News   Apr 25, 2024
 279     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 897     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 908     0 

TTC: Budgeting, Fares and Financials

ksun, even for someone as wrong as you have often been on this forum, comparing TTC customers to vegetables probably plumbs a new low.

I am comparing drivers to drivers. Essentially the same skills no matter how you stretch it. It's easy to drive the TTC if there is any difference. And lack of long distance and highway driving.

Last edited:
Why Ford/Stintz failed is they tried to be hands off as the shareholder representatives. 3G is very much hands on.

I suspect 3G understands their businesses. Neither Ford or Stintz had a clue about how a good transit system works, or any of the other areas Ford wanted to change.

When you don't have any actual knowledge, hands-off inspirational goals is all you can do without creating an absolute disaster. The only targeted cut on the TTC was route reductions, and it's safe to say those were an absolute failure given they're being reversed (near-zero, or even negative, long-term savings achieved).

Glyn Bowerman said:
What happens when the TTC gets too expensive to ride?

What happens when public transit costs too much?

With the TTC considering yet another fare hike for 2016, and no immediate promise of higher subsidies from the provincial or federal governments, it’s worth asking.

Obviously, steep increases in fare prices harm the people who can least afford them. It may limit people’s physical, social and economic mobility within the city. For some, a turnstile becomes a significant barrier. Others, well, they just hop it.

http://metronews.ca/voices/your-rid...pens-when-the-ttc-gets-too-expensive-to-ride/

When I was in Paris, I was shocked to see so many riders (mostly black young guys) simply hop across the subway fare gate without paying. I almost saw it every day. The fare inspectors, who are probably too used to it, hardly raised their eyebrows. So far I haven't see it happen in Toronto yet.

It's probably because of the presence of fare collectors at station entrances in Toronto.

It's probably because of the presence of fare collectors at station entrances in Toronto.

The Paris metro has fare collectors too. I think it has more to do with the fact such action is less tolerated in Toronto?
I wonder if someone does hop across, what will the fare collectors do?

TTC considering fare hike in 2016 to help pay for $95M shortfall

TTC riders might have to dig a little deeper to ride the rocket next year.

On Tuesday, the transit commission's budget committee said it's considering a fare hike in 2016 to balance its books.

The TTC is projecting a $95 million dollar shortfall next year and will be looking to riders to help foot that bill.

It presented eight potential fare hike scenarios at Tuesday's meeting. They include an extra five cents per ride to 25 cents per cash ride, and "a fare increase spread across all fare media."

"No one wants fare increases," TTC CEO Andy Byford said. "I'd love to be able present a budget that doesn't require a fare increase but, realistically, I don't think that's going to happen.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-2016-to-help-pay-for-95m-shortfall-1.3229801

Enough is bloody enough.

The cost of tokens will be highest in Canada and the Metropass hasn't been cost effective for a long time...

The whole point of a monthly pass is to offer a deeply discounted travel ticket, but the TTC seems to raise the Metropass cost concurrently with its average cost per trip per token. Ridiculous.

I haven't bought a Metropass since the last fare increase as I no longer broke even. Does anyone have stats to see if Metropass purchases have been decreasing?

They are a mixed bag - some have eyes like hawks, while others have a clear meh attitude towards the farebox/riders passing through - you can be a shark and they still wouldn't notice. I certainly wouldn't count on the collectors as a whole to maintain the integrity of the fare system.

AoD

Enough is bloody enough.

The cost of tokens will be highest in Canada and the Metropass hasn't been cost effective for a long time...

The whole point of a monthly pass is to offer a deeply discounted travel ticket, but the TTC seems to raise the Metropass cost concurrently with its average cost per trip per token. Ridiculous.

I haven't bought a Metropass since the last fare increase as I no longer broke even. Does anyone have stats to see if Metropass purchases have been decreasing?

The management really haven't gone after the union benefits like they should be. $500M of future obligations that are not funded and counting!

Health and Dental - if you stay 10 years you get free health and dental for life
Supplemental Pension - the benefits are so big that it exceeds CRA's maximum (TTC pays for 50% of the pension)

(and if you are in the private sector you would know how generous this is)

This insanity has to stop. Most levels of government are reeling in the bloated public sector and the TTC needs to follow suit.

I am 100% in favour of all new builds being run privately until the costs can be reigned in. And if it is successful then continue to privatize and slowly push out these high-cost workers. Works for GO, works for York Region, why can't it work for the TTC.

The management really haven't gone after the union benefits like they should be. $500M of future obligations that are not funded and counting!

Health and Dental - if you stay 10 years you get free health and dental for life
Supplemental Pension - the benefits are so big that it exceeds CRA's maximum (TTC pays for 50% of the pension)

(and if you are in the private sector you would know how generous this is)

This insanity has to stop. Most levels of government are reeling in the bloated public sector and the TTC needs to follow suit.

I am 100% in favour of all new builds being run privately until the costs can be reigned in. And if it is successful then continue to privatize and slowly push out these high-cost workers. Works for GO, works for York Region, why can't it work for the TTC.

I'd take a different approach instead of a blanket good benefits = bad. High cost can be justified only by high performance, but so far the performance we have seen is lackadaisical. What we need is performance evaluation, merit pay and removal of dead wood.

AoD

Enough is bloody enough.

Uhh....Of course theyre the highest, TTC is the only agency in NA that still uses tokens!
Face it, costs will continue to increase over time whether by inflation or for budgetary reasons. The current fare has been frozen for 5 years. A fare increase is long overdue anyways so
you might as well accept the fact and carry on.

I worry as monthly passes are getting shockingly expensive. Compare to other systems (without exchange of currency):
  • Toronto: Monthly $141.50, per ride $3.00 (cash) or $2.80 (token)
  • NYC: Monthly $116.50, per ride $2.48 (effective with 11% bonus)
  • SF: Monthly $70 (MUNI only), $83 (including SF BART), per ride $2.25
  • Chicago: Monthly $100, per ride $2.25 (2 hour transfer extra $0.25)
  • Boston: Monthly $75, per ride $2.10
  • Atlanta: Monthly $95, per ride $2.50
  • Vancouver: Monthly $91 (1-zone), $124 (2-zone), per ride $2.75 (1-zone), $4 (2-zone)
DC and BART are hard to compare as they have both a local component (like the add-on to MUNI above in SF) as well as a regional rail component, so it's pricing by distance. Minimum fares are $1.75 off-peak for DC and $1.85 for BART. A typical BART fare, which is downtown Oakland to downtown SF is $3.30 which is comparable to TTC cash fare, although involves crossing a municipal boundary.

The multiple is what really makes the passes painful. The TTC multiple is 50.5 times the token fare. NYC is 47 on the high end of these systems, whereas MUNI is on the low end at a multiple of 31. For a Canadian comparison, Vancouver has a multiple of 33 for the 1-zone fare.

Back