest in transit, unlike how the people on the forum are interested yet are responding and arguing against change because why bother trying to change anything ever.

ok maybe they are a few but the majority of people probably don't care they could have used blue an purple lights and someone would complain they should be the other way. It's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

ok maybe they are a few but the majority of people probably don't care they could have used blue an purple lights and someone would complain they should be the other way. It's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

But it's not because blue and purple don't have decades of GO and STOP associated with them like green and red respectively. If that's the case lets just change the stop lights to red means go and green means stop cuz six of one...

But it's not because blue and purple don't have decades of GO and STOP associated with them like green and red respectively. If that's the case lets just change the stop lights to red means go and green means stop cuz six of one...

Exactly green means go and red means top that's why they used green to show that the train is traveling in that direction. When I look at the map that's how I see it, it makes sense to me the way it is or maybe it's because I've gotten used to it now. I guess I just don't see why it needs to be changed because it's not really broken to me.

Exactly green means go and red means top that's why they used green to show that the train is traveling in that direction. When I look at the map that's how I see it, it makes sense to me the way it is or maybe it's because I've gotten used to it now. I guess I just don't see why it needs to be changed because it's not really broken to me.

Because like you said you got used to it so you can use it. But wayfinding is for people to find their way when they don't know where they're going. It's not for people like you who are "used to it" and know where you're going. Therefore, a map should be logical, intuitive, etc so that people who aren't yet used to it can actually use it. You say green shows what direction it's going in...no green currently shows the direction it came from. Green for the upcoming stops shows where it's GOING.

For decades green means GO...i.e. you proceed through the green light. Red means stop, no, opposite of green. Do not proceed. Therefore the train should travel towards green, away from red. But, since you can't just swap them now because a complete reversal would be confusing, they should proceed, (GO) towards green, and have no lights for where the train has been, because who cares? If you want a stop that it's already been at, you shouldn't be on that train. You should go to the other platform and get on that train that shows your stop lit up in green....because it GOES there.

So yes, it is broken and should be changed, regardless of if someone who is a transit enthusiast and uses the subway frequently has memorized it.

Is anyone who is not a transit enthusiast had a problem with this? I've heard mentions here ... but never heard anyone on the subway saying anything.

Whatever this is just getting ridiculousness no one is going to convince the other side which is right and which is wrong and I think the TTC has other priorities and beater things to spend money on then changing a bunch of light bulbs on am pa, just so it makes sees to some people.

Whatever this is just getting ridiculousness no one is going to convince the other side which is right and which is wrong and I think the TTC has other priorities and beater things to spend money on then changing a bunch of light bulbs on am pa, just so it makes sees to some people.

No light bulbs have to change, they all light up with both colours, therefore no cost to change bulbs. It's about doing things PROPERLY to make things intuitive. To improve wayfinding. I guess I just find it important to be as clear as possible instead of accepting things that are wrong.

No light bulbs have to change, they all light up with both colours, therefore no cost to change bulbs. It's about doing things PROPERLY to make things intuitive. To improve wayfinding. I guess I just find it important to be as clear as possible instead of accepting things that are wrong.

I'm sorry I just don't think they did it wrong to me at all and don't see why they need to change it.

Well obviously many people disagree so I will continue what I'm doing.

I wouldn't say many I'd say some and you're welcome to disagree with me but I just don't see the TTC changing it now because of a small group of people singing a petition when they have millions of riders everyday who don't care what color the lights are.

I wouldn't say many I'd say some and you're welcome to disagree with me but I just don't see the TTC changing it now because of a small group of people singing a petition when they have millions of riders everyday who don't care what color the lights are.

Great then it's none of your concern if I'm wasting my own time so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

Great then it's none of your concern if I'm wasting my own time so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

Go ahead I just don't see what the complaint is. I think there a are a lot more things to complain about with the TTC then what clour lights on a map are. Plus they have more pressing things to deal with like implementing presto system wide, making every station accessible, and completing the subway expansion into Vaughn, then there's whatever is going to be built in Scarborough, etc, etc.

Go ahead I just don't see what the complaint is. I think there a are a lot more things to complain about with the TTC then what clour lights on a map are. Plus they have more pressing things to deal with like implementing presto system wide, making every station accessible, and completing the subway expansion into Vaughn, then there's whatever is going to be built in Scarborough, etc, etc.

Holy crap. If you think no one cares, and the TTC won't listen anyway then I can't understand how it affects you in the least and therefore can't for the life of me figure out why you constantly have to regurgitate that the TTC won't do anything. Great, then you don't have to worry about what useless things a stranger is doing in his spare time!

If it's just a matter of obsessively wanting to get the last word out of principle then fine just say "I got the last word" and I won't respond and will let you have it. Jeez. Good night.

Back