618     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 298     0 

Transport Canada May Force Metal Detectors on Island Ferry

U

unimaginative2

New anti-terrorist rules may snag island ferry
The Star

Plans by Ottawa to screen bags, install detectors `make no sense' for Toronto on busy weekends, David Miller says

Feb 09, 2007 04:30 AM
Toronto's island ferry service is seeking exemptions from Transport Canada security rules that might require passengers to board single file, go through a metal detector, and have their bags and coolers searched.

Mayor David Miller says the new rules "make no sense" for the island ferries, which carry tens of thousands of passengers on busy summer weekends.

"The equivalent is to say you need a metal detector at every bus stop in Toronto," Miller said in an interview.

The ferry service is "accidentally caught up in a federal program that I would hope is not designed to deal with urban transportation," he said.

City spokesperson Brad Ross said the ferry service has been talking to Transport Canada about the security rules, meant to thwart terrorists.

Some of the regulations won't interfere with current operations, Ross said, such as having secure fencing around boarding areas and installing surveillance cameras.

But rules about making passengers board in single file, checking bags and coolers or running passengers through metal detectors do raise practical questions, he said.

The city is talking to Transport Canada about how to meet its requirements but also the needs of Toronto residents, he said.

"Within the regulations, as I understand it, there are exemptions, and you can relax the regulations in certain circumstances," he said. "That's what we're trying to find, that middle ground. That's what the talks with Transport Canada are about."

Miller told the Star he hasn't taken part in the talks, but could get involved if necessary.

"The discussion so far has been civil service to civil service," he said.

"But from my perspective, Toronto ferries, first of all, are not a safety threat. Secondly, they're a city service within city boundaries and should not be subject to these kind of federal requirements, period."

A Transport Canada spokesman said he couldn't comment yesterday.

CITY HALL BUREAU staff

Re: Transport Canada May Force Metal Detectors on Island Fer

The question I have is whether this would apply to passengers to BC Ferries (how the hell do you get the bus and drive-up passengers to clear security?), Translink Seabus and Haifax's Metro Transit (whose ferries are vital parts of their urban transit systems).

Just stupid. Of couse, terrorists could jst get a speed boat packed with explosives. I doubt security could stop that.

I am sick and tired of overcautious restrictions like this in the name of terrorism. After all, do they screen passengers for the Staten Island Ferry? Didn't think so.

Island ferry slowdowns on the horizon

Time to build a bridge to the Island! :)

Re: Island ferry slowdowns on the horizon

Terrorists can blow up anything. They blow up busy streets with car bombs and have done so in many countries, yet obviously there is no plan to search cars as they enter the city. It is a waste of time focusing on trying to catch people with bomb and metal detectors on one mode of transport while leaving many others untouched. We need to catch people through other means like getting to root causes, investigations, community outreach, border security, etc. If there are terrorist here the government needs to figure out how to identify them and figure out how they got here, not throw up easily visible minor roadblocks to their activities. A terrorist isn't going to walk through a permanent security checkpoint loaded with metal and exposives... it would be stupid. A terrorist who is blocked from doing one thing isn't a reduced threat, he is simply a redirected but still existing threat. The only way to reduce crime or terrorism is to reduce the number of criminals and terrorists. Minor obstacles don't change the nature of a person.

While I have always thought the Island Ferries would be good terrorist targets, I don't think this will be a good idea. I have taken the ferries during weekends and unless there are multiple metal detectors this idea will make it much more difficult to get to the islands. If they make the gates like the entrance to Wonderland it shouldn't be too bad, but that would be very expensive.

During my frosh week each of us were searched before entering the island by two security guards and the line was insane. I can only imagine how crazy it would be down there if everyone was searched and forced through metal detectors.

The ferry service in new york <-> staten island don't even check your bags, and coolers nor any visable metal detectors. Why does Toronto need them?

While I have always thought the Island Ferries would be good terrorist targets,

Depending on the state of paranoia, anything is a "good" terrorist target. Sticking metal detectors on eveything is ludicrous.

May as well close all the malls, or do mass strip searches.

Regulations are needed to make all products clear so everything can be seen is the way to go. Clear cellphones, computers, knapsacks, clothing, vehicles, etc. Either that or x-ray glasses need to be made a reality. Temporarily public nudity could be mandated.

Ah, if only LeDrew was elected mayor
xrayad1.gif

the airport could just move their detectors to the city side making the entire airport complex "airside".

Back